Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Daniel W. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Gear"

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Discount on gear is great! The company has new ownership that has hired a new CEO and COO that seem to have some much needed changes on the way.

Cons

Schedules are posted only 3 days before the week starts. Work life balance isn't really there since the short notice on the schedule makes it hard to plan. Pay is a little low, but that's also just retail in a seasonal business. Hard to move up unless you're willing to up and move out of state and all employees except the store manager are part-time. Hours fluctuate a lot and you're expected to be able to work anywhere from 15-40 hours. Training is hit and miss, seems like beating a dead horse on certain topics and others there isn't anything provided.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive rather than reactive. The new CEO seems to have some positive changes in the works.

2. "Cycle creates an "Us vs Them" mentality between the stores and the corporate office."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount (cost + 10%), turns you into a killer salesman, gear expert commissions are high, yearly Shoei discount (50ish% off), you get to talk about your bike all day.

Cons

Sales goals are often unrealistic, high turn around for employees, poor communication from corporate to DM to store employees about what's happening within the company, promises of advancement are rarely kept.

Advice to Management

DMs,
    Give your stores the tools to succeed.
    Don't forget who's on the front lines, making all the money for your bonuses.
    Make stores feel like a part of your team, not a worthless cog in the giant cyclegear machine.

3. "Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The industry, customers, culture and motorcycles.

Cons

Leadership
    Merchandising
    District Leadership

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and be honest to your employees

4. "Fear and Intimidation Tactics"

I have been working at Cycle Gear (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for incredible profits and team dynamic with proper training.

Cons

Threats to complete inventory, maintenance, and stocking jobs followed by inhibiting those jobs from completion. Was told to fight amongst fellow employees instead of working as a team. The store is a disaster and never in order. All my efforts to organize backroom and front are inhibited with threats of being fired. If i wanted to make sale, i would do what other employees are doing and just stand at the register. There are good workers here, but we are enviutaged to fight amongst each other. This is manipulative and counter intuitive to team work. I have training in group dynamics, but am not allowed to help my team and the customer.

We have been threatened wih retaliation if anyone reports the manager. We have?been warned, the last person who complained had hell to pay.

Time is money. And we waste hours searching for items that are not appropriately put away or stocked. We would make goal and then some if we were allowed to make the store organized for each other and for the customer. We are hurting sales by maling it hard in the customer to find what they are looking for. The only person who knows where everything is is the manager and this glfeels manipulative as they always make sale. And if we are short for the day, we are intimidated into spending our minimum wage payroll just to keep our jobs.

Advice to Management

Hire Second City Works, Comedy Sportz Worldwide, or Bob Kulhans "Business Improv". Have them teach a workshop at an upcoming Managers Training Event. I have worked with all of them. They can empower the company with improved profits from improvs lessons of team work and working together instead of the antiquated idea of competition between peers.

5. "Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, employee enthusiast culture

Cons

Did away with esop, multiple acquisitions and upper level management changes make for an unhappy work environment.

"The company doesn't care about you."

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers. It's so cool to talk shop and see how the industry works from the inside.

Cons

The company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. Like, they don't care at all. As long as they're making money, they'll turn a blind eye to abusive supervisors and blatantly ignore the fact that a manager treats all their employees like trash (unless he/she thinks they can get into the employee's pants).

Advice to Management

Use HR to actually take care of your employees. And keep an eye on your SMs and DMs. Just because they are making money for the company does not mean they are treating the customers and fellow employees with respect. Too many times I had to deal with an SM that would leave for HOURS while still on the clock to "shop for TVs" or "get lunch" at an expensive restaurant. He even left to get his hair cut and teeth cleaned on the clock, and HR did nothing about it!!!! He would constantly berate me and my coworker and call us "stupid" and "worthless" before slamming doors and breaking stuff that would ultimately cost the company money (which he would then blame on us). BE CAREFUL WHO YOU PUT IN POSITIONS OF POWER.

7. "Too much for too little"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of my fellow coworkers are amazing people, professionally and personally. Professionalism is at the top of the list, but a welcoming sense of "fun and cool" happens occasionally. Benefits are decent and, for the most part, work schedule is fairly flexible. Fairly new CEO has great potential.

Cons

Unfair senior management and lack of respect, unfair workload (to near-impossible deadlines), unfair pay (compared to most similar positions in other companies), inconsistent work/life balance. My voice is rarely heard.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager for our department who also cares about the workers and not just about money and himself.

8. "Great Company to work for if you love powersports"

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Coworkers had passion for power sports
    Very generous employee discounts
    Flexible hours

Cons

They really stress making weekly sales goals
    When its a slow day, staff can be very stressed
    Corporate sometimes doesn't have a connection with employees at stores

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

9. "Watch your pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good discounts, friendly coworkers, room for growth

Cons

manager had no idea how to look up pay information to see if you were actually compensated correctly. Late night inventory checks

Advice to Management

better applications for pay, scheduling, etc.

10. "It's great"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a great place to work.

Cons

Need to pay to industry standards.

Advice to Management

Need to pay a little bit more to cut down on people leaving the company. Better incentives and clearer career paths.