Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

1,928 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,928 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 64 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 67 reviews)

"Technical Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, there are some good people to work with. Work-life balance.

Cons

Lot of hiring and layoffs every year. Poor management

2. "Sr. Maufacturing Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cummins it is one of the work place that enjoy working, the respect by your ideas and working style cummins is very respectfully. like a place to work is "The promise land", with excellent work relationship, fast involvement, focus on goals & results.

Cons

Migration Status, actually living in U.S., El Paso, Tx., I was contracted like Mexican Worker, company does not have capacity to change my salary status to U.S. Salary, not in in the El Paso, Tx area

Advice to Management

Management has the honestly to said me, that my condition does not have possible in the area, but If I want they can relocate me in other facility in U.S.
    Just make the company if there are foreign workers made arrangement necessary to have the benefits from mexican IRS Art 153.

3. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Controls Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Controls Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's great variability in the work that you will perform. Depending on the team that you end up working for, you might really love your job or not enjoy it that much.
    Cummins offers flexibility in exploring other roles and shadowing other people.
    The care that they provide to the community is excellent.

Cons

There are few groups that do most of their development in C which limits the growth for true software developers.
    Can be difficult to excel unless you switch roles as soon as you can.
    Compensation policies tend to underpay key talent.

5. "Well structured company"

Former Employee - Business Specialist in Vaya Chin, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Specialist in Vaya Chin, AZ

I worked at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment and colleagues; good self development plan; lots internal transfer opportunities

Cons

Slow internal process; terrible overseas factory schedule and logistics

6. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a certain energy at Cummins that I think is unique and it really can't be explained. Every day, I am excited to go to work, not only because I enjoy the challenging work and the endless learning opportunities, but I am equally as excited about the people I get to work with side-by-side. On the flip side, every day when I am driving home, I reflect on my day, which usually includes how impressed I am with the leadership and the talented people I get work with. Cummins has a great environment that is all-inclusive. Benefits are generous. Work/life balance is heavily promoted.

Cons

There are no cons working at Cummins!

7. "This branch is a joke"

Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money, great benefits ,

Cons

The money you make it all come frome over time because according to the branch manager we were over paid and we were lucky to be making the money we did. Sooo if you feel like working from sun up to sun down while the bosses come in from 8 to 5 or 7 to 4 yeah this place is for you. There is no work life balance!! for lower ranking employees because it slows down the day to day so at this branch get ready for 11 to 13 in a half hour days on a 30 min lunch and 2, 15 min breaks that need to be taken at 10 am and 3 pm , cuz if you dont do it at that time you loose the opportunity to take your breaks for that day. This comes down from the branch manager and his inept ways of interpreting the employee hand book. Oh and yea that had book is a guideline for everyone but management . Those guys have the full authority to go to lunch have a few drinks and return to work and are held to no kind of standards because as he would like to put it "i payed his dues ". This branch is a joke on the service side , the parts department is good but the simple guys that run the service side are a bunch of hacks. If you are an experienced diesel tech with a brain please do your self a favor and work for a cummins vranch just not this one, at least until corporate sees what a bunch of a$! hats are running the show. Ill put it to you this way , if these guys were to get fired they would starve in the streets because all they have is the sad stories of when they were techs and their lack of experience to do the jobs that they are supposed to do. All these guys can do is pass the buck in pointless e mails and meetings.

Advice to Management

Quit !!!

8. "Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Product Engineer Intern in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Product Engineer Intern in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

caring employee centric well paid job

Cons

little risky technology in the current time

9. "Good work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good team environment,
    Good opportunities for individual and professional growth.
    Very good diverse environment
    Good benefits

Cons

Nothing that I can think of right now

"Good Starter Company"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer - Technical Specialist in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is an alright starter company.

Cons

The yearly raises are very low compared to the overall industry standards. Management is very cliquish and under qualified. It is very hard to rise up through the ranks merely through hard work.

Advice to Management

Get some management training.

"Average at Best"

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is income. Decent people to work with.

Cons

Company controls cost through layoffs rather than elimination of waste or efficiency gains. A severe lack of standardization from plant to plant, business to business. The layoff cycle really hurts continuous improvement and moral. Management has to do 2 - 3 jobs. When this happens, only the biggest fires are attended to and the attention to their employees suffers. Upper management very slowly, if at all, back fills holes. Health insurance is poor for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Save cost through efficiency and improvement and not the easy, brainless method of layoffs. Just like preventative maintenance (PMs) it takes money and time, but pays off in the long run.

Showing 1,928 of 2,204 reviews