CustomInk Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits: Health/Dental/Vision/Life, FSA (2 (in 22 reviews)

• Fun, youth-spirited, friendly work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently going through growing pains (in 11 reviews)

• Everyone here knows each other from high school (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work for a Reason!"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CustomInk is a great place to work and have won several awards for this. They've been more transparent and realistic lately, which I really appreciate in terms of where we're at as a company both in terms of vision and economics. It's also clear on what the goals are. The benefits are unparalleled and they run their business as such but with a personal touch. Even if you are or aren't in the right role, they do what they can to develop and help you grow into the next role that you're interested in. I've seen first hand how flexible they are here when you're going through rough times and they do what they can to accommodate. I can't say enough.

Cons

They give more chances than most companies for folks that have slipped in reliability, ethics, or performance, which can be both a plus and a con.

"Production Artist"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This role is ideal if you like to work autonomously while jamming out to music. Guidelines and measures for success are pretty straight forward and it's pretty tough to get fired. You literally have to have no work ethic to be let go from this company.

Cons

Not much room for growth in this specific role unless someone in leadership positions leaves or moves elsewhere. The role can be pretty repetitive and you start to feel like a robot if you're someone that prefers to interact with others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation! It's great to see that you're focused on employee professional development.

3. "Good place to start"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

The team members are wonderful. The amenities and atmosphere are also very welcoming and warm. Helping creating a great experience for customers is also rewarding.

Cons

Compensation is very average. Also the workload can be very up and down. It can be very busy (and thus stressful) and other times there are very slow times. So you are subject to the company's seasonal flow.

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, youth-spirited, friendly work environment. Lots of great perks and outstanding benefits package. The company is growing rapidly. The perfect company to kickstart your career.

Cons

With every company comes growing pains. Lots of miscommunication within management and leadership, which often confuses employees. Micro-managing and mandatory overtime results in many burnt-out and unhappy employees in the long run. Get your experience in, beef up your resume, then move on.

"Sales and Service rep"

I worked at CustomInk part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and flexible being a part time rep

Cons

To much empasis on grading employees, time could be spent on helping customers. Everything changes daily so very hard to keep up with it. Feels like you are in school sometimes and not working.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and focus on the customers.

"Used to be a great place - now, not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free snacks & free lunch once a week
    -Casual dress code
    -Opportunities to work from home
    -Good benefits

Cons

Although Customink does indeed have some cool features, it's nothing really unique. All the "cool stuff" like the free snacks and company events are ultimately overshadowed by the fact that working here is miserable. I'd rather have to wear business clothing and bring my own lunch to work than have to deal with the clear mismanagement that is prevalent at Customink.

