Cumulus Networks Reviews

Updated May 18, 2020

4.4
Cumulus Networks CEO Josh Leslie
Josh Leslie
Pros
  • "As far as work/life balance goes - there is so much balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Interesting work that allows for learning new skills, some nice perks like free lunch and excellent dental/vision coverage(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, very open company. Great People.

Cons

No issues I can think of

2. COVID-19

"Company that values its people"

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time

Pros

Cumulus leadership has always put its people first. Before the COVID pandemic, and especially during, the senior leadership at Cumulus has always ensured that their prioritize the needs of their employees before the needs of the company. By proactively providing transparent communication, coaching management to effectively engage with their teams, and transitioning policies to adapt to new work environments, Cumulus has always prioritized its greatest assets: its employees.

Cons

Networking as an industry is rough, and there are times that it can feel like a grind. This can be exacerbated by unclear organizational objectives.

3. "Very good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Individual contributers with superb skills

Cons

limited execution capabilities and overhead

"The Leader in Disaggregated Network Operating Systems"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has carved a niche in the disaggregated network operating system business. This is a difficult market to enter with such established an enormous competitors as Cisco and Arista. Sales and growth are good, but not fantastic. "Open" permeates everything. From communication, to the work spaces, to the software itself. If you want to know anything, you can ask anyone, including the CEO. The engineering team, and the technology, are top-notch. When working here, prepare to be challenged. You will most likely be working with people who are smarter and more experienced than you. But despite that, most everyone is humble and helpful.

Cons

Recently, the push to "get releases out on time", as well as the number of releases, has reduced what was previously a good work-life balance. Management seems to understand this, and is working to address this. There has been some important turn-over recently. The CEO asked the founder and CTO to leave the company. A senior director in engineering recently left when his role was redefined. A few of the long-time engineers have moved on too. These changes aren't necessarily bad, just be prepared for change. Over the last 1-2 years the company has staffed a significant engineering team in India, approx the same size as in the US. The communication challenges in dealing with a 12-hour time difference are impacting morale, with many early morning (US) or late night (India) meetings.

Continue reading

"Leading the shift to white box and open source networking - Cumulus has grown up"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Transparent leadership; flexible work environment; friendly, talented staff. Currently leaving the awkward adolescent phase of company life, dynamic but chaotic early startup existence is past. Shifting to focus on reliable, high-quality product delivery.

Cons

Tight staffing can make for challenging schedules

Continue reading

"A sad outcome for a high potential company"

Former Employee - Business Development in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of typical perks at Cumulus Networks such as free snacks, catered lunches, frequent happy hours and unlimited PTO. Culture was great up until early 2019. People started losing confidence in the vision, there was a lot of turnover, and morale seemed to drop in the office.

Cons

But there's an unhealthy work/life balance. Even though work from home and PTO is flexible, it is really common for people to work on weekends and late into the evening. Recommend turning off your email settings or you might go crazy. The culture was great for the first few years but since the CTO and co-founder he departed (by request) the culture quickly declined. Fewer people in the office, less excitement and vision for the company overall.

Continue reading

"Loosing Direction and heading towards fire sale"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One product that created a brand.

Cons

Total loss of direction and heading towards a firesale. The management does not believe that new versions of software really wins them customers. It is clear from inside stories and the years I was around. Overseas expansion and "chiefs" setup is a clear desperate move to put them on the buying block. Total hypocrisy in the next software release announcements; They dont stand by their comments in their strategy inside the company. They just dont know how to sustain quality but they sure know how to project a hyprocritic strategy.

Cumulus Networks Response

CEO

Hi, When it comes to social media we have to take the good with the bad. While some of our colleagues have taken time to offer constructive feedback, which we always welcome, the overwhelming majority of our Glassdoor reviews reflect pride in our company and our products and satisfaction with Cumulus culture and our direction. The downside of the anonymous nature of Glassdoor is it does allow for the occasional individual who may have an ax to grind to post malicious falsehoods to serve their own agenda. You wrote that you spent many years at Cumulus, and from your comments, you were clearly deeply involved in products and strategy. That makes your comments particularly disappointing. You, as a long-time Cumulus employee, should realize how many incredibly talented and committed people that put their hearts into our latest set of software releases. I'm proud of their effort and commitment, and the resulting products that we have delivered to the market. We as a company and as a leadership team stand 100% behind our products, and our people. Regards, Josh

8. "A great company to work where you can get things done"

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, dedicated, passionate people in a company with great benefits!

Cons

Typical startup pains, high turnover in sales org.

Continue reading

"High Autonomy and High Collaboration"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Highly technical and senior coworkers. Love the 'one riot, one ranger' mentality - you own the results in your technical area, but there are very senior colleagues to call on for help, and they all are willing to help. Still a scrappy startup, but over time, healthy process improvements have rolled in to improve the overall workflow and quality. Low BS.

Cons

Senior execs travel to our remote office for a day or two every quarter, but engineering managers never do - even though we are the number 2 site by size. That creates an HQ centric organization.

"Your ideal startup"

I have been working at Cumulus Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is type of startup where you're excited for the every day sprint. It's a fast paced environment but it never feels like a death march. It has a great culture and community.

Cons

Same as all startups, processes get changed/revamped to adapt the company's current stage. This can cause some confusion but it allows for open discussion and improvement.

Found 122 reviews