Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2017

Daniel W. Nelson
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They really stress making weekly sales goals (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 9 reviews)

1. "Assistant Mananger"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time

Pros

Laidback, good management, decent benefits for management, ability to travel to other stores

Cons

low pay unless a store manager

2. "Store Manager"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic company to work for prior to the large umbrella acquisition .
    what better way to make little money helping motorcyclists make buying decisions.

Cons

very poor commission structure, lack of staff, inventory is questionable at times

Advice to Management

see list

3. "Enjoyed the Customer Relationships"

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly clientele, relaxed atmosphere, passionate employees

Cons

Drama within upper management, two-faced treatment, "guilty until proven innocent" approach

Advice to Management

Get the whole story from employees who are accused of mishaps by their store manager, and don't make other employees sign contracts stating they cannot talk to someone after they leave the company. Remember that it cannot be upheld in a court and you cannot control people's personal lives outside of work.

4. "Fear and Intimidation Tactics"

I have been working at Cycle Gear (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for incredible profits and team dynamic with proper training.

Cons

Threats to complete inventory, maintenance, and stocking jobs followed by inhibiting those jobs from completion. Was told to fight amongst fellow employees instead of working as a team. The store is a disaster and never in order. All my efforts to organize backroom and front are inhibited with threats of being fired. If i wanted to make sale, i would do what other employees are doing and just stand at the register. There are good workers here, but we are enviutaged to fight amongst each other. This is manipulative and counter intuitive to team work. I have training in group dynamics, but am not allowed to help my team and the customer.

We have been threatened wih retaliation if anyone reports the manager. We have?been warned, the last person who complained had hell to pay.

Time is money. And we waste hours searching for items that are not appropriately put away or stocked. We would make goal and then some if we were allowed to make the store organized for each other and for the customer. We are hurting sales by maling it hard in the customer to find what they are looking for. The only person who knows where everything is is the manager and this glfeels manipulative as they always make sale. And if we are short for the day, we are intimidated into spending our minimum wage payroll just to keep our jobs.

Advice to Management

Hire Second City Works, Comedy Sportz Worldwide, or Bob Kulhans "Business Improv". Have them teach a workshop at an upcoming Managers Training Event. I have worked with all of them. They can empower the company with improved profits from improvs lessons of team work and working together instead of the antiquated idea of competition between peers.

5. "Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, employee enthusiast culture

Cons

Did away with esop, multiple acquisitions and upper level management changes make for an unhappy work environment.

6. "Not a bad job"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Discount
    Friendly customers
    Bike nights
    MOST managers are laid back

Cons

Management is all over the place
    Some stores will have rotating managers depending on needs

7. "Great employer for someone who loves interacting with customers, loves motorcycles and doesn't mind a career in retail."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Discount
    Great atmosphere
    Motorcycles all day, everyday
    Can be a very rewarding career, but only if you do what they ask, not what best benefits yourself.

Cons

Corporate politics
    Some policies that hurt the employees
    Hours
    Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals

"Great PT Position"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Fun place to work, great customers, awesome store manager - very knowledgeable and helpful, brings his expertise to bear to assist staff in closing sales.

Cons

Overly hot summer here - too hot for anyone but die-hard riders, so not a lot of customers coming in.

Advice to Management

Understand lack of traffic/local economy are indeed factors, and figure those metrics against company goals - impossible to sell to 'ghost' customers; understand that low traffic = low sales

Management appears to believe lowered sales volume is due to staff/store management, but in our neck of the woods, we greet every single customer coming through the door, and generally close over 80% of them on at least one item.

It's great to define metrics - to a certain extent. When a father comes in with three children, though - that's not four potential customers.

I was a $100K earner at several companies prior to a disabling accident - I don't believe my sales skills are the question.

Drive customers through the door, and I'll have appropriate opportunities to sell.

9. "Great Side-gig"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome discounts, usually a really fun place to work, meeting new people, being around something your passionate about

Cons

cluttered work spaces, sub par products, unclear policy guidlines

Advice to Management

find a better way to display in store promotions. 400 sales signs doesnt seem very authentic.

10. "San Marcos"

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun college job. Everyone was in to motorcycles and I am too so that was fun.

Cons

Pay was pretty awful, but it's a retail store so I can't complain. Spiff was only for the products made in Pakistan and not for the better quality products that will actually protect the customer in a crash.

Advice to Management

Hire the good part-time employees as full-time employees so they can afford to stay!