Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 30, 2017

1.0
Daniel W. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

1. "Cycle creates an "Us vs Them" mentality between the stores and the corporate office."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount (cost + 10%), turns you into a killer salesman, gear expert commissions are high, yearly Shoei discount (50ish% off), you get to talk about your bike all day.

Cons

Sales goals are often unrealistic, high turn around for employees, poor communication from corporate to DM to store employees about what's happening within the company, promises of advancement are rarely kept.

Advice to Management

DMs,
    Give your stores the tools to succeed.
    Don't forget who's on the front lines, making all the money for your bonuses.
    Make stores feel like a part of your team, not a worthless cog in the giant cyclegear machine.

2. "Employee Discounts For Enthusiast Not a Career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts for your passion other than that. Its hard to think about anything else. If you have a career or are looking for a basic part time weekend job to make some side money to fund you passion this will be ok. If you wish to make money and move forward in life not so much...

Cons

Low Pay, Only about Sales, Don't care about the Team. If you have been with them or make sales they are happy. They will jerk you around. Employed for almost 2 years had to fight for a raise and still didn't get what I requested.

3. "One of the WORST Employers in the Country"

I worked at Cycle Gear (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts if you are a rider and being able to talk about bikes all day with you colleagues and customers are probably the only two.

Cons

The company refuses to pay people what they are worth hence one of the largest employee turnover ratios I have ever seen. The hypocrisy that exists within the people and programs that influence the direction of the company is mind blowing. Senior management forces employees at all levels to push inferior products such as the entire Bilt product line. I have personally witnessed many of these products fail in the most benign situations.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out and raise the standards of products and personnel. Could be a great company if bottom line margin wasn't placed in front of rider safety. It is unacceptable to sell a protective product such as Bilt and Sedici that can be pulled apart by hand and fails in many situations.

"Assistant Store Manager"

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts. Fun bike nights.

Cons

Poor pay. Huge expectations to receive a .50 raise. Company does not care for employees as they state.

"Unethical leadership - Great industry involvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Specific to the HQ in Benicia... It was great to work with and around so many power players in the motorcycle community. HR cares about the employees. Lots of great people to work with.

Cons

Executive management is callous and unethical. Employee compensation and promotion is based on favoritism and manipulation, not experience, responsibilities, or accomplishments. I saw, first hand, many store employees blackmailed to stay in a particular store when they wanted to transfer. Assistant managers are the work horses while store managers have it relatively easy and make twice the pay.

I was threatened with termination for things like attempting to call out violations of policy and/or labor law as well as for asking for market level compensation when my responsibilities were elevated from administrative level tasks to sr management level tasks.

Advice to Management

Instead of paying the minimum you can get away with while demanding maximum allegience and productivity, you should cut director/executive pay from mid 6 digit figures and compensate the middle management and administration that do the heavy lifting.

"Had fun, until they fired the whole team."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love motocross and motorcycles so I hadthe time of my life working here. I loved learning about new products and meeting new people. I never dreaded coming to work (maybe during inventory).

Cons

"Company" products were horrible quailty and I seriously felt bad selling them to customers and if I see a BiLt helemet on the street today I want to shake the person and tell them to get something safe! I only worked there for a year and a half and I think we had around seven different TL's come in and work with us. It was frustrating because we would learn how to do something one way from one person then someone else would come in and say we're doing it wrong. The company had standards but they weren't being used by everyone like they should have been. To top it all off, a TL from Washington came and gave us all our last pay checks and wouldn't give us a reason why. We all spit balled about it, maybe we were all getting paid to much (we were all over minimum wage at that point) or because we were trained incorrectly. It was a while ago but it still hurts me to think a company would do that to all of us. I loved working here but I've never been back nor will I ever. I'll also never reccommend someone to this store.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. They will take care of you back.

7. "Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

Cons

The amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

"I used to love motorcycles..."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Motorcycles... if you work at a store. But the sales requirements of the crappy "BiLT" line makes me wonder if CG cares at all about rider safety in the face of increasing gross margins.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations given the tools available at any level of the organization. The soul-sucking corporate culture is terrible. The environment of "the beatings will continue until morale improves" permeates from the head office to the warehouse then down into the stores.

Advice to Management

Restructure the executive management. No one feels like they care about anyone but the board of directors.

"You can do better than here, trust me"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Id have to say the only 2 pros are the discount and getting to meet cool people here and there. Thats seriously it.

Cons

Where to start. Well besides making no money and having no life to ride you're motorcycle anymore. The company is now pushing only their exclusive brand "Bilt" over everything else. And the Bilt products honestly suck while you're told to basically lie to customers that they are getting a great quality item. The management is a complete Joke. from the store level to the district leader to the idiots sitting at a desk in corporate. Sales goals can be unrealistic, employees are constantly being let go or quitting. I had an issue with the store manager, reached out to corporate and basically was ignored. If they read this they know exactly who I am. Trust me its not the job you think it will be before you start. A true motorcycle enthusiast should skip this place. And if you're manager
    is anywhere near as evil as mine was goodluck staying out of Jail.

Advice to Management

Drop the Bilt brand and you're company might have a future 10 years from now, otherwise along with you're joke of a management team the company will lose alot of business and respect. Though you've already lost mine.

10. "Worst job I've ever had, too bad, could've been a lot of fun."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun customers
    Get to talk about bikes all day long
    Get to influence new riders as far as safety goes
    Co-Workers generally share the same interests
    Discount is great, too bad they dont pay enough to make it worth it.

Cons

Where do I start
    You better make goal. Weather crappy and no customers? Too bad, better make goal.
    High turnover. Always training someone new. Get paid extra to train new people? Of course not
    Constant add-on pushing. 1 add on is ok, but when told to push add ons for every sale and then the unrelated purchase with purchase at ring out? A little excessive.
    Low pay. Barely above minimum wage.
    No benefits
    Zero training at all. Basically, get hired, you're on the floor running.
    Managers like to hire friends that have zero motorcycle experience rather than promote from inside.
    Give customers no incentive to shop in store, in fact, now charging a shipping fee to order in the store that is not charged online. Tough to make goals that way.
    I could go on and on about store policy, but basically, it was a horrible experience

Advice to Management

Promote from within, ease off slightly on the goals, its too much pressure for such a low paying job. Offer better commission. Try to RETAIN employees instead of burning them out and then simply replacing them.