Cunningham Children's Home Reviews | Glassdoor

Marlin Livingston

1. "School Staff ROCK"

Current Employee - Clerical in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Clerical in Urbana, IL

Pros

Great program! Staff work well together!

Cons

High turnover rate in the residential units, hard to build relationships with kids when staff are always leaving. This is not a job, it's a program to help kids grow

"Worst company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Night Staff in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Night Staff in Urbana, IL

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids have hard lives. To know you made a difference is amazing. To see changes makes you realize what you did for them.

Cons

This is easily the worst management I ever worked for. I am not in the least bit exaggerating. Working as night staff I was constantly left alone and I had to think what might happen if something went down. None of the managers or executive staff cared one bit for you, your safety or your morale. God help you if you did report something. You were instantly a bad person. Car gets destroyed? That is your problem. Get fingers chopped off by a kid? Your problem. If you chose to make a police report your management would be on the phone with you in two seconds with their passive aggressive crap telling you that you don't really need to report. Money money money. That is all they care about.

Advice to Management

Every single one of the executives deserves to be fire and sued and made to never run a company again. Get off your hill and go figure out what is really happening. You are awful people.

3. "Provides much-needed support to kids in need"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Does good work with kids in need, opportunites to get outside on the big campus, time off benefits are good, casual dress code, good newsletter to keep everyone connected, good reputation state-wide for working with challenging cases

Cons

Lots of communication via e-mail, so keeping up can be challenging. Any non-profit relying on the state of Illinois for funding is going to experience concerns keeping up with all of the needs of kids and staff.

Advice to Management

Communicate as much and as often as possible so everyone knows what is going on.

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to work with kids, your fellow co-workers become true friends. There are days when you know you are making a difference.

Cons

Management doesn't care about the staff. I have seen a number of excellent staff who have wprked at CCH 5+years leave this past year. CCH doesn't care about staff or kids. Really money focused. I've seen management cover up incidents that may be "embarrassing" for the agency which goes against their core values. The higher ups target staff if they do report an incident. A lot of injuries due to the population I work with, and the management blames the staff. Not enough staff, they want you to work on your days off. Then over loaded on paperwork.

Advice to Management

Do something. If you say you have core values follow them. If you say your affiliated with the Methodist Church then act like it. People and staff know you have done former staff members wrong for reporting inappropriate things. Everyone knows a certain coordinator was run out after reporting an incident. There is no accountability for management.

6. "A very rewarding experience, working to help children change their lives."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission focused human service agency, working with children that have experienced severe neglect and trauma in their lives. Each day is unique, with it's own challenges and rewards.

Cons

The youth we serve have very high needs, it's not so much a con, but something to be aware of. It takes the right person to work in direct care. Know yourself before you can be of service to our kids.

"Constant turnover"

Former Employee - Day Counselor in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Day Counselor in Urbana, IL

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The different people and cultures you will experience. The relationships you build with some of your co-workers and some clients.

Cons

Injuries are common place for direct care employees. Management claim to care at orientation but no real support for the direct care staff. Extremely stressful workplace. Staff expectations change on a regular basis. Poor communication. Very low moral of direct care staff. Very money focused for a non-profit. Unrealistic expectations in numbers of notes for documentation of interventions provided.

Advice to Management

Value your direct care employees. Show the moral support you promise and acknowledge the positives of your staff instead of always looking for the negatives. Provide more stability.

8. "Great place to work at!"

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time

Pros

Everything I'd say. I like everything about my job and the staff as well. The kids are great too. Great experience, this is the place to come work at!

Cons

They are none so far!!

Advice to Management

They do a great job and very nice and understanding!

9. "Not the best environment"

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time

Pros

It is meaningful work. You can get promotions quickly due to the high turnover.

Cons

Lack of support from administration. Lack of concern for safety of staff. Staff are pressured into taking extra shifts.

Advice to Management

Fill openings with people who fit rather than just fill openings. Don't rush people back to work when they are injured. Come up with real solutions to dangerous situations.

10. "It is what it is."

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time

Pros

Being able to see positive changes in the kids, when that happens
    Often job opportunities open to move up/ around in the company

Cons

Very stressful work environment
    High employee turnover
    Constantly barrages employees to work overtime
    The company philosophy is questionable

Advice to Management

Value the employees more.

11. "Sad"

Pros

some staff really care about the kids and have dedicated their entire lives to making a difference for them. They work extremely long hours to help these kids.

Cons

Management needs to be improved as well as scheduling. Employees need better support if they are going to be expected to work there. The kids need more help than staff can provide because their mental illnesses are too severe and employees don't have the necessary to do that.