Cuyahoga County Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Robert W. Varley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CCPL is a solid company"

Current Employee - Library Page in Parma, OH
    Current Employee - Library Page in Parma, OH

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very receptive to students
    Has scholarships for college students
    Friendly staff
    Easy work
    Longevity guaranteed
    Opportunities to grow (a bit)

Cons

Low pay (slightly above minimum wage)
    Working on evenings and weekends
    Non-bargaining unit for some positions (union)

2. "Homework Center Tutor"

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, changing environment; wonderful people; satisfying work

Cons

3 timesheets to fill out

3. "Page"

Pros

-people
    -culture
    -job is interesting
    - great place for highschool job

Cons

I dont know everything was great and people are fantastic

4. "A really good place to work"

Current Employee - Page
    Current Employee - Page

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is great, so are the coworkers. The work is not hard and they are willing to be very flexible with your schedule to meet your needs.

Cons

There is only one problem working here really, we are only allowed 15 hours a week. If we were allowed to work full time I would probably do it for the rest of my life, but you can't support yourself on 15 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Please hire fewer people at more hours. It will be easier to schedule them and they will be better at their jobs. The low maximum for hours makes so many people leave so then you have to train new people all the time.

5. "Unfortunate. Worked in administration."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH

I worked at Cuyahoga County Public Library full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers. That is the only reason I survived. I worked with great people, but many were let go. Has a good reputation. Lots of materials.

Cons

Feldman truly only likes the people she hires. I'm sure she feels they will be loyal to her. I worked with her for many years and she was truly horrible. If she didn't like you, you were screwed. Many don't talk about it because the library has a good reputation, but many staff hate working under her. And they don't want to lose their job. Externally, she looks great but internally she is very hard to work with and I feel truly wants to advance her career and that's it. I would never go back and would tell people work somewhere else like CPL.

"Page @ CCPL"

I worked at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time

Pros

Nice place to work and very quiet! Hours were pretty flexible. Pretty easy job once you learn how to re-shelve and know where everything goes.

Cons

Patrons would approach us and ask for help finding materials and the librarians would ALWAYS reprimand us for it - even if we instructed the person to ask at the reference desk. Literally, if they saw a patron speak to us, they assumed we were telling them where to find stuff. It was really annoying. Also I was never allowed to work more than 20 hours a week, even if I wanted to.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the pages!

"Nice company with lots of potential"

Pros

There is plenty of room for growth. People are constantly moving to new positions and locations. There are always initiatives to encourage interest from the public. There are great benefits including personal and vacation time. Benefits for full and part time.

Cons

Upper management doesn't listen to employees . On the rare occasions that they do ask their opinions, they are not used. It is as if the opinions are only asked so that they will seem like they care about the employees concerns. Probably too keep them quiet.

"Page at the library"

Current Employee - Student Library Page in Fairview Park, OH
    Current Employee - Student Library Page in Fairview Park, OH

Pros

The library has a wonderful atmosphere and friendly people. There's always something interesting going on and the tasks that one does as a page are wide and varied.

Cons

The hour maximum is 15, even if you are willing to work more. Not part of the decision making process as far as organizing the collection, though we have the most day to day contact with it.

Advice to Management

The page hour maximum is far too low. It would be better to hire fewer pages and have them work more hours. It would create a more cheerful work environment if pages were allowed to make more decisions regarding displays and organization of the collection; currently the staff that is most familiar with the collection on a day to day basis is left out of the decision making process. It would also be nice to not have to worry about getting reprimanded if a patron approaches us with a question and we answer it.

"Page at the Library"

Current Employee - Student Library Page
    Current Employee - Student Library Page

Pros

Work around schedule, very friendly

Cons

Your opinions are not always valued, especially if younger

"Upper Management Does Not Support Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

If you happen to have a great supervisor (and that's a big "if"), then it can be a pleasure to work at a branch. If you have a nice clientele and good colleagues, it can be a very enjoyable job to work as a checkout clerk or at the reference desk. The pay is low compared to lots of other careers, but good compared to other library systems. There are many good benefits.

Cons

Even if you are a 16-hour per week employee, you are expected to be available whenever the library is open - they do not support you having another part time job. Your schedule can change weekly. Upper level management seems hellbent on getting rid of employees and going to a retail, self-service model which the public vehemently opposes. I used to like my job quite a bit; however, with the plans the clueless Board of Trustees has come up with (several on the board use their library cards very little or not at all), I am now considering leaving.

Advice to Management

Cut the arrogance, and don't just give lip service to other employees. Listen to us - really listen - and take our suggestions seriously. We are the ones on the front lines, not you. There are other ways to save money in this tough economy than angering taxpayers by closing community branches. And, for goodness sake, please stop claiming you want to "Put Cuyahoga County Back To Work" when you're laying off your own people!