CustomInk Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits but little to no guidance on leveraging them (in 24 reviews)

• Fun, youth-spirited, friendly work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone here knows each other from high school (in 12 reviews)

• Currently going through growing pains (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work for a Reason!"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CustomInk is a great place to work and have won several awards for this. They've been more transparent and realistic lately, which I really appreciate in terms of where we're at as a company both in terms of vision and economics. It's also clear on what the goals are. The benefits are unparalleled and they run their business as such but with a personal touch. Even if you are or aren't in the right role, they do what they can to develop and help you grow into the next role that you're interested in. I've seen first hand how flexible they are here when you're going through rough times and they do what they can to accommodate. I can't say enough.

Cons

They give more chances than most companies for folks that have slipped in reliability, ethics, or performance, which can be both a plus and a con.

2. "Great"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

It was a really good place to work

Cons

The commute was a little long

"Part Time Production Artist"

Former Employee - Part Time Production Artist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Part Time Production Artist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CustomInk (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment with on the job training.

Cons

None, great experience for new designers!

"Started as a great, innovative company and has now become everything that is said it is not."

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great teammates, awesome benefits of you are single, work from home options and paid time off.

Cons

Everything changes constantly when it comes to procedure, pay, everything is always in Flux. Hard to not be stressed out when my money is messed with constantly. And don't ask a question about it because the management in a different state knows better than us lowly employees.

Advice to Management

Have actual anonymous surveys so people aren't afraid to tell you how they really feel! People are afraid to speak up because they will get reprimanded. I know this because it happened to me. If you had everyone be legitimately honest, I think upper management would freak out.

5. "Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at CustomInk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, great customers, vacation

Cons

Toxic environment poorly trained management

Advice to Management

Check your ego at the door. You are not that amazing. You manage by popularity and only what you want to believe. What is good for one employee, does not work for another. Complete inconsistency in policies and procedures. You are only promoted if you keep your mouth shut, do not rock the boat, and think everything is perfect.

"Satisfaction Assurance Agent"

Current Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

I started at CustomInk right out of college but I had experienced working for various northern VA companies while working in college. By comparison I’d say this company is invested in me as an individual and my coworkers are truly incredible people. I think I have actually become a better person by being afforded an opportunity to work with such creative and dynamic individuals.

Plus there are some companies in northern VA that are straight up nightmarish - seriously scary people and toxic work environments.

I have worked at CustomInk for many years and have been afforded the opportunity to work in several roles. In my current role they allow me to carve out a little bit of time each week to take Lynda.com courses that are job related or simply interest me that aren’t CustomInk relevant. Sometimes I get too busy to take the time but it’s nice that it’s there all the same.

I’ve had managers that believed in me and have allowed me the freedom to brainstorm and then implement those ideas/initiatives acting as my own project manager.

Management was in the past and recently has been very flexible with my scheduled shift. This helps me feel like I have a good work life balance as I don’t have to completely cut off outside opportunities in order to stick to a rigid shift structure at all times.

While CustomInk has changed a TON in my tenure from a start-up, to working out the kinks in implementing performance based metrics that adequately compensate for stellar performance, I can at minimum say they are trying hard to make it a fun place to work that compensated in a fair way.

Others have already expounded on the food and environment and health benefits and leave.

Overtime, both mandatory and voluntary, has been reduced a ton by various business initiatives which is something older reviewers rated low.

Cons

Change is a constant and it is sometimes extremely hard to keep up with. We have resources to help us through changes but there often seem to be caveats and exceptions to most every rule. When you are talking with a customer and trying to problem solve it just seems like added complexity that doesn’t need to be there at times. I don’t feel like I should have to read several pages of text that link with other pages and watch videos in order to answer a customers seemingly simple question.

With all the changes I’d love to see periodic retraining so we aren’t being asked to continuously learn on the fly. My role has changed several times over while I’ve been at it and I don’t always have the time to devote to learning all the ins and outs when changes are so frequent or there are new systems to navigate all while problem solving for the customer. New hires have a leg up as they aren’t being asked to learn on the fly.

The cumulative changes are for the better though overall it just takes time to constantly change up your workflow to accommodate rapid change and from many different fronts.

