CustomInk Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits: Health/Dental/Vision/Life, FSA (2 (in 23 reviews)

• Fun, youth-spirited, friendly work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently going through growing pains (in 11 reviews)

• Everyone here knows each other from high school (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work for a Reason!"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CustomInk is a great place to work and have won several awards for this. They've been more transparent and realistic lately, which I really appreciate in terms of where we're at as a company both in terms of vision and economics. It's also clear on what the goals are. The benefits are unparalleled and they run their business as such but with a personal touch. Even if you are or aren't in the right role, they do what they can to develop and help you grow into the next role that you're interested in. I've seen first hand how flexible they are here when you're going through rough times and they do what they can to accommodate. I can't say enough.

Cons

They give more chances than most companies for folks that have slipped in reliability, ethics, or performance, which can be both a plus and a con.

2. "Print cost associate"

I have been working at CustomInk part-time

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for! Management is fantastic, even part time employees get great benefits and the environment is so friendly and upbeat.

Cons

I've yet to experience a downside to working for this company.

"Used to be fun, not anymore."

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch every week and lots of snacks everyday, but they've been cheaping out lately. Went from decent catered meals and brie to dominos pizza and peanuts.

Cons

Middle managers do not have enough experience or people skills to properly manage. Instructions unclear and management continually changes vision.

Advice to Management

Too many growing pains and excuses for not fixing broken processes. Bringing up issues gets you written up for not being a team player because everything is awesome here.

4. "Production Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at CustomInk (Less than a year)

Pros

Caring management always makes time to hear concerns

Cons

A little too focused on metrics and micro-management at times

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

Helpful employees, great facilities. Great feedback/coaching/development.

Cons

Lots of changes, and have heard this does discourage some.

"Hire Management based on EXPERIENCE."

I worked at CustomInk part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freebies, free lunches, fun working atmosphere, cheerful environment

Cons

Hard to really put roots down in the company. So much keeps changing.

Advice to Management

**I wanted to love working at Customink.
    Young and fresh company with so many great freebies and perks...but the management is all so inexperienced.

**In order to grow and establish a fruitful company, it's important mix the old with the new. You need a healthy combination of seasoned folks who have experienced the ups and downs of business and have the foresight to plan accordingly.

**Putting most of your eggs into the baskets of 25-30 year-olds is risky business-and I think that CI is learning that the hard way (or maybe they still haven't figured that out--because they continue to eagerly promote from within--and teams, along with projected growth continues to diminish).

**Success happens from the top down, and yes it's nice to be a "young" and "cool" company, but older folks bring about a wisdom that kids fresh out of college just don't have. CI will be successful when they learn to blend the 2 entities together.

***The culture of CI is truly great. But, at the end of the day, "Culture" isn't what keeps the wheels turning and entire teams from being laid off....it's smart business. CI has a good thing going--they need to switch gears and work smarter--or they will continue to get more negative reviews as time goes on :(

"Inconsistency rules here."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent pay. Nice atmosphere. Awesome coworkers.

Cons

Very very very inconsistent pay. I have worked here for 3 years and have seen our bonus structure change at least 3 times. Each time it changes, it is of benefit to the company - not the employer. The company is always looking for ways to pay you less, but make you do less work.

Certain metrics of your bonus structure are weighted - which means your teammates poor performance negatively affects your pay. Management has acknowledged this, but tried to spin it as a 'we're all in this together!' Type of deal.

Management is extremely inconsistent. I have had my worst boss ever here,and my best boss ever.

Also, I dont care what anyone says: Middle management is very very cliquey. If you are not in the group, you are not moving up. Better make sure you are a pretty girl or a minority if you want to move up!

The midde management trap: the career opportunities stop at middle management. They would rather import people from Intuit instead of promote from within for any position that matters.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the bonus structure. If you do, make sure it is of benefit to the employee and not you. Stop spinning negative changes into good ones.

"Production Artist"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This role is ideal if you like to work autonomously while jamming out to music. Guidelines and measures for success are pretty straight forward and it's pretty tough to get fired. You literally have to have no work ethic to be let go from this company.

Cons

Not much room for growth in this specific role unless someone in leadership positions leaves or moves elsewhere. The role can be pretty repetitive and you start to feel like a robot if you're someone that prefers to interact with others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation! It's great to see that you're focused on employee professional development.

"Sales and Service rep"

I worked at CustomInk part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and flexible being a part time rep

Cons

To much empasis on grading employees, time could be spent on helping customers. Everything changes daily so very hard to keep up with it. Feels like you are in school sometimes and not working.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and focus on the customers.

"Good place to start"

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

The team members are wonderful. The amenities and atmosphere are also very welcoming and warm. Helping creating a great experience for customers is also rewarding.

Cons

Compensation is very average. Also the workload can be very up and down. It can be very busy (and thus stressful) and other times there are very slow times. So you are subject to the company's seasonal flow.