Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Cycle Gear Reviews

4.0
Daniel W. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for if you love powersports"

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Coworkers had passion for power sports
    Very generous employee discounts
    Flexible hours

Cons

They really stress making weekly sales goals
    When its a slow day, staff can be very stressed
    Corporate sometimes doesn't have a connection with employees at stores

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

2. "Watch your pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good discounts, friendly coworkers, room for growth

Cons

manager had no idea how to look up pay information to see if you were actually compensated correctly. Late night inventory checks

Advice to Management

better applications for pay, scheduling, etc.

3. "Worked here in College"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here in college. Simple retail experience nothing special. The discount is the best reason to work there.

Cons

Because it's retail it doesn't pay much. Not necessarily Cycle Gear's fault.

Advice to Management

Please stop making the boring training videos everyone hates. It doesn't do anything but give us something to make fun of.

4. "Exellent opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Cycle Gear (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome environment for both customers and employees.
    Training department is top notch.
    Excellent product selection for all types of customers.

Cons

Can be monotonous at times.
    Salaried employees work 45 hour weeks.
    Not many holidays for in store employees.
    At times support from corporate can faulter.

5. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with CG for almost 7 years and and very happy. It it helpful when you have a great boss.

Cons

Some of the customers can be unpleasant but for the most part, that going to happen with customer service.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work. Lots of support from corporate side. Lots of internal upward movement.

Cons

Long hours (retail management) Only real way to move up in the company means relocating.

Advice to Management

full time most places is 40 hours, not 45. Pay is low in reality based off of a real 40 hour work week.

"Great place to gain knowledge on industry based sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part the customers are interesting and kind. Co workers are friendly and welcoming; it's a definite team effort. Pay is decent. A lot of multi tasking is required, definitely sales and goals driven. Commission is a cool incentive. Bike nights are fun. Management is helpful. Corporate guidelines are set up to aide associates, definitely beneficial. There is definitely a career ladder available, so if you're competitive and a go getter I would say go for it! However these jobs are very demanding! I'm not too sure about benefits, being that I declined what was available. All in all, I enjoy assisting customers (that soon become regulars, that soon become friends and educators) with purchasing items that we both have the same interest in.

Cons

As I'm part time, there's so much to do in so little time. Mods are set up to educate associates, but I will say that in person training is even more helpful<<
    Being that this job requires major team effort, it's kind of sucky when there is tension and or jabs being thrown across the work floor between associates. Considering that we're all just humans, I guess this is imminent in every job.

Keeping in mind that this job has a lot to do with interpersonal communications and relationships, I do believe that pay should be higher.

Advice to Management

Management should work together to improve store quality and experience. I would say lead by example. It's a fun place to work at, but if management is not at its best then you're experience as an employee would be horrible.

8. "fun laid back job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, discounts, discounts. If you ride any type of motorcycle then this job is amazing. I've never had a job where I get such a good deal on amazing gear. Vendors like shoei, arai, and dainese give cycle gear employees discounts on their products. I got a $500 shoei brand new from the company for $250. On some things in the store you can get upwards of 60% off. It is absolutely incredible.

Cons

very numbers driven and sales goal oriented. It can get annoying but in the end that is what lets you get those amazing discounts.

Advice to Management

Realize that the seasons and the weather have a huge impact on the business of the day. Just because numbers were low one day, does not mean that the employees slacked off all day. Sometimes it just means it was raining.

9. "Low pay, but a generally enjoyable job."

Former Employee - Sales in Pacheco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pacheco, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Great employee discounts, generally enjoyable days at work, good coworkers. Training was boring but useful and very applicable to the job most of the time.

Cons

Low pay rates until someone reached store management level. Sales goals and push for sales got tiring sometimes, but it's a business and the job is to sell, so most of the time it wasn't that big of a deal.

Advice to Management

Investing in your good employees and keeping them around (ie, giving them pay and benefits they can actually live on) will help reduce turnover and improve customer service and team knowledge. Could probably accomplish more with fewer people.

10. "Enthusiast based retailer"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the motorcycle industry is very fun as an enthusiast. Cycle Gear provided many opportunities to network with other industry professionals and opportunities to meet professional racers. It was also a great opportunity to stay up on current products and changes in the industry.

Cons

It was hard to balance work and home life with the demand of retail hours. This however is the same in most if not all retail environments.

Advice to Management

Look closer at individual markets, especially for older locations. Factor in economical factors of the areas such as unemployment rate, potential new customer base and existing customer purchasing habits when setting store plans. Also look at geographical factors such as crime rate in area of store, location of competition, location of other major retailers and changes to retail activity in the area. For example relocating a store from a more economically depressed area of the city to a more desired shopping area. Especially in areas where development favors an urban sprawl and new development is moving away from the store location. It is harder to drive customers to less desirable area of the city that is out of their "comfort/safe" zone.