Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel W. Nelson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great employee discounts, generally enjoyable days at work, good coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

"It's Fine but you better love motorcycles and having no time to ride except to work."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love being in the Motorcycle industry or you will hate it. You won't be riding with your friends since you will be working on those days. Upper level Management needs a true refresh. Completely out if touch with the reality of running a store.

Cons

Pay is terrible and they feed you constant crap about spiff, bonus, and how you can make so much more easily when the reality is you will have unrealistic sales and operations goals. Be held to an unachievable standard that no one in upper level management is capable of achieving. That is if you get past the four interviews required to just land a part time sale position. The old timers at the Store Support Center (laughable name now) need to take the blinders off and look at how times are changing.

Advice to Management

Stop the ridiculous amount of interviews to hire a PT person.
    Hold your SSC people accountable like you hold the store personnel.
    It might be a business but unhappy employees cause more issues than happy ones. Stop feeding us BS about pay and hours. Give us the payroll to hire the right people and keep them happy.
    Get rid of a CEO that has no clue of this industry.

"Store manager/District manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager/District Manager in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager/District Manager in Benicia, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are around people (customers) that love motorcycles and if you work for this company you should love them too. More of a retail experience and less of a traditional motorcycle industry or dealer experience. This is one of the few jobs that allows your work to be your passion. Pay is fair for most store and field leadership positions.

Cons

Field leadership is not strong and there are very unrealistic goals set for stores by people that have no idea what the day to day reality is of running a retail store and taking care of your customer. Payroll continues to be cut to levels that do not allow store coverage by more than one person many hours each week in most stores. In store training is antiquated. Current applicant screening is over complicated and eliminates good candidates.

Advice to Management

In the past this company was run by people who knew and loved motorcycles, they are no more. Current management (they are not leaders) only know numbers and spreadsheets. Corporate and upper field leadership needs a serious change from micro managers looking out for their own interest to people who know and love motorcycles, participate in the sport and have a genuine desire to help customers and store team members. Make your customers and potential customers feel like you support the sport by participating in regional and national motorcycle events (think race team sponsorship or support of a race series, Sturgis etc...).

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Lead Sales in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Sales in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Great work environment. The lifestyle is great.

Cons

Pay. It flat out sucks. How can a business expect a sales person to make 1500 in sales and only pay them 9/hr.

Advice to Management

Pay increase. Commission and spiffs are a joke.

"Entry level job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motorcycle environment, fun coworkers, great discounts on merchandise and parts. Great to learn about the motorcycle industry while being paid

Cons

Management isn't all that great, under educated, don't know what they are doing, sneaky, sometimes the sales goals can just be too much

Advice to Management

Invest in employees

6. "Hostile work environment, under-paid, and awful management."

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on location (Big box store or regular store) and title, your commission can be quite large. They also have flexible scheduling so if you're a student, it's ideal. If you ride, then the discounts can save you a lot of money, too.
    You can advance fairly quickly IF the management likes you.

Cons

Hourly pay is quite low.
    The management is just awful.
    90% of the time I felt harrassed and lied to.
    I had been there for two years, got promoted to supervisor, and was generating 150+% of goal every month in my department. They demoted me and said I had to work on sales. Then, when the position was opened again, they asked if I still wanted it. I said yes, and they said they would start training me for it again... They ended up training a new-hire on my days off, and made her my supervisor.
    Everything is ran extremely backwards here. As far as the harrassment goes, I felt singled-out. I was the only employee being targeted like this by the "Team Leader", and even other employees noticed.
    When it comes to "team bonding", there is none. The supervisors and higher always eat lunch together in a seperate room. They don't want us regular people to think we're friends.
    Part of me thinks they were giving me this run-around in hopes of me quitting, that way I never received unemployment. Well, I stuck it out for as long as I possibly could until I had to just walk out one day and never come back.
    I guess this multi-billion dollar company won.

Advice to Management

Read the "Cons" section and you'll figure it out.

"Great job for students"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty decent employee discounts, fun atmosphere, good stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things in the motorcycle industry.

