Cvent Reviews | Glassdoor

Cvent Reviews

Updated July 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Senior Management results oriented (in 35 reviews)

• Vibrant culture, Open door policy, Collaborative environment are only a few pros (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough but Cvent doesn't try to mislead people about what the company values (in 49 reviews)

• Expect to work long hours, especially if you are in Sales (in 36 reviews)

"Fine to work for a while but company is not open to change"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, getting better every year

Cons

Management doesn't portray a concise view of goals

"Good"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere - Benefits - Life and Work Balance

Cons

Compensation - Improvement - and Work Load

"Just Fine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good immigrant policy, good insurance policy and work load is not that high

Cons

Short PTO and sick leave, bad WFH policy. People here followed hierarchy too much.

Advice to Management

Increase PTO, thanks

"Cvent -- Not Even Once"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good only if homelessness is your only other option.

Cons

1) Software engineering sweat shop -- 45-hour minimum work but 50-60-hour weeks are not uncommon.

2) Cvent is cheap. They often pay way below market rate for various positions. Benefits are so-so. If you work in a satellite office and they wish to fly you to HQ, they will not pay extra to fly you out Sunday night so be at the airport Monday morning by 5 am to catch your flight. They sometimes will make you share a hotel room to save money. If you give notice they will not pay out or let you take accrued PTO if carried over from last year. They provide lousy monitors, underpowered computers, and torture devices disguised as office chairs.

3) A frighteningly incompetent middle management -- What type of employee would stay at a company that pays below market rate (see #1 and #2 ) and expects your first born? The type that can't find work anywhere else. This results in a number of truly useless individuals who've stayed at the company for years and rose to the ranks of middle management.

4) Command and control structure bolstered by title inflation -- if you think you're going to come to Cvent and enjoy a collaborative environment where ideas and designs are chosen on their technical merit and you have the ability to make a difference -- think again! This is a place where if someone cannot justify their bad idea rank will be pulled. And there is a lot of rank -- titles and promotions are handed out like candy to those employees who are connected. Middle management types mentioned in #3 love this arrangement.

5) Scrum used as a weapon -- this place obsessives over scrum points, burn-down charts, and KPIs. Delivered code comes second.

6) Terrible code base drowning in technical debt -- as mentioned in at least one other Glassdoor review, Cvent's core codebase is laughably bad. I don't think anyone at the company has ever taken a software engineering course or read Code Complete. Cvent has dozens of Architects, Senior Architects, Senior Principle Architects (see #4) but apparently, they do very little architecting.

7) Equally bad infrastructure -- in the fall of '16 a single hard drive failure took down the company's entire internal infrastructure. Approximately 1200 employees couldn't get any work done for 5 hours. I guess they've never heard of RAID or hot-swappable. Incidents like these make sense when you read the Forbes article with the Cvent CEO saying "Cheap is the new religion".

8) Mandatory IQ/personality tests for existing employees -- this one speaks for itself. Employees who refused the test were told they'd be fired. Management claims the test was for establishing a baseline for future hires and would not affect existing employees. I'd like to believe this but why did they ask employees to sign their names on the test?

9) Recently bought by Vista Equity -- do some googling and you'll find out what happens to companies that have been bought/gutted by Vista Equity. It's not pretty.

10) In a nutshell this company has no culture, no work/life balance, very little integrity, and limited career opportunities unless you thrive in a Machiavellian environment.

Advice to Management

I don't think they care.

5. "Great place to get started."

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for right out of school. Great training.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move-up.

"Terrible Culture"

I worked at Cvent full-time

Pros

Strong training programs particularly in sales.

Cons

Extremely negative culture including public shaming and harassment.

Advice to Management

All the worst aspects of the company begin with the CEO and trickle down.

7. "Very Positive Experience; Highly Recommend Cvent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a very positive experience throughout the entire process- from interviewing till now as a current employee. During the time I was interviewing I had another offer, but the recruiter I was working with was able to speed up the process and get my into the office quickly.

All my teammates are very supportive and willing to help even if they are really busy. I can tell that everyone wants each other to succeed and grow. Upper management is very transparent and puts a lot of effort and money into making sure their employees grow professionally. Lastly, my favorite thing about Cvent is the culture. It's very unique and impossible to replicate. We are a work hard play kind of company. There is tons of opportunity for growth and upward mobility.

Cons

sometimes late hours; you have to wait till the end of the year to get your 401 K match if you decide to leave Cvent; the 401 K match could be better.

Advice to Management

Offer more frequent training's that are open to all employees to improve hard & soft skills. For example, a monthly or bi-monthly training's like on excel or how to be an effective leader. Improve the way our 401 K plan is structured so you can receive your match if you leave before then end of the year.

"Cvent needs to mature as an organization"

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- work schedule flexibility
    - decent benefits overall

Cons

- feedback from employees/lower management seems to be ignored by upper management
    - remote employees are frequently excluded from events/perks that people in the office have
    - benefits severely lacking in some areas (i.e. sick leave)
    - lack of transparency regarding company policies

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. You say that employee engagement is important, but then you have a "companywide" event that 1/3 of the company isn't invited to, and it's not live streamed. Treat all of your employees equally and with respect and it will go a long ways toward keeping people engaged. And actually listen to your employees when they bring these concerns up and come up with a plan to address them!

9. "Getting very big"

Former Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA

I worked at Cvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office atmosphere. Energetic and ambitious.

Cons

Cvent had made some acquisitions, and added products to their offerings that didn't integrate well. Some sales teams could sell anything, while others were siloed. This made it difficult for customers to build a trusting relationship with a small team.

10. "good work"

Pros

free coffee and soda in office
    access to metro station

Cons

too many meetings at times