Currys PC World Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sebastian James

Pros
  • As a dixons employee, you recieve 10% discount in store for Currys PC world (in 26 reviews)

• Store colleagues are great people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Care plan packages are quite expensive (in 24 reviews)

• Even if you give them perfect customer service, something about their day was less than perfect so it (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great people, nasty targets"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Canterbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Canterbury, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team and nice to work with the public in retail

Cons

Targets too aggressive and made the work highly pressured. Always ended up working more than was contracted.

2. "FUN!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Woking, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Woking, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing fun, selling technology as that is something that i am passionate on.

Cons

You get nothing for getting care plans and hitting sq's, we do so much for nothing really, we just get our hourly pay.

3. "Below average."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, you can do more or less if you ask, though don't ask for weekends off, it's not possible 99% of the time unless you really push for it.
    The amount of pay recently changed, so you now get more money.
    You technically make a tiny bit of commission off of every sale (I believe every sale you make, you get 0.1% of the profit into a bonus pot) Whilst small, it builds up as you do more sales, so in other words, sell as much as you can regardless of what it is.
    10% discount on Curry's PC World Items
    30% discount for you and two family/friends on phone contracts.
    Up to 90% discount in Carphone Warehouse on accessories dependent on what you buy.
    You get to see all the latest technology
    You're able to buy items that go on clearance but are unable to be sold to customers, so you essentially get them dirt cheap. (Decent tablets for £20 anyone?)

Cons

30 minute lunch break when you sometimes do 9-10 hour shifts, it's far too short for those types of shifts, and depending on location, you sometimes have to go out for food which generally knocks about 10 minutes off.
    I've recently seen the bad side of management in the form of a team leader, often is very rude to colleagues and overall, whilst still a nice guy, acts like he's the big boss, when he is not.
    Heavy pressure on hitting targets, on some sales you have to pitch as much as 8 separate things to the customer, which in my opinion makes it sound like you are just trying to sell as much stuff as possible to them.
    The way they pay you is a bit shifty and hard to keep track of. Every employee is technically part time, but for those working full time, you just get it paid in overtime. Which makes keeping track of what you've been paid a bit odd, because when you ACTUALLY do overtime, it obviously plays around with the number.
    The regional managers don't really seem to care about anything other than the numbers.
    There are some immoral sales you have to make. (£60 cables anyone?)
    The sales system is old. It's clunky, slow, and the business system is even worse. Every time I go to work and use their system it makes me want to pull out a sledgehammer and break something, it is the epitome of an old system that desperately needs attention.
    You have to sign off every sale with a manager, not only is it annoying, it makes employees feel like you don't trust them to make a sale on their own. If we've tried everything and were unable to get something, you should trust us and allow us to put it through, shoving random things on for free just to hit targets doesn't make the company money, so what's the point? Are you doing it all for a number? Why? The company wants money, not false positives.

Advice to Management

This is more advice to the higher up management:
    Treat your employees better, we need better money for the job we do, and we also need longer lunch breaks. They're far too short.
    Treat customers better as well, stop focusing on taking their money as opposed to actually helping them.

5. "Great learning experience for Beginners"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work Culture, Professional development

Cons

Incentives scheme on sales target

Advice to Management

NA

6. "Great People, Poor Middle/Senior Management"

Former Employee - People Team Leader/Support Colleague in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, felt like a family in store. Good hours, work/ok. OK conditions

Cons

Regional management cant run and don't care about the parts of the business they can't see on a spreadsheet. A good percentage of customers treat you like rubbish for trying to do your job, you are met with contempt and condescension regularly.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on spreadsheets and start focusing on customers. Great customer service is not defined as selling every add on under the sun to every customer.

7. "Decent all-round"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff members. Throughout the store everyone is very friendly, including managers. I feel I was lucky with the store I was in, as the managers were great and the GM especially was very helpful, supportive, and understanding.
    The selling side of things is a mixture of good and bad. As a technology enthusiast, for me it's just talking about things I am passionate about, and from a customer service point of view, helping people makes it even better.
    Being a good salesperson already is a great way to become successful in the company, and will allow you progress much faster. Also being a quick learner, with a good memory for the various 'deals' you can give to customers will help you achieve target very easily.
    The discount is good. People say it could be better but, come on, you can get hundreds of expensive items.
    Managers are helpful in understanding your strong points, and will not force you to take part in parts of the business if you do not feel confident (b2b, finance, broadband).

Cons

It is very pressurized. Fine if you can cope, but there are many things you need to talk about during a sale (careplan, add-ons, broadband, mobile phones).
    Following from this, you can sometimes feel bad if you have taken the customer through a great 'customer journey' and have not been able to hit target with it. As long as you can remain around or above the minimum target, you won't encounter a need for many reviews or 'performance training'.
    Lunch breaks recently went down from 1 hour to 30 mins.

Advice to Management

I see various reviews of bad management, and good management. In terms of my own experience, I don't think they could do much to improve.

8. "Ok for part-time I guess"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with
    Every day is different
    Get to meet and speak to new people
    Hands on with new and exciting technology
    Quite a fun atmosphere to be in at times, especially if you're young
    Quite easy to get the job
    Get 40% discount at o2 and EE contracts

Cons

Managers add a lot of pressure to sell high margin products and services that not every consumer would need
    Managers although not in proximity at point of sale, they will observe through the system how your sale is going to add pressure
    Sometimes a blind eye is cast by management if their staff use deceit and lies to get the customer to purchase high margin goods and services.
    Over all people get fed up pretty quickly

Advice to Management

Be compassionate to honest staff who try their hardest to reach margin targets. Pressuring and demoralising people doesn't go anywhere!

9. "Ok temporary job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

Colleagues are nice to work with some of them are two face

Cons

Management and kpi always looking at figures. Lunches and brakes

Advice to Management

Leave

10. "Decent, but could be much better"

Current Employee - Replenishment Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Replenishment Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

-Good Colleagues
    -Learn about the retail
    -Can be flexible during the year (apart from christmas period)
    -Good wage if under 18

Cons

-Have to sell too much insurances and add-ons
    -Very little chance to progress
    -Not enough working hours during the year
    -Pay rises only when minimum wage goes up or if promoted
    -Stressful christmas period with no extra rewards
    -Pressured to sell, even as a replenishment staff
    -Training is only intangible
    -Can be very long hours

Advice to Management

More staff during shifts would be handy,
    Treat staff with the respect they deserve.

11. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Currys PC World part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safe job for young people and really good stepping stone for careers

Cons

PRESSURE TO SELL EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING TO ANYONE. Would no recommend to anyone who doesnt like sales or pressure as you will be constantly driven to hit targets and thats why I left

Advice to Management

CHILL OUT!!! Just cause someone doesnt want care plan or your bellow target its not the end of the world and remember we sales staff are on min wage doing this.