Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 67 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 69 reviews)

"Ops Excellence Mgr"

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work enviroment, diversity, salary, cafeteria

Cons

Politics, not very stable, many layers in the org

Advice to Management

none

"Supply chain leader"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Leader in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Leader in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low cost of living in Columbus, offers green card sponsorship, hires new entry level all the time so constantly having new faces, open concept office space

Cons

Too many people with "leader" in the title with zero leadership skills, extremely political - even HR is promoting the company as relationship based company, terrible managers get away with terrible treatment of their staff since it is a small town so there are no other jobs, you just accept terrible treatments from your bosses, terrible benefits that only singles and fresh graduate can accept, small town thinking - most people including executives are from small town in Midwest with small town thinking

Advice to Management

Start to move faster instead of happily being the last mover in industry, new startups like Tesla are going to make diesel engines obsolete in next 5 years, remove the "leader" titles, leader titles are earned not given, good luck - you need lots of it for the company to survive another few years

3. "Warehouse"

Former Contractor - Warehouse Worker in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Warehouse Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Cummins as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the only pros of working at Cummins Portland was the beginning pay scale.

Cons

Unfair treatment and discriminatory practices ranging from supervisors to lead safety supervisor.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees fairly and not favor certain employees because of race or otherwise. I would also advise management to seek more training in selection of experienced personnel and to drug test full time employees especially after three incidents damaging not only company property but equipment and then getting a permanent job regardless of said employees reckless manner. Sure he was favored by safety supervisor and management therefore was not ever reprimanded in no way but offered full time employment by Cummins and others bypassed.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cummins has good learning opportunities and very interesting jobs for electrical, mechanical, controls engineers. It offers decent benefits, good work culture and work life balance

Cons

It has an indecisive environment because of lack of accountability. People spend hours and hours in meeting without any decision making and it is prevalent across different teams and different business unit, which suggests leadership's shortcoming

Advice to Management

You are encouraging employees to change roles every 2 years, which results in lack of accountability (people thinking I will be gone in few months why bother to get it right) and wrong people moving to wrong leadership roles (Electrical engineer who worked at the test bench for most of his career, never set foot in a plant or dealt with suppliers and customers becomes a supply chain manager, who is suppose to give directions to other supply chain planners)

6. "Stressful and overworked for the pay scale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have great coworkers who always are available to help and diagnose issues. Also, I'm constantly learning how to troubleshoot both Alternating Current and Direct Current circuits.

Cons

Being paid the same as other "large test testers" when they basically require maybe 1/10 of the knowledge we're required to know, they are either overpaid, or systems testers are extremely underpaid because the difference in requirements to perform this position successfully feels like a crime knowing another department is being paid the same as us but are required to know and do sooooooooo much less!

Advice to Management

Review how much knowledge and responsibilities are needed being a Test 3 employee in systems vs Test 3 Large Test, it's like comparing college football vs NFL, it's so unfair how much more work, knowledge and responsibilities are REQUIRED to be in systems against plugging in some test leads and fastening on some pipes and having the Generators run a automatic test while the testers sit back and monitor them in an air conditioned room, and if a unit has a problem and it fails the test all they have to do is write on a card what was wrong and what did it work and that's it they aren't required to troubleshoot anything meanwhile we have an extremely stressful amount of troubleshooting.... like I say all you need to do is spend one week in each field to realize how unfair it is that we are getting the same exact pay because as soon as a large test job opens up I'm going to leave this department (and I'm sure all the other testers will as well) strictly because, why do all this extra work and all this stress for troubleshooting and pressure to hit shipping deadlines??? When I can just hook up some leads and fasten on some exhaust pipes and sit back (in AIR CONDITIONING) and watch the generator run while the automated test runs? It's comparing apples to oranges they're not even in the same class yet we both have the same title as TEST 3?? If you really think I'm just giving my personal opinion, you should take anybody from large test and bring them over to systems and see if they can even catch on after one month and I guarantee 95% of them will fail or would quit, I am 100% positive that you could ask any of them if they would choose systems test over large test and they would all prefer large test it's clear as day!

"Company on the Decline"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Cummins full-time as an engineer for more than 6 years. The company seems to value diversity.

Cons

Forced ranking is the biggest weakness in this company which feeds the every 3-4 year layoff cycle. Layoffs target experienced employees with typically 5 or more years of experience. The longer one stays in the company, the longer he/she is expected to be laid off. The lack of experienced engineers is a direct consequence of this forced lay off which in turn impacts the productivity of the engineering groups.

Another area of concern is the weak and corrupt leadership that is solely driven by political gains over actual work. Management has unrealistic expectations from engineers while there is no training/development plan whatsoever to help them reach even close to those expectations. Favoritism is rampant within organizations and the HR department seems to turn a blind eye to management's unethical behavior. The corporate management is focused on stockholders and not employees. This company is at best an option for college graduates to get a foot in the door but I would not recommend it as a place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Stop with the political agenda and blatant favoritism and focus on actual work. Focus on hiring and retaining talent for the right reasons and the profits will come.

8. "They took er jobs"

Former Contractor - Software Support Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Contractor - Software Support Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

the salad bar was nice

Cons

sent my job to India, my pay was poor

Advice to Management

hire more local IT

9. "This branch is a joke"

Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money, great benefits ,

Cons

The money you make it all come frome over time because according to the branch manager we were over paid and we were lucky to be making the money we did. Sooo if you feel like working from sun up to sun down while the bosses come in from 8 to 5 or 7 to 4 yeah this place is for you. There is no work life balance!! for lower ranking employees because it slows down the day to day so at this branch get ready for 11 to 13 in a half hour days on a 30 min lunch and 2, 15 min breaks that need to be taken at 10 am and 3 pm , cuz if you dont do it at that time you loose the opportunity to take your breaks for that day. This comes down from the branch manager and his inept ways of interpreting the employee hand book. Oh and yea that had book is a guideline for everyone but management . Those guys have the full authority to go to lunch have a few drinks and return to work and are held to no kind of standards because as he would like to put it "i payed his dues ". This branch is a joke on the service side , the parts department is good but the simple guys that run the service side are a bunch of hacks. If you are an experienced diesel tech with a brain please do your self a favor and work for a cummins vranch just not this one, at least until corporate sees what a bunch of a$! hats are running the show. Ill put it to you this way , if these guys were to get fired they would starve in the streets because all they have is the sad stories of when they were techs and their lack of experience to do the jobs that they are supposed to do. All these guys can do is pass the buck in pointless e mails and meetings.

Advice to Management

Quit !!!

"Lots of layoffs... think twice before working here!!!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, some good people

Cons

Layoffs are ridiculous, very poor management team, they lie so much about work life balance. They say they care but that is false. Cummins will work you to death and lay you off!!!

Advice to Management

Start telling the truth about work life balance. You don't care about your employees home life! You only want people to work super long hours and when the market gets a little unfavorable, you need to stop laying off the people who have sacrificed so much for you.

"Dallas Branch is a joke. Do not work for this place if you don't want to get paid what you are worth. Former Technician."

Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The other technicians I worked with on a daily basis is the only reason I stayed there so long.

Cons

Horrible Management
    HR is a joke
    Pay is also a joke. In 3.5 years I got a total of 95 cents in raises.
    Benefits are horrendous, about $1,000 a month just for Medical for my family. Only high deductible plans.
    No bonuses of any kind.(Unless you are upper management)
    But they will promise you the world, but never deliver.

Showing 144 of 2,247 reviews