I’d also love to see us take customers feedback about their experience and really quantify it and act on it. Right now the customer feedback seems like it is just a score they give us and as long as that score is high the customers concerns don’t seem to be investigated much. I’d also love to see our role measured by how many of your customers repeat instead of measuring how they felt once an order was delivered. Maybe the same customers giving seven ratings are not the same as the ones continuously purchasing. Maybe these high dollar customers vote instead with their pocketbook.

There are so many emails every day. I filtered my emails for three months into a folder to quantify them and there were definitely close to 1,700 in that 3 month time frame.

The problem reporting feedback channel is used by only a few and can really hurt relationships with others in the same department and across teams. Giving feedback is something everyone is asked to do but often people don’t do. You won’t win any popularity contests if you are the one reporting that someone neglected to hit a button in an order as this could negatively impact that persons pay. Nobody wants to feel like they are negatively impacting someone’s pay and it’s extremely hard not to take the feedback personally when sometimes it feels like the same 3 people are always alerting you about a mental slip.

As others have noted I’ve literally had my best manager here and also my worst manager here. A manager can completely make or break your desire to come in and do good work. A good friend worked at CustomInk and he didn’t have the same caliber of manager that I have had more consistently and that caused this really talented and dedicated coworker to ultimately leave the company. From my experience managers hired from outside of the company are typically the ones who are most likely to throw someone under the bus and then run you over with that bus. I’d much rather have Inkers promoted internally....when they are ready to step up to the challenge that is. My friends reality by and large hasn’t been mine, but managers are not the most consistent here for sure.

.25 cents on the dollar up to 6% company 401k match is pretty anemic. That is only 1.5% at max. Some of the funds in the 401k are decent but I’d love to see more admiral share options / funds with really low expense ratios outside of the S&P 500 index.

A Roth 401k or HSA would be terrific too.

Advice to Management

Marc Katz seems to be an amazingly kind and empathetic human. I trust that he had Inkers best interest at heart.

"Don't be decieved"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, some perks, great peers to work with, customers are awesome.

Cons

Management has NO idea what they are doing
    Inconsistent pay structure based on inaccurate data
    Cliques within all areas of department, if you are not in with the "cool kids", do not expect to get ANYWHERE with this company
    Lack of training for management and staff
    You are actually reprimanded for giving a honest opinion
    Low pay considered the amount of work and stress you are under constantly

Advice to Management

Get ALL NEW management. That would be a great place to start, actually having someone who KNOWS what they are doing. STOP promoting based on the popular vote, or who you are sleeping with! Stop messing around with people's pay! This is a BIG deal, and the fact you do not see this is BEYOND frustrating!

"A workplace of deception"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CustomInk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance/Benefits
    Food/Kitchen
    Lax dress code
    --that's
    --it

Cons

Everything not named in Pros. This place has the maturity level of an elementary school. If you don't conform to their ways, you will be shown the door. It's overrun with unqualified managers who have 0 experience in leading a team. This is NOT the type of workplace you can expected to be treated like an adult, and you better hope you become friends with the "in" crowd or you might want to show yourself the door.

Advice to Management

Managers: stop becoming best friends with your employees. This is supposed to be a professional work environment, except managers are promoting and giving leniency to their friends. The amount of favoritism that took place was down right disgusting. This work place tries harder than ANYTHING to relate with the "community". It's all fake. A ruse to cover up the lack of a management team they have there.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They cover the majority of your health insurance costs
    Free lunch on Thursdays and free breakfast once a month
    No dress code - can wear sweatpants to work
    Fun activities planned like raffles, spirit weeks, etc

Cons

The company is changing drastically and becoming much more money focused and numbers driven.
    Making cut backs on things that made the company unique
    Productivity stats are shown on boards for everyone to see - can be discouraging
    Management is constantly changing - processes are always updating - it's hard to keep track of everything
    People are leaving the company pretty frequently lately
    No work-life balance. Only 30 minutes for lunch and most people work through it to try and get more "points"

"Printer"

Former Employee - Shirt Printer in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Shirt Printer in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at CustomInk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food was nice twice a week.

Cons

Innovation is one of the things they say they take seriously, but they do not seem to want to take advice from experienced printers on how to improve.