Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Daniel W. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As far as pros go, obviously any job is what you make it. I personally put a lot of effort into the job and in return got a lot out of it. The discount is pretty awesome, if you ride, youll save a lot of money working here. The pay is pretty competative, if you're just starting out be prepared to make a little above minumum wage but give it time and effort and you can easilly get a raise from becoming a key holder (as well as your annual reviews, in two years my hourly pay went up 2.50/hr which is unheard of in most companies.) The stores "reward system" if you will pays out great to the employees that work hard for it such as inter-company contests with monetary rewards ( sometimes very generous) as well as their "Gear Expert" program which based on how well you sell, can double the amount you make when you sell certain items (spiffs) as well as your commission. (makes a huge impact on your paycheck especially in summer months if you work in the northeast like i do) The upper management regularly checks in to the individual stores, especially new ones which allows you to talk one on one with them and give your two cents. (trust me they listen, and if what you have to say makes sense they will try to get it done) GREAT networking tool to work here. Ive made some friends from customers and even some professional contacts that will benefit me in my future endeavors. BIG opportunity for advancement. Cyclegear is opening up new stores at a fast pace and they will give people already working for the company first dibs on new positions. Its a great way to move up fast. Honestly there is probably more to list but like i said its what you make it. If you slack and dont do your job, your pay will ultimately not be as much as it could be which i could see would lead to some negative reviews.

Cons

Goals in winter months are somewhat unrealistic sometimes, 100% satisfaction guarantee is a great thing for customers but i think there should be some stricter limits on what a customer can return. pretty much if they complain about it (regarless of whether or not its their fault) for long enough, management will give the OK to return the item to satisfy the customer, sometimes leaving you with a set of tie downs the customer attempted to suspend his motorcycle from the garage ceiling with, dropping the bike, and blaming the tie downs for not supporting the bike.

but in any job you get your crazies

Advice to Management

Higher starting pay rate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Advice to Management

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

3. "Nice team to work with, plenty of opportunities for advancement"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are alot of bonuses and extra commission available if you work hard and know what you are selling

Cons

you could struggle if youre not prepared to meet daily and weekly sales goals

Advice to Management

none

4. "Cashier, Sales associate, Customer service, Retail"

Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate, Customer Service, Retail in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some Pros about Cycle gear and have Its an awesome experience, if Dirt biking is your hobby this this job makes you feel right at home. The company also does weekly paychecks and pays their employs well.

Cons

the girls that work there are too much in to the clicks . almost like high school

5. "Team Member / Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, very educational, balanced

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Better coverage

"This has great potential!"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Strong Team Work. Very flexible. Great work/home life balance.

Cons

Compensation. Benefits. A little clique-y. Lacks formal processes and procedures (however, I know they are working on it).

Advice to Management

If you want Cycle Gear to grow, you will need to leave your muddy boots at the door and standardize a little more. Start small. Like adding name plates at every desk. Adding titles to individuals in the directory. Having an official signature in all correspondence. With the expected expansion, you will need to bring more polished individuals who are going to make the company move forward, they aren't going to come to a company that doesn't even have the simplest things.

7. "Would do it again if I could"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff
    Thorough training
    Well organized
    Fun to work for

Cons

Almost no ability to take time off, open all year, only one holiday

Advice to Management

No advice, just a solid thanks.

8. "Assistance Manager"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time

Pros

Great company and good benefits. Each shop I went to had a great work environment and usually friendly staff that all got along together (huge plus).

Cons

Miscommunication can happen frequently, getting things setup for each sale and season.
     (to be expected).

Advice to Management

Clear and concise dissemination of information to all employees about what needs to be done.

9. "Sales Associate / Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Manchester, CT

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with great people, made lifelong friends. Great discounts on products. Laid back atmosphere. Looking back I had a great time working here. 100% customer satisfaction guarantee made it easy to help customers who weren't happy and allowed almost anyone to make an executive decision to make the customer happy. The old CEO, Dave, came into our store once. Was interesting to see him in. I've seen the new CEO, Tracy, in our store before too. I never would have expected to see them since corporate headquarters is across the country in California.

Cons

The only time I didn't like working here was when they brought on an inexperienced manager who made many mistakes. Orders wouldn't get placed and people were upset when their order didn't arrive on time. They are numbers driven, focused on the bottom line. Even more so now that they've been purchased by another company and are becoming more corporate.

Advice to Management

Provide better training materials for all employees, including managers. Some sort of workshop to take them through the daily process before they jump into a live store.

10. "It's great"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a great place to work.

Cons

Need to pay to industry standards.

Advice to Management

Need to pay a little bit more to cut down on people leaving the company. Better incentives and clearer career paths.