Cycle Gear Reviews | Glassdoor

Cycle Gear Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee discounts are awesome, as are the customers (in 7 reviews)

• Exciting environment, if you are in to motorcycles, its a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough budget to hire employees to get tasks done in a timely manner while focusing on sales goals (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay rates until someone reached store management level (in 7 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate / Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Manchester, CT

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with great people, made lifelong friends. Great discounts on products. Laid back atmosphere. Looking back I had a great time working here. 100% customer satisfaction guarantee made it easy to help customers who weren't happy and allowed almost anyone to make an executive decision to make the customer happy. The old CEO, Dave, came into our store once. Was interesting to see him in. I've seen the new CEO, Tracy, in our store before too. I never would have expected to see them since corporate headquarters is across the country in California.

Cons

The only time I didn't like working here was when they brought on an inexperienced manager who made many mistakes. Orders wouldn't get placed and people were upset when their order didn't arrive on time. They are numbers driven, focused on the bottom line. Even more so now that they've been purchased by another company and are becoming more corporate.

Advice to Management

Provide better training materials for all employees, including managers. Some sort of workshop to take them through the daily process before they jump into a live store.

2. "Corporate Takeover"

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to talk to people about motorcycles, something that if you work here are passionate about.

Spiffs on certain items sold and something that hardly qualifies as the word Commission.

Cons

Over the last year and a half cycle gear was bought out by a corporation that's main goal is to buy and sell companies. The stores and employees are products to these people and it is incredibly obvious.

Commission is as low as .25%. Not 25% (point)25%

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees they are the reason you make money.

3. "Great employer for someone who loves interacting with customers, loves motorcycles and doesn't mind a career in retail."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Discount
    Great atmosphere
    Motorcycles all day, everyday
    Can be a very rewarding career, but only if you do what they ask, not what best benefits yourself.

Cons

Corporate politics
    Some policies that hurt the employees
    Hours

"Great PT Position"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Fun place to work, great customers, awesome store manager - very knowledgeable and helpful, brings his expertise to bear to assist staff in closing sales.

Cons

Overly hot summer here - too hot for anyone but die-hard riders, so not a lot of customers coming in.

Advice to Management

Understand lack of traffic/local economy are indeed factors, and figure those metrics against company goals - impossible to sell to 'ghost' customers; understand that low traffic = low sales

Management appears to believe lowered sales volume is due to staff/store management, but in our neck of the woods, we greet every single customer coming through the door, and generally close over 80% of them on at least one item.

It's great to define metrics - to a certain extent. When a father comes in with three children, though - that's not four potential customers.

I was a $100K earner at several companies prior to a disabling accident - I don't believe my sales skills are the question.

Drive customers through the door, and I'll have appropriate opportunities to sell.

5. "Exellent opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Cycle Gear (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome environment for both customers and employees.
    Training department is top notch.
    Excellent product selection for all types of customers.

Cons

Can be monotonous at times.
    Salaried employees work 45 hour weeks.
    Not many holidays for in store employees.
    At times support from corporate can faulter.

6. "Great Side-gig"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome discounts, usually a really fun place to work, meeting new people, being around something your passionate about

Cons

cluttered work spaces, sub par products, unclear policy guidlines

Advice to Management

find a better way to display in store promotions. 400 sales signs doesnt seem very authentic.

7. "Employee Discounts For Enthusiast Not a Career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts for your passion other than that. Its hard to think about anything else. If you have a career or are looking for a basic part time weekend job to make some side money to fund you passion this will be ok. If you wish to make money and move forward in life not so much...

Cons

Low Pay, Only about Sales, Don't care about the Team. If you have been with them or make sales they are happy. They will jerk you around. Employed for almost 2 years had to fight for a raise and still didn't get what I requested.

8. "Assistance Manager"

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time

Pros

Great company and good benefits. Each shop I went to had a great work environment and usually friendly staff that all got along together (huge plus).

Cons

Miscommunication can happen frequently, getting things setup for each sale and season.
     (to be expected).

Advice to Management

Clear and concise dissemination of information to all employees about what needs to be done.

9. "San Marcos"

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun college job. Everyone was in to motorcycles and I am too so that was fun.

Cons

Pay was pretty awful, but it's a retail store so I can't complain. Spiff was only for the products made in Pakistan and not for the better quality products that will actually protect the customer in a crash.

Advice to Management

Hire the good part-time employees as full-time employees so they can afford to stay!

10. "One of the WORST Employers in the Country"

I worked at Cycle Gear (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts if you are a rider and being able to talk about bikes all day with you colleagues and customers are probably the only two.

Cons

The company refuses to pay people what they are worth hence one of the largest employee turnover ratios I have ever seen. The hypocrisy that exists within the people and programs that influence the direction of the company is mind blowing. Senior management forces employees at all levels to push inferior products such as the entire Bilt product line. I have personally witnessed many of these products fail in the most benign situations.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out and raise the standards of products and personnel. Could be a great company if bottom line margin wasn't placed in front of rider safety. It is unacceptable to sell a protective product such as Bilt and Sedici that can be pulled apart by hand and fails in many situations.