Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom Linebarger

2,002 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 70 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 71 reviews)

"Too bad the emphasis isn't on actual performance and quality."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Columbus, IN

Pros

Lots of different opportunities in a variety of facets- engine size, application, etc.

Cons

Yearly ranking that is based more on who you know and how much you suck up rather than how good of a job you actually do.

Advice to Management

The ranking system is flawed, and actual performance is not recognized at the lower levels. There is so much push for people to 'look good' that when an issue is found no one wants to bring it up. From all of my managers the lesson has been the same 'My way or the highway'.

"Profitable at the expense of employees"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Columbus, IN

Pros

Cummins has maintained profitability, or at least near-profitability, when many other automotive suppliers are failing. They have driven at least one competitor out of business. Although their engineering tools and processes are largely insular and proprietary, they have a large amount of knowledge and are highly scientific in their product development. They claim to embrace diversity and not tolerate discrimination of any kind, and in the heavy truck industry, offered domestic partner benefits while risking their reputation. Of course, the world did not end.

Cons

Cummins is able to get around its own diversity policies through use of contract employees who work for employers without full protection in place. It may not be common, but in my short tenure, there were several cases of managers starting their own businesses on company time with company resources. Those businesses then received preference during the bidding process (if there even was one). They use the Rating and Ranking System developed by Jack Welch of GE, which GE had abandoned years ago. The poorest performers are fired every few years. While this sounds somewhat reasonable, the system is weakened by the political process where managers' favorites are saved at the expense of sometimes talented individuals. This also creates considerable fear within the workforce, as well as a lack of cooperation and collaboration between employees. There are many people right out of college, but most of the 30- and 40- somethings are either gone, in stagnant protected positions, or are management. All in all, this company creates great financial results, but it would seem at the expense of its people.

Advice to Management

It is time for a close look at the way people are treated at this company. Even though fair treatment can be detrimental to the bottom line in the short run, long-term, you will create loyalty and pride within the workforce. This is something I have seen at many other companies that was absent at Cummins. Looking at the rampant conflicts of interest within the company is also necessary. Lastly, a diversity policy is meaningless if it can be skirted by simply hiring a contract employee whose employer lacks any of the policies of the client company.

"Cummins, "We put our employees first"...untill time for layoffs"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Columbus, IN

Pros

Great place if you like to sit and philosophize in meetings all day instead of actuaully doing work.
    Cummins boasts of there great salaries in comparison with the area. This is a great way to attract talent from secure jobs. Had a record year in sales 2008 and 2007 although took full advantage of the economy situation to do what they are notorious for....layoffs in large numbers.

Cons

Like many others, I had a very secure job in design for 18 years when at the beginning of 08 Cummins bragged about there massive hiring frenzy. I, like many others were attracted to an increase in pay. Less than 10 months later, layoffs in mass quantities..using the economy as an excuse....(Did I mention they had record sales in 2008 and 2009 ?) If you are the type of employee that loves to attend meetings, improve your security by inflated Six Sigma attributes, and basically philosophize
    rather than hands on development, Cummins is your place. Oh yes, forced ranking, Cummins refuses to accept that the old school philosophy of scare them to death on a daily basis does not motivate employees. One other comment, Cummins likes to shine in the community papers as always helping the community, employees walking old ladies across the streets. Could this possibly be because the employees are actually graded on this in there forced ranking process ?
    I ask is Cummins really a leader in community evolvement and "Putting there employees first" when if you look at there history, they have no problem with massive layoffs to get there bottom line numbers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

"Service Engineer"

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Fridley, MN
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Fridley, MN

Pros

Discount at local NPower Service Center. Good training program. Plenty of work to do. Good people at the lower levels, usually leave after a bit of time in the company.

Cons

Paid 15K less than market. Poor opportunities for promotion. Unfriendly work environment that is slow and foreign to change. Frustrated workforce, stuck in current positions due to weak economy. Poor management, no leadership is evident.

Advice to Management

This management group is unable or unwilling to take any advice. Not there style. This is not an inspiring group of people.

"Great Place for the "Good Ole Boys" to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Pros

International travel allowed for development of management skills with non-english speakers.
    If you are local to Columbus and you have contact with upper management then you have a job for life.

Cons

The company works similar to herding cattle, they bring you in from out of town and work you to death until you no longer provide a benefit to them and then you are out the door.

Advice to Management

An employee does not need to work from the factory up into the general office inorder to prove them selves. I have known many intelligent individuals let go from Cummins to prove successful within other companies working the same level of position. Sometimes someone that has not worked "30 years" in the comany has relevant inforamtion to further develop the company into a higher ranking of the fourtune 500.

"Not well supported in Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoughton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoughton, WI

Pros

Cummins believes in training and education. They reward innovation. There is pride in the product and the fact that it helps the environment.

Cons

The company employes a performance model based on a normal distribution. There are a set number of achievers at each level. This produces a homogeneous culture of like-minded people and sometimes competition can be very fierce for the top spots.

"Workplace that lacks ability adapt to changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Great Salary
    Lots of Diversity

Cons

Do not stick by mission and/or values
    Management lacking in communication
    Management very contradictory
    Lots of politics and plenty of "playing favorites"
    Management deflects blame from themselves onto the employees below them even when management is clearly at fault
    Lacking in adequate training/mentoring for new hires
    Only care about bottom lines, not about employee development or growth

Advice to Management

Really start to listen to your employees whether they have years of experience or are just starting out as an intern. Also improvement on lack of communication and/or contradicting communication is a MUST.

"Not consistent"

Former Employee - Warranty Department in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Warranty Department in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Benefits including medical insurance and 401(k) are in line with other comparable companies. Salaries are average, but not always consistent with experience and seniority.

Cons

Managers have little or no training for their department. Long-term employees are often laid off or terminated without a valid or apparent reason. Rules for employees are often unclear, constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Listen to and reward your productive and loyal employees. Promote from within and give managers training in their new position prior to promotion.

"Sudden Change"

Former Employee - Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technician in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Comparable benefits and pay scale. Raises given. They were seldom on time, but were made retroactive.

Cons

Up until May 2011, I was happy with my job and felt I was an excellent employee. In the course of about two days, everything changed. I was removed from the position I held for 22 years and told I would be working in a completely different area. When I reported to work, I waited for two hours to be assigned anything to do, but never was. I have sincerely tried to work with management to find out what happened, but other employees have been told not to ask questions about me. Everyone is being very secretive. I have finally resigned, feeling I was forced to do so, after being employed there since 1989. I would have liked to work until retirement, five years away, at the very least.

Advice to Management

At one time, Cummins Atlantic was a superior place to work. Their position change for me was completely unexpected on my part, even though my supervisors may have decided on it beforehand. There are very unfair practices going on, and I am glad I am no longer employed there.

"ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Pros

Latest equipment and software to work on. Easy to become a lead engineer with a couple of years of experience. Not much work load, so not much work load pressure.

Cons

Office space is very old and is more like a factory than a company. Much old school type of company , and too much documentation than need. Need to write 3 different documents to record one change

Advice to Management

Improve the facilities. Especially cafeteria and restrooms.They feel like factory and not office space.
    If someone does not like the place that they are working in, they would never like the work on the whole.

Showing 2,002 of 2,301 reviews