Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

1,958 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,958 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 67 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 69 reviews)

1. "Stressful and overworked for the pay scale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have great coworkers who always are available to help and diagnose issues. Also, I'm constantly learning how to troubleshoot both Alternating Current and Direct Current circuits.

Cons

Being paid the same as other "large test testers" when they basically require maybe 1/10 of the knowledge we're required to know, they are either overpaid, or systems testers are extremely underpaid because the difference in requirements to perform this position successfully feels like a crime knowing another department is being paid the same as us but are required to know and do sooooooooo much less!

Advice to Management

Review how much knowledge and responsibilities are needed being a Test 3 employee in systems vs Test 3 Large Test, it's like comparing college football vs NFL, it's so unfair how much more work, knowledge and responsibilities are REQUIRED to be in systems against plugging in some test leads and fastening on some pipes and having the Generators run a automatic test while the testers sit back and monitor them in an air conditioned room, and if a unit has a problem and it fails the test all they have to do is write on a card what was wrong and what did it work and that's it they aren't required to troubleshoot anything meanwhile we have an extremely stressful amount of troubleshooting.... like I say all you need to do is spend one week in each field to realize how unfair it is that we are getting the same exact pay because as soon as a large test job opens up I'm going to leave this department (and I'm sure all the other testers will as well) strictly because, why do all this extra work and all this stress for troubleshooting and pressure to hit shipping deadlines??? When I can just hook up some leads and fasten on some exhaust pipes and sit back (in AIR CONDITIONING) and watch the generator run while the automated test runs? It's comparing apples to oranges they're not even in the same class yet we both have the same title as TEST 3?? If you really think I'm just giving my personal opinion, you should take anybody from large test and bring them over to systems and see if they can even catch on after one month and I guarantee 95% of them will fail or would quit, I am 100% positive that you could ask any of them if they would choose systems test over large test and they would all prefer large test it's clear as day!

"Company on the Decline"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Cummins full-time as an engineer for more than 6 years. The company seems to value diversity.

Cons

Forced ranking is the biggest weakness in this company which feeds the every 3-4 year layoff cycle. Layoffs target experienced employees with typically 5 or more years of experience. The longer one stays in the company, the longer he/she is expected to be laid off. The lack of experienced engineers is a direct consequence of this forced lay off which in turn impacts the productivity of the engineering groups.

Another area of concern is the weak and corrupt leadership that is solely driven by political gains over actual work. Management has unrealistic expectations from engineers while there is no training/development plan whatsoever to help them reach even close to those expectations. Favoritism is rampant within organizations and the HR department seems to turn a blind eye to management's unethical behavior. The corporate management is focused on stockholders and not employees. This company is at best an option for college graduates to get a foot in the door but I would not recommend it as a place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Stop with the political agenda and blatant favoritism and focus on actual work. Focus on hiring and retaining talent for the right reasons and the profits will come.

3. "Site Leader"

Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great leadership team, diverse and good workforce

Cons

Not aggressive and innovative enough

Advice to Management

drive more changes and accountability

5. "Good company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with great people who are friendly. Columbus is a very nice quiet town.

Cons

The distribution of work among employees

Advice to Management

Improve workload balance between employees

"Above all, Average place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- average to good benefits
    - values work-life balance!
    - values employee's health

Cons

- very stubborn in their processes and less results driven

Advice to Management

Manage down as well as you manage up. Invest in the new people and mentor/educate them to not lose young talent.

"Technical Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, there are some good people to work with. Work-life balance.

Cons

Lot of hiring and layoffs every year. Poor management

8. "Sr. Maufacturing Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cummins it is one of the work place that enjoy working, the respect by your ideas and working style cummins is very respectfully. like a place to work is "The promise land", with excellent work relationship, fast involvement, focus on goals & results.

Cons

Migration Status, actually living in U.S., El Paso, Tx., I was contracted like Mexican Worker, company does not have capacity to change my salary status to U.S. Salary, not in in the El Paso, Tx area

Advice to Management

Management has the honestly to said me, that my condition does not have possible in the area, but If I want they can relocate me in other facility in U.S.
    Just make the company if there are foreign workers made arrangement necessary to have the benefits from mexican IRS Art 153.

9. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Controls Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Controls Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's great variability in the work that you will perform. Depending on the team that you end up working for, you might really love your job or not enjoy it that much.
    Cummins offers flexibility in exploring other roles and shadowing other people.
    The care that they provide to the community is excellent.

Cons

There are few groups that do most of their development in C which limits the growth for true software developers.
    Can be difficult to excel unless you switch roles as soon as you can.
    Compensation policies tend to underpay key talent.

10. "Well structured company"

Former Employee - Business Specialist in Vaya Chin, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Specialist in Vaya Chin, AZ

I worked at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment and colleagues; good self development plan; lots internal transfer opportunities

Cons

Slow internal process; terrible overseas factory schedule and logistics

11. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a certain energy at Cummins that I think is unique and it really can't be explained. Every day, I am excited to go to work, not only because I enjoy the challenging work and the endless learning opportunities, but I am equally as excited about the people I get to work with side-by-side. On the flip side, every day when I am driving home, I reflect on my day, which usually includes how impressed I am with the leadership and the talented people I get work with. Cummins has a great environment that is all-inclusive. Benefits are generous. Work/life balance is heavily promoted.

Cons

There are no cons working at Cummins!

Showing 1,958 of 2,241 reviews