Currys PC World Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Sebastian James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As a dixons employee, you recieve 10% discount in store for Currys PC world (in 30 reviews)

• I got to work with great people who I still talk to this day (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Was quite hard to sell care plan without discounts (in 28 reviews)

• Even if you give them perfect customer service, something about their day was less than perfect so it (in 26 reviews)

1. "Stepping stone into retail only"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in London, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive wage for retail with opportunities to earn more based on commissions.

Cons

No training provided.
    No programme for career development.
    Company benefits not outlined clearly.
    Laughable staff discount.

Advice to Management

Please invest in your team on a more personal level. Sales target isn't everything if you have a high staff turnover due to terrible working conditions and please support your staff's training and development.

2. "Don't pay for the insurance"

I worked at Currys PC World full-time

Pros

To work around new technologies and the discount

Cons

The pay. The management. The targets. The company doesn't care about the customers.

Advice to Management

Less stress on selling extras no matter what. Pay sales staff more.

3. "bottom of the retail employment food chain"

Former Employee - Support Colleague in Trowbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Support Colleague in Trowbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hopeless management allowing staff to do anything except what their paid for
    Discount card passed around friends
    Purchasing clearance items to sell on internet market sites
    Petty pilfering common place
    High value items stolen with little effort
    Scratching the cars of rude customers

Cons

Access to stock at little or no cost
    Ineffective management

Advice to Management

Don't change it would spoil the fun

4. "Awful"

I worked at Currys PC World part-time

Pros

Cannot think of anything

Cons

Staff made me feel unwelcome, was hired just before christmas, staff was too busy gossiping to train me. Customers very rude as well, stressful environment, have to reach targets weekly

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with, flexible hours and easy to get requested days off. easy going management team, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes the targets would be a little bit difficult to achieve which would put extra pressure on the sales staff

Advice to Management

Be a little bit more respectful of the staff who are trying their best to reach their kpis.

6. "Enjoyed"

I worked at Currys PC World part-time

Pros

Bonus on broadband and TV sales

Cons

Sometimes working hours can be inflexible in holiday time.

7. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, nice staff, lunch breaks always on time

Cons

Pressure to sell, no chance to develop

8. "Sales Consultant"

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your colleagues will become your favourite people to be around. Whether it is to complain about management to one another, or make jokes about each other. Whatever the situation they’re always great to turn to when you maybe don’t know something about a service we provide or something specifically that a customer needs. I currently work with a great team and although I severely want to leave this company, it’s the family like team that keeps me in the company.

Pay is not bad. Used to be better before they introduced the new system to get your bonus.

Cons

Management shouting at you in front of customers.
    Care plans!!!
    Home broadband!!
    Dodgy deals!!
    Buy back re sales!!

Nothing screams scam more at me than when I see how much we charge for the insurance on some electronics, when it doesn’t even cover accidental damage.

Nothing also seems dodgy rather than your manager asking you to come to them everytime you have a sale so they can attach something onto it so they can make their sales targets look better.

It’s down to the customer whether we get our bonus enough. We now have to send a text message out to the customer to rate the store out of 10. 9 and 10 are good ratings and they pass. Anything below 9 doesn’t get counted for and we don’t get our bonus. Do you honestly know how hard that is when people don’t even reply to texts? How unfair is that on the sales people who actually work their butts off!

I don’t understand it.

They don’t listen to you when they tell you that you have a mental health issue and they make you feel pretty bad about the fact you’re not feeling so great that day.

Advice to Management

Honestly the biggest problem I have with management is their attitude towards their sales colleagues. Being denied transfers for stupid reasons and being given a hard time during stressful periods is not exactly what I need when I am also a University student with A LOT more things on my mind than selling a stupid care plan to someone who doesn’t care about it.
    Don’t shout at your sales colleagues in front of customers, not only does it make your sales colleague feel embarrassed, it also makes a really bad impression on customers also.
    Take into consideration of what days people CANNOT work. I’ve had so many colleagues come to me to ask to swap a shift because management doesn’t listen to them when they say they need a day swapped.

LISTEN TO YOUR SALES COLLEAGUES.

9. "decent"

I worked at Currys PC World part-time

Pros

friendly staff you can become mates with

Cons

extremely target base, management poor also bad for students

Advice to Management

treat workers less like robots

10. "Not worth the pay"

Current Employee - Sales Computing in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, if you commit your self can open up jobs with other companies like Microsoft how ever you will get sacked if you do this openly

Cons

Rubbish minimum wage pay, only get promoted if you can drive to other stores and some one gets sacked or leaves or progresses (good luck) targets to hit on every sale which are based on an average of the company and not the city for example Scarborough would have the same percentage to sell careplan as London, no commission on any sale apart from broadband. If you don't hit your target's which you won't as they add more and your manager doesn't like you then you will be sacked. The bonus scheme is stupid as the customer has to rate the sale after you just ripped them off on extras and asked them to buy broadband after selling a cooker. You will get immediately sacked if you join a union as stated in contract, if some one steals you are requested to stop that without force or it will affect the store profit loss which yes does affect your quarter bonus which in best is about 80 quid but they won't employ a security guard as they think we can stop the professional thieves and don't ask for hours as the store budget won't let them but they employ others with an 8 hour contact which you could fill!!!! This job is great for a temp job just don't get stuck here!

Advice to Management

Quit and get paid more it's not your fault the company director has never sold anything in his life