Cyber Science Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 7, 2018

1.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "SCAM ARTIST: WARNING"

Current Contractor - Digital Strategist
    Current Contractor - Digital Strategist

I have been working at Cyber Science Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

He seems to be very nice, very professional, and quite charming — but it's all a facade to get free work out of people.

Cons

I worked with Robert Katz for 4 months. During the first month, we worked great together. We talked on the phone 3-5 times a week for hours at a time as I helped him overhaul his strategy and branding. He paid me after the first month and work went along as scheduled.

However, after that, we continued to work together and I continued to give him 20/hours of work a week for 3 more months. When I sent him an invoice, he was always apologetic and would come up with an excuse and promise to pay.

1 year later, Robert still owes me $7500 and I wasted over 240/hours of my time in his service. While working with him, I witnessed him burn multiple freelancers and since our work has been completed over 8 people have reached out to me and said that Robert wasn't paying them. I know there are lawsuits out against him and I have evidence that he owes over $25000 to freelancers all over the world.

If you are considering working with Robert in any capacity, do yourself a favor and find a client who actually values the people that work with them. Robert is no more than a scam artist and fraud. Don't fall for his charm.

2. "I started on a project for him, sent him an invoice for a deposit, now radio silence"

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer

I worked at Cyber Science Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Seemed to be OK with my hourly rate, but that seems to be irrelevant now since he won't pay me.

Cons

Updated 6/28/2018: I received an email this morning from Robert Katz catching up with me after a week of silence and asking me where the invoice for deposit was.

I sent it again and then received a second email from him stating that he saw where someone had hacked my Glassdoor account and wrote a negative review about him. (?)

I emailed back and asked how did he know it was me since the reviews are anonymous? No answer to that one. I told him my account was not hacked, that he had ignored three emails regarding the work agreement/ deposit and that I had indeed written the review (original below).

The email conversation escalated and Katz demanded that I remove the review by the end of the day.

I said no. He just demanded again that I remove it. I said no again. But he still refused to pay the deposit.

Katz has now threatened me: "I will just turn this libel, slander, and defamation over to the authorities and to my counsel."

I emailed back that libel and slander lawsuits don't fly when the statements are true.

What I said was true:

"""""""
     I think he's pulling the same bluff on me that he's pulled on others who have posted here. My story with him is exactly like theirs. He contacted me with an exciting project, we did a Facetime interview, and said he needed the graphic by next day.

He sent a PPT he had worked on that was chock full of notes, drawings, arrows, the kitchen sink and my job was to turn it into an infographic.

I went against my own policy of getting a deposit and an agreement in place before I lift a finger. I started working up grayscale diagrams to try to sort out and parse the info in his PPT. 5.5 hours in and sure enough, when I sent numerous emails with an explanation that I needed an agreement signed by him along with an invoice for the work I had already done, he went silent on me.

The only email he responded to was one that had the latest iteration in which he was very enthusiastic. After that, when he got the bill, nothing but crickets."""""""

And it's still true because he refuses to pay the deposit. He has original artwork that he refuses to pay for. If I see this artwork appear anywhere on his websites or online I will file a complaint for theft.

Advice to Management

If you want to sue me, you'll have to find a lawyer within my jurisdiction who works on contingency since I can't see you laying out a retainer.

"CON MAN, SCAM ARTIST, & CHARLATAN!"

Former Contractor - Freelance Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Freelance Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cyber Science Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Robert Katz is extremely complimentary of the work you do for him, and heaps praise on your talent and work output.

Cons

Robert Katz doesn't pay you for all that wonderful work he tells you you do.

I was initially contracted by him through the freelance platform Guru.com in January 2017, and tasked with with designing some marketing collateral for a seminar he was attending in Israel. The first phase of the project racked up a bill close to $400, which I was actually paid on.

The second phase was much more intensive, with close to 30 hours of work. These hours included being on call 24/7 - often going until 2 or 3 in the morning on Friday and Saturday nights - to meet the "imminent deadline" that Robert kept stressing. Even after Robert arrived at his seminar in Israel with all the materials finished by their deadline, he had me on call 24/7 to make updates and submit new files to Israeli printers so that he could have everything he needed. I've always believed in going above and beyond the call of duty with my customer service to keep clients happy, but I'd say getting on the phone with printing companies in Israel at 2am on a Sunday night to make sure a client makes their deadline takes the cake.

In total, Robert ran up a bill of about $2,400 with me on Phase 2. Every few days he'd reassure me that I'd be getting paid that week, only to push it out week after week. After about 6-8 weeks of this nonsense, he abruptly went radio silent and never contacted me again. None of my calls or emails were ever answered.

Throughout both Phases, I either worked with Robert directly, or with his assistant, who often coordinated projects for him while he was traveling. After about a month of not hearing from Robert, I was contacted by his assistant who wanted to know if I'd been paid for all my work. It turned out she had never been paid either, and as the coordinator for all his various projects, had the names and contact info of a dozen other contractors who had worked on the same project in different capacities. We formed a group email thread and discussed how to go about trying to get paid for our services. In total, the group was owed more than $30,000.

The last I heard, one of the group members sued Robert in court, and Robert failed to show up for the court date.

Robert S. Katz is a vile snake of a human being. He makes a living by taking advantage of people. Don't get within 1000 yards of this miserable excuse for a person!

Advice to Management

Honor your contracts, pay your bills, and show some integrity!!!

"intentional, serial and criminal under the guise of Cyber Science Institute"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Cyber Science Institute as a contractor

Pros

Take heed from all of these negative reviews. Robert Katz should be prosecuted for intentionally robbing people.

Cons

The one thing he's stolen from me that's more precious than money is my time. As a cancer survivor my time is more dear to me than any amount of cash. He stole time that I could have been spending with family during the holidays.

The fact that he couldn't articulate a clear thought, let alone a clear vision or purpose for the project, wanted deliverables within a week for a project that required at minimum three weeks with several phases, changed direction after reviewing what I'd submitted was a huge red flag.

However, like many, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Fool me once shame on you [Robert]" as they say. I'd intentionally asked if this was a logo project and he said no, then after reviewing what I'd submitted changed the direction to be a logo project. Believing I was dealing with someone who doesn't understand the phases required to achieve successful deliverables I provided a detailed mock-up of what I intended to deliver as a preliminary. After discussing in detail I proceeded. Only after that did he change the entire direction of the project and then when I pressed him to discuss what he felt wasn't right he made lame excuses and said he'd get back to me. That was on January 2.

He also wanted me to change a daytime photo to night-time. Seriously!? On one stock photography site alone there are over 2500 images of the Manhattan bridge, about half of them at night.

His behavior is intentional, serial and criminal and I'm sorry that all of us are subject to his crime. I was taught to look to the better angels in all of us and it's people like Robert that let me down and make it difficult to trust in start-ups and people who are legitimately trying to grow a business.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing.

"Web Developer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

A very polite person, with an awsome background.
    Will always be here to work for him.

Cons

Don't have none at the moment

Advice to Management

Work always thru Guru, and you will find his 99.9% positive feedback.