Custom Built Personal Training Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Dishonest Company"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got my start in the personal training industry through Custom Built, so there's that. Otherwise, I don't have many positive things to say about the company.

Cons

The trainers are compensated poorly compared to other companies, even after receiving certifications and accruing experience. I was started at a paltry $7 a session while the clientele were paying the company up to $40 a session. Plus, they encouraged trainers to manipulate and deceive people into signing up for a personal training contract that is very difficult for them to get out of without paying a hefty fee. Learning how to trick clients into signing up for sessions that will continue to be billed to their credit card indefinitely is part of the job-training process for new trainers. There is very little integrity.

Advice to Management

It is possible to be honest and still make money. It is not necessary to use manipulative, deceitful tactics to make a profit. The same thing could be done while providing quality services with a transparent business model. Believe in the product you are selling or don't sell it at all. A lot of the senior level management of this company are morbidly obese couch potatoes. Not exactly an inspiration for physical well-being.

2. "All pressure sales. Was encouraged to scam prospective clients to close a deal."

Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. It was all commission based so if you can sell and don't mind ripping someone off, you can make good money.

Cons

Long, interesting hours. 8-12 and 4-8 minimum work time each day. Some days would be 8-8. Sketch management. Annoying sales calls ever week.

3. "Spare yourself. Youll be sold."

Current Employee - General Manager in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get dirty and make a decent check. Fun job for about a month. Really relentless. Financially rewarding if you're not afraid to get a little dirty with it.

Cons

If you want long term security look elsewhere, there is none to be found here. They also go by purecore they rebranded due to a tarnished image which I am sure they'll need to do again in a few years. Its high pressure sales. And the sales people leading this company are bare none the best. So much so that they will sell you on the future and pay you "can" earn. And you'll turn around and promise the world to the client. These people are smart. They know what makes people tick and employees tick with their emotions. Every week they are promising expansion so you "buy in" to the company every conference call is a sales pitch to the employee about how great it "can" be because one guy is doing "good" this month. There is no future to be had. All the good guys leave this company. They all have eventually. Some come back because they are desperate but then end up leaving again.
    I encourage everyone to tread softly. Heads get chopped off quick and loyalty in this company is as much of a joke as the lengths you will try to go to get a sale. You'll start as an assistant and make good coin of you can sell and you "get it" and get promoted and work harder to get the same or less money and eventually get flushed out. Long hours no work life balance relentless goals constant throat cramming goals, it's fun for a bit but don't plan to make a career of it. You can take your sales ability and passion for fitness and go to any other company and build a real future with a company with better morals and genuine concern. Like I said incredible sales people that will sell you unless yohre keen enough to catch it. Try it out and get out on top leave the table when it's hot with this company. Cause long term you're a liability more than a loyal employee.

Advice to Management

Get real with yourselves. You're like the old creepy guy in the bar finding the young gullible girl who buys in to your promises to take her to breakfast in the morning just so you can get what you want out of her. I'm happy the far ups are where they are and I know the game. But your middle upper management needs some real work. Start calling spades spades and stop selling your employees and turn what you are capable of having into something you can be proud of not something you milk people and clients with til they are dry and then rebrand once you've licked the plate clean. Change your structure change your priorities.
    Start paying for retention and lower attrition and let's see how many dollars you make. Follow the giants in the company and start only offering 3 month agreements and let's see how much you actually care about the client. Good luck.

"Horrible company. Bunch of jokers."

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm no longer there. I realized quickly that this company was not professional or legitimate. The BBB agrees with all the reviews about this company.

Cons

Work life balance is zero. No real benefits. Job growth is non existent. A tiny fraction of people that work there stay for any real length of time other than the brainwashed upper management that believe their own garbage.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop looking for the quick buck and using employees with no intention of helping them grow and keep them. Start selling paid in full programs only and you will learn really quickly how bad your service is. After cleaning that up, and only then, should you be locking people into contracts that lock them in to train with your inadequate trainers with a penalty if they want to leave due to bad service. Stop giving the fitness business a bad name.

5. "Selling a scam, research on BBB"

Former Employee - General Manager in Cornelius, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cornelius, NC

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money was ok. But it's a shark eat shark mentality, saw commissions snatch away from trainers and assistant managers by district managers.

Cons

No training
    High stress
    Long hours
    Untrustworthy management
    "Lost commissions"
    Will not feel good working here.
    Scam scam scam
    No training, plus the "system" is just a jumble of other workouts and nutrition advice.
    Very sexist environment.

Advice to Management

Develop a system, and teach it. The only reason people lose weight with you guys, would be the trainers, not anything the AM GM or DM's do.

"Interviewed for a position as a Fitness Manger as advertised on Indeed."

Current Employee - Prospective Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Prospective Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was told that I was over qualified for position and that they were not hiring for the position advertised in post on indeed website. Hiring Manager was very unprofessional. He used a lot of profanity and at the end of the interview he hi fived me and proceeded to tell me that he does not shake women's hands! What? Just women? (Am I the only one that thinks that was misogynistic?)

Cons

Starting base pay is below minimum wage. Work 80 hours biweekly. Even district manger cannot seem to close on commission which makes up %75 of your check.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees from the start to raise the caliber of your company. If you post a position for applicants, hire qualified individuals!

7. "Assistant Manager/Manger"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Auburn, AL

Pros

Custom built initiates fun environment for new clients through sales tactics

Cons

Scarce middle level management to apply strategic decisions towards regional conflicts. Really poor professional structure for personal trainers for region of Auburn. Southeast centrally built for to compensate for contract compromises using old fashioned sales incentives. Company is declining due to low level calling service and sub par fitness methodology.

Advice to Management

Reverse decline by new standards of service quality. Trust the reports lower level is sending in.

8. "Not worth the application"

Current Employee - Sales Manager/Head Trainer in Runnemede, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager/Head Trainer in Runnemede, NJ

Pros

you can make your own hours

Cons

dont pay you on time if at all
    money driven dont care at all about customers or employees

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and customers and youll make more money than treating people like numbers.

9. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience builder, and it's an excellent opportunity for someone starting a career in sales. If you are young, passionate about fitness, and not afraid to work for a solid commission on your paycheck it's a great company.

Cons

Lots of hours and 6 days a week. Week after week, after week, after week. Like I said, if you're scared of hard work keep looking.

Advice to Management

5 day weeks would have legitimately improved my quality of life. Expect the best from your employees during the hours they work, but don't bleed them dry. I strongly believe allowing time to recharge the batteries would result in sustainably higher production.

10. "EID was an awful experience!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Inbound and Outbound in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Inbound and Outbound in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The company has a service and product that I believe in. They do background checks for people/companies that have to go on military bases. Once approved, they then receive a credential that allows them to go on base.

Cons

I'm not sure about the other departments, but the call center is the worst department of the company. Daily, sometimes twice daily, we would receive an email stating, "Effective immediately, NAME Here, no longer works at EID. If you have any questions, please contact your manager.". Seriously, everyday people walked in wondering if their name would be on that "Effective immediately..." email.

Also, this department is number one with the "Clicky" people. As a matter-of-fact, they had their own department called, "Only US".

Advice to Management

Please check moral and how the call center employees are being treated. This is why you use every conceivable temp agency to get employees that you "hire" in groups at a time.