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay, typical inflexible corporate method of doing things, micro management

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line workers. Customers are generally not interested in poor quality products (ie: Frank Thomas). Empower your employees (or at least asst manager/manager level employees) to make decisions on discounts. Continue to sell at MSRP and Cycle Gear will follow the path of retailers like Best Buy... where consumers walk in to physically exam products before ordering online.

"Decent job if you need money to get by or stuck in a crunch."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Scheduling is kinda flexible with schooling.
    -Discount on apparel and accessories.
    -Get to see all the new cool motorcycle stuff.

Cons

-Minimum wage pay or just a tad over to start.
    -Raises are yearly about and covers just the rise in minimum wage/cost of living; new hires will make almost as much as you.
    -Vacation? Only if you are full time and its laughable at best.
    -Working all holidays and only getting paid holiday pay for Thanksgiving and Chrismas Eve.
    -Want you to drive sales, sales, sales! It's all about sales for corporate and you will have daily "Goals". Dont meet your goals? Well if you don't you, take modules and watch videos which are supposed to help you sell more.
    -Force you to push addons, spray polish, visors, leather cleaner, anything that Cycle Gear can make a buck on you need to push it and it becomes overbearing on you and especially the customer.
    -Commission/Spiff, barely anything. Maybe an extra $60 on your paycheck.
    -Health benefits? $80 a month, pay a $90 co-pay each visit to go to Kaiser to see the doctor.
    -Management gets pressure from Corporate to drive sales and meet goals- that pressure is put onto you whether the store is reaching its goals or not, you are EXPECTED to meet your goals.
    -People quit this job so fast you're always babysitting a new employee
    -Too many store meetings to watch videos and once again try and help the team drive sales.

Advice to Management

Calm down with all the goals/sales and preferred item crap. It comes off as pretentious to customers who have to constantly get badgered with add-ons and upsell.
    Want to keep employees happy? Well pay them a competitive wage and maybe a decent commission program (4-5% at least- we all know what the profit margin on those helmets and jackets are).
    Modules/Videos are a joke- they don't give you any real information about any of the products listed and is good for wasting time.

On another note, carry stuff people want and not stuff cyclegear brand or get the highest profit margins off. People may want some in house brand stuff that is cheap but the quality isn't up to par and people want choice.

"What was once a fun place to work is now a place of bickering management and promotion of "buddies" by management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

If you love motorcycles, this is a great place to work. Although Cycle Gear doesn't sell motorcycles, they do sell everything related to motorcycles. Hundreds of helmets in stock as well as on and off-road apparel and hard parts. Management is good about scheduleing your work hours around your school schedules too.

Cons

Raises are hard to come by unleess you are a partying friend of the manager. I don't know if this holds true at the other Cycle Gear store but I doubt it. Full-time positions are hard to come by too.

"The company doesn't care about you."

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers. It's so cool to talk shop and see how the industry works from the inside.

Cons

The company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. Like, they don't care at all. As long as they're making money, they'll turn a blind eye to abusive supervisors and blatantly ignore the fact that a manager treats all their employees like trash (unless he/she thinks they can get into the employee's pants).

Advice to Management

Use HR to actually take care of your employees. And keep an eye on your SMs and DMs. Just because they are making money for the company does not mean they are treating the customers and fellow employees with respect. Too many times I had to deal with an SM that would leave for HOURS while still on the clock to "shop for TVs" or "get lunch" at an expensive restaurant. He even left to get his hair cut and teeth cleaned on the clock, and HR did nothing about it!!!! He would constantly berate me and my coworker and call us "stupid" and "worthless" before slamming doors and breaking stuff that would ultimately cost the company money (which he would then blame on us). BE CAREFUL WHO YOU PUT IN POSITIONS OF POWER.

11. "Too much for too little"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of my fellow coworkers are amazing people, professionally and personally. Professionalism is at the top of the list, but a welcoming sense of "fun and cool" happens occasionally. Benefits are decent and, for the most part, work schedule is fairly flexible. Fairly new CEO has great potential.

Cons

Unfair senior management and lack of respect, unfair workload (to near-impossible deadlines), unfair pay (compared to most similar positions in other companies), inconsistent work/life balance. My voice is rarely heard.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager for our department who also cares about the workers and not just about money and himself.