-Employees are severely underpaid. Many have to live with roommates and/or take a second job on top of the 40+ hours they work at customink due to the low pay. The company's logic is that since we get free lunch once a week, and working here is "cool," we don't need higher pay.
    -The mandatory overtime is obviously a huge complaint, but in some departments, it's used as a punishment. Employees in the printing department were seen talking and "hanging out too much" so they were forced to come in at 3am and work overtime for the entire week. Many of these people have children and responsibilities to attend to but the company doesn't care.
    -The company provides paid time off, but they severely restrict when and how it can be used. Employees are guilted into not even taking time off when sick -- we're told to "think of the team."
    -Managers are young and extremely under trained. They have the power to be "innovative" and make big decisions for the team, but ideas are often not thought about carefully, and changes in the company are constant and clumsy. Any time there's a change (about once a week), there's a major tech issue, mass confusion, and mismanagement. Managers often don't have the answers regarding the changes they helped implement. Even serious issues like sexual harassment are extremely mishandled.
    -The problem with management is that promotions aren't offered based on achievements, performance or intelligence - they're offered based on personality. The more person who applies for a promotion will get the job. Bribery with gifts, baked goods, and personal favors are not out of the question.
    -The company offers performance-based raises every few months. Every little thing we do is tracked and if you're productivity and accuracy are high enough, you'll earn a small raise of about 5% -- or that's what they tell you at least. The company tries to stick to a contrived "fun environment" where the "fun" is literally forced. If an employee doesn't participate in games, potlucks, dress-up days, and pep-rally style meetings, they won't receive the raise that they earned through performance. Some people just want to come to work and do a great job, but they lose out on money because they don't want to do Easter egg hunts, Secret Santa gifts, pajama day, onesie day, or "dress like a geek" day. We're treated like literal children, which is fitting, because management is so basic.
    -Being unhappy at customink is absolutely not allowed -- after all, its a "Great Place to Work" according to many. If someone is unhappy with one of many pointless changes in the company, they get in trouble. If someone fills out one of the many surveys the company sends out and marks their job satisfaction low, they get in trouble. The company uses surveys and weekly one on one meetings with management to gather information on employees -- we're told these things are a safe space to be 100% candid / anonymous and share our true feelings in a casual environment. However, that's simply not the case. If someone shows even a thread of dissatisfaction, it will affect possible pay raises, promotions, and annual reviews. Basically, if you have a bad week, it goes on your permanent record.
    -While the company is very oppressive for "team members," managers have it much easier. Customink pays for regular events for them like Happy Hours at local bars, manager retreats (they all go stay in beautiful cabins in places like Lake Tahoe), dinner parties, free lunches, etc. Management never solves problems because they all have the same idealist outlook and personality. Meetings are literal echo chambers.
    -Managers are also never around to support the team. They attend pointless meetings such as "brainstorming sessions" in which they come up with "ideas" - work related or not. Anything goes. They also have a weekly Book Club where they go to a coffee shop and talk about a book during office hours. Meanwhile, the rest of the team is toiling away with every movement and conversation meticulously tracked by the company. We don't get extra breaks or meetings, and there's not much free time. As mentioned before, we're discouraged from taking time off even when sick, but most managers show up to 2 hours late and leave early every single day. My manager shows up 10 minutes late & leaves about 45 minutes early every day but I had to have a serious meeting with him because I took 4 days off due to a major respiratory infection.
    -All in all, working at customink is exhausting and not at all worth it. There are jobs out there that will actually pay you what you deserve without all the games. Employees are sapped of energy and creativity and forced to be compliant in a system where management hardly knows what it's doing. Change is constant and clumsy. Many wrote it off as "growing pains" but it's much worse than that. Whenever a change is rolled out, nobody has the answers as to what is actually going on. Management often promises to follow up with details, but they never do.
    -On top of it all, the work/life balance is horrible- between mandatory overtime that is often added with no warning, unpaid emotional labor, and high social expectations. Employees are punished for doing things outside of work - posting negative things on social media, drinking too heavily on the weekend, cussing during lunch or after work, or searching for other jobs. If someone tries to leave Customink, many managers won't act as a reference because it's company policy to try and stop people from quitting at all costs.

Advice to Management

-Management needs MUCH more training. Most team members have serious resentment over management not working hard or being reliable.
    -Let people express themselves!!!! People are afraid to admit that they're dissatisfied with their job or with their manager because they'd be punished for it. The company has NO idea that about 70% of employees are completely miserable because we're bullied into acting like we're happy 24/7.
    -Stop promoting people based on personality. It's extremely obvious and very frustrating to those of us who have to be managed by people who are disorganized and unintelligent.
    -Provide more opportunity for promotions / advancement for people who actually work hard and deserve it.

"Becoming too corporate"

Current Employee - s/s
    Current Employee - s/s

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

My coworkers are the nicest people you will ever meet. Customink truly hires great people.
    Decent pay (before TNPS rollout)
    Good benefits

Cons

The company is going in a whole new direction, and no longer seems to see employees as people. We are simply metrics and TNPS scores to them now. TNPS means the customers have control over your paycheck. This puts employees in a lose -lose situation, trying to make the customer happy, while also looking out for the financial interest of the company. If the customer doesnt get huge discounts, free orders, etc. reps are punished with bad TNPS scores. This means our paychecks shrink.

Advice to Management

Don't pay us based on TNPS. We know "all the other companies use it" but CustomInk used to stand out from the crowd. Now it's just another corporate company that doesn't care about its employees

"Sales/Service"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at CustomInk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, and 2 weekly meals

Cons

Favoritism is a biggy, young management, and lack of career growth opportunities.
    They speak about 'Ownership, Golden Rule, and Integrity,' but very few in management uphold these values.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Sales & Service in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales & Service in McLean, VA

I worked at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunches, really energetic - friendly, vivacious vibe. You get to work with a lot of creative people.

Cons

As the company grows it's becoming more and more corporate, more alienating to non-management employees. As with any company, politics is a strange and challenging to navigate part of the landscape.

Advice to Management

Remember how things were when the company was small, when people knew each other and communicated.

10. "Sales and Service Rep"

I worked at CustomInk full-time

Pros

Great company environment and awesome people to work with.

Cons

Rate and analyze everything down to a point. Hard to feel free to work as an individual. Every day in your role is very similar, not much variety.