Currys PC World Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sebastian James

Pros
Cons
  • Even if you give them perfect customer service, something about their day was less than perfect so it (in 23 reviews)

• Care plan packages are quite expensive (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great learning experience for Beginners"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work Culture, Professional development

Cons

Incentives scheme on sales target

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Only thing that keeps me there are the people"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are very very friendly and enjoyable to work with, made some true friends since I started working for Curry's PC World.
    You get some discount (A measly 10% in Curry's PC World, but 30% on phone contracts and 60-90% on accessories for phones in carphone warehouse)

Cons

The work is hard, you have long hours for minimal pay, you have to sell 50 different things to a customer on one sale or management won't be happy.
    A days work consists of you asking whether a customer would like: Microsoft Office, Antivirus, Cloud, Care plan, set up, broadband and mobile phone upgrades/contracts for Computers.
    Cables that are completely useless but are being priced at like £50 for TV's, that's the one thing I feel truly bad about having to sell, they're the most useless thing and it makes me happy overall when a customer refuses to take them.
    Targets targets targets, so many targets to hit.
    Only a 30 minute lunch break even on 9-10 hour shifts which is to be frank, ridiculous.
    It feels like management don't trust you as you have to sign off EVERY single sale with them if it's a laptop, TV, or any other item we have targets to hit on. Sure, they do help you to hit targets but having to sign off everything with them makes it feel like you're not good enough and that they don't trust you to make a good sale or know when a customer is plain not interested in anything you're offering.
    Almost no chance of progression at all, you'd be more likely to be struck by lightning than to receive any form of pay rise or promotion.
    Almost no work/life balance at all as you HAVE to work weekends as they're a peak period, you usually get two days off a week when you're full time though the two days are split apart meaning that you can't really do anything on the days off you have in regards to socialising or doing anything with friends.

Advice to Management

I appreciate you have targets to hit, but stop forcing colleagues to sign off every single deal with you, it reduces the overall morale of the team as you force them to walk away from the customer and ask you about what we can and cannot do for them.

Other than that, nothing that base management of a store could really do. Company needs to change, not management.

3. "WHAT A JOKE!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Currys PC World full-time

Pros

Some staff here i work with are great..

Cons

Nothing at all.. this company the way its run is a complete joke.. management.. god...

Advice to Management

Management... god its the company above that needs to read this.. prob about 12 kpis to hit with 1 customer.. sell them broadband.. then sell them a new phone contract.. after that a care plan..i then have to see if there buying for business.. which takes 15minn min to set up because the company does not have a system to produce a quick simple setup for buisness customers.. the eclipse systems for a company in the computer industry are slow and crash or dont work.. the list is endless.. as far as im concerened this company is a sinking ship and complete joke.. there lift to upstairs is out of order so no elderly people can view the white goods on the upper level.. what a joke this company is...

5. "Decent all-round"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff members. Throughout the store everyone is very friendly, including managers. I feel I was lucky with the store I was in, as the managers were great and the GM especially was very helpful, supportive, and understanding.
    The selling side of things is a mixture of good and bad. As a technology enthusiast, for me it's just talking about things I am passionate about, and from a customer service point of view, helping people makes it even better.
    Being a good salesperson already is a great way to become successful in the company, and will allow you progress much faster. Also being a quick learner, with a good memory for the various 'deals' you can give to customers will help you achieve target very easily.
    The discount is good. People say it could be better but, come on, you can get hundreds of expensive items.
    Managers are helpful in understanding your strong points, and will not force you to take part in parts of the business if you do not feel confident (b2b, finance, broadband).

Cons

It is very pressurized. Fine if you can cope, but there are many things you need to talk about during a sale (careplan, add-ons, broadband, mobile phones).
    Following from this, you can sometimes feel bad if you have taken the customer through a great 'customer journey' and have not been able to hit target with it. As long as you can remain around or above the minimum target, you won't encounter a need for many reviews or 'performance training'.
    Lunch breaks recently went down from 1 hour to 30 mins.

Advice to Management

I see various reviews of bad management, and good management. In terms of my own experience, I don't think they could do much to improve.

6. "Ok for part-time I guess"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with
    Every day is different
    Get to meet and speak to new people
    Hands on with new and exciting technology
    Quite a fun atmosphere to be in at times, especially if you're young
    Quite easy to get the job
    Get 40% discount at o2 and EE contracts

Cons

Managers add a lot of pressure to sell high margin products and services that not every consumer would need
    Managers although not in proximity at point of sale, they will observe through the system how your sale is going to add pressure
    Sometimes a blind eye is cast by management if their staff use deceit and lies to get the customer to purchase high margin goods and services.
    Over all people get fed up pretty quickly

Advice to Management

Be compassionate to honest staff who try their hardest to reach margin targets. Pressuring and demoralising people doesn't go anywhere!

7. "Great Colleagues, Bad Policy"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is very much in it together, in my store I found that help was always there when I needed it
    - Fun team-building events

Cons

- Push to sell customer care that you often don't really agree with
    - Often unachievable targets
    - One day of training about customer service, and then this seems to be ignored
    - No commission for sales based role

Advice to Management

Understand that sometimes, customers just don't want to take out product care on their items. No matter what we may say to try and persuade them, they just don't want it.

"Only dishonest snakes thrive here"

Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Liverpool, England (UK)

Pros

Get to see a lot of new tech

Cons

shocking pay considering the insane amount of pressure staff are put under.
    so target driven only the morally bankrupt will do well by bullying and blatantly lying/misleading customers to get add ons on their sales this leads to customer complaints that management brush under the carpet.
    if your name doesn't appear on the top of the sales/ add on numbers you're a nobody and you're treated like garbage if you don't perform to what they expect.
    People who hit all targets get away with murder because managers are too scared to upset them leading to a lot of animosity amongst staff members.
    Some staff deliberately allow flat sales(no add ons) walk out to protect their sq number which is apparently a measurement of how good you are in reality it's more a measurement of how dodgy someone operates.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves your staff are miserable,underpaid,overworked,under appreciated,and bullied by your management teams the store i work in (speke) is by far the worst working environment I've ever experienced take a look at the staff turnover it is no coincidence WAKE UP!.

9. "Decent, but could be much better"

Current Employee - Replenishment Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Replenishment Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

-Good Colleagues
    -Learn about the retail
    -Can be flexible during the year (apart from christmas period)
    -Good wage if under 18

Cons

-Have to sell too much insurances and add-ons
    -Very little chance to progress
    -Not enough working hours during the year
    -Pay rises only when minimum wage goes up or if promoted
    -Stressful christmas period with no extra rewards
    -Pressured to sell, even as a replenishment staff
    -Training is only intangible
    -Can be very long hours

Advice to Management

More staff during shifts would be handy,
    Treat staff with the respect they deserve.

10. "Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Hayes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Hayes, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free Parking
    - You meet amazing people and go out for socials.

Cons

- The way the staff are treated even after working there for so long.
    - Targets are so heavy that the company cares more for you achieving the targets rather than pleasing customers.
    - Pressure on sales and targets.
    - Lying to customers about the Care Plans and not giving them the choice to choose what they want but rather what the company wants us to give to them.
    - Treatment of customers.
    - No motivation of the good sales or targets achieved but rather more to do with having to do better than you are already performing.
    - No Career Progression whatsoever.

Advice to Management

- Please have a good look at yourselves and ask whether or not what you're doing to customers is the right thing or not?
    - Have a look at how staff should be treated and how targets are unrealistic, unfair and not right for all customers.

11. "Currys PC World"

Pros

staff purchase available for part-time.

Cons

discount card for staff received relatively late.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to employee's voice.