Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,001 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 70 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 71 reviews)

"Supply chain leader"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Leader in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Leader in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low cost of living in Columbus, offers green card sponsorship, hires new entry level all the time so constantly having new faces, open concept office space

Cons

Too many people with "leader" in the title with zero leadership skills, extremely political - even HR is promoting the company as relationship based company, terrible managers get away with terrible treatment of their staff since it is a small town so there are no other jobs, you just accept terrible treatments from your bosses, terrible benefits that only singles and fresh graduate can accept, small town thinking - most people including executives are from small town in Midwest with small town thinking

Advice to Management

Start to move faster instead of happily being the last mover in industry, new startups like Tesla are going to make diesel engines obsolete in next 5 years, remove the "leader" titles, leader titles are earned not given, good luck - you need lots of it for the company to survive another few years

2. "Great community focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many perks for working for this company. They offer an amazing number of opportunities to help in community based projects. They have several focus groups.

Cons

Pressure based performance; not as systematically organized as expected. Feels political and bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Be authentic and honest - say what you mean and mean what you say.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cummins has good learning opportunities and very interesting jobs for electrical, mechanical, controls engineers. It offers decent benefits, good work culture and work life balance

Cons

It has an indecisive environment because of lack of accountability. People spend hours and hours in meeting without any decision making and it is prevalent across different teams and different business unit, which suggests leadership's shortcoming

Advice to Management

You are encouraging employees to change roles every 2 years, which results in lack of accountability (people thinking I will be gone in few months why bother to get it right) and wrong people moving to wrong leadership roles (Electrical engineer who worked at the test bench for most of his career, never set foot in a plant or dealt with suppliers and customers becomes a supply chain manager, who is suppose to give directions to other supply chain planners)

"Mixed bag - Confused leadership, Leadership Team is a club with great ideas but no courage and execution focus"

Former Employee - Finance Director in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to learn in early stages of your career. Process H1 visa very freely. Good for people who like to talk and be in limelight without delivering anything. If you are a 'yes man', you will do well.

Cons

Do not value outside company experience. Favoritism. Does not value courage or out of the box thinking..

Advice to Management

Management who does not walk the talk will make Cummins directionless and you will not be able to grow. You will only talk about growing without delivering growth.

"Director Global Supply Chain for a BU"

Former Employee - Director Supply Chain in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Director Supply Chain in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best companies to grow as a a Global Leader. Values based Organization and best environments to work for. Cummins cares about its employees like a family and this is very rare in this age. Growth is based on your own motivation to own your career. I was fortunate to be part of thisCompany for over 12 Years and am very grateful for all the Opportunities i got to grow and contribute.

Cons

Cummins has ( in my view) lost its focus on its core and its mission with so. Of the disruption we are seeing in its core products . Its not Clear to me me where the company is headed. We have also become ( again in my view) a company that values consensus and alignment more than innovation or dissent.

Advice to Management

You know what needs to happen. Its starts with geeting Rich to run the Company. Tom( needs to do something else ( he is a great strategist but weak on execution and innovation in my view ) . If we don't get next gen products, Cummins will end up with fate of IBM typewriters.

6. "Stressful and overworked for the pay scale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have great coworkers who always are available to help and diagnose issues. Also, I'm constantly learning how to troubleshoot both Alternating Current and Direct Current circuits.

Cons

Being paid the same as other "large test testers" when they basically require maybe 1/10 of the knowledge we're required to know, they are either overpaid, or systems testers are extremely underpaid because the difference in requirements to perform this position successfully feels like a crime knowing another department is being paid the same as us but are required to know and do sooooooooo much less!

Advice to Management

Review how much knowledge and responsibilities are needed being a Test 3 employee in systems vs Test 3 Large Test, it's like comparing college football vs NFL, it's so unfair how much more work, knowledge and responsibilities are REQUIRED to be in systems against plugging in some test leads and fastening on some pipes and having the Generators run a automatic test while the testers sit back and monitor them in an air conditioned room, and if a unit has a problem and it fails the test all they have to do is write on a card what was wrong and what did it work and that's it they aren't required to troubleshoot anything meanwhile we have an extremely stressful amount of troubleshooting.... like I say all you need to do is spend one week in each field to realize how unfair it is that we are getting the same exact pay because as soon as a large test job opens up I'm going to leave this department (and I'm sure all the other testers will as well) strictly because, why do all this extra work and all this stress for troubleshooting and pressure to hit shipping deadlines??? When I can just hook up some leads and fasten on some exhaust pipes and sit back (in AIR CONDITIONING) and watch the generator run while the automated test runs? It's comparing apples to oranges they're not even in the same class yet we both have the same title as TEST 3?? If you really think I'm just giving my personal opinion, you should take anybody from large test and bring them over to systems and see if they can even catch on after one month and I guarantee 95% of them will fail or would quit, I am 100% positive that you could ask any of them if they would choose systems test over large test and they would all prefer large test it's clear as day!

"Company on the Decline"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Cummins full-time as an engineer for more than 6 years. The company seems to value diversity.

Cons

Forced ranking is the biggest weakness in this company which feeds the every 3-4 year layoff cycle. Layoffs target experienced employees with typically 5 or more years of experience. The longer one stays in the company, the longer he/she is expected to be laid off. The lack of experienced engineers is a direct consequence of this forced lay off which in turn impacts the productivity of the engineering groups.

Another area of concern is the weak and corrupt leadership that is solely driven by political gains over actual work. Management has unrealistic expectations from engineers while there is no training/development plan whatsoever to help them reach even close to those expectations. Favoritism is rampant within organizations and the HR department seems to turn a blind eye to management's unethical behavior. The corporate management is focused on stockholders and not employees. This company is at best an option for college graduates to get a foot in the door but I would not recommend it as a place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Stop with the political agenda and blatant favoritism and focus on actual work. Focus on hiring and retaining talent for the right reasons and the profits will come.

8. "Site Leader"

Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great leadership team, diverse and good workforce

Cons

Not aggressive and innovative enough

Advice to Management

drive more changes and accountability

9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with great people who are friendly. Columbus is a very nice quiet town.

Cons

The distribution of work among employees

Advice to Management

Improve workload balance between employees

"Above all, Average place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- average to good benefits
    - values work-life balance!
    - values employee's health

Cons

- very stubborn in their processes and less results driven

Advice to Management

Manage down as well as you manage up. Invest in the new people and mentor/educate them to not lose young talent.

Showing 2,001 of 2,300 reviews