Cymer Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Cymer San Diego Reviews

Updated November 29, 2017

San Diego, CA Area

3.2
Cymer Chief Technology Strategist of ASML & SVP of Cymer Technologies Division Robert P. Akins
Robert P. Akins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is an issue too (in 9 reviews)

• Multiple people in upper management come from low tech background such as automotive industry (in 11 reviews)

1. "working at Cymer"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great Technology as well as very smart people to work with.

Cons

can't think of any

2. "Do not work a contract for these guys, especially “part time”"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The facility is nice, the IT Helpdesk does a great job, the industry and technology is exciting... if you are directly hired on as An FTE, you may be treated as a human being, and not a disposable “head” to be exploited.

Cons

If they hire you as a contractor, especially as a “part time”, they will likely do the do the following:

• Give you a vague goal and set you to work, making sure you are not involved in planning and work effort estimating, and never communicate any milestone goals or deadlines

• Move the goalpost (requirements) around constantly, and ignore and/or blow off any attempts at getting clarification On what they are looking for

• Start leaning on you heavily to deliver these vague deliverables on a schedule you had no part in estimating for not had a chance to give feedback or a heads up to, and which is completely unrealistic; Meanwhile they will not budge an inch on approving the hours needed to complete the task.

This is part of a tactic to exploit contract employees into working a lot of unpaid hours, and this company displays the most egregious example of this tactic I have ever seen in my 15 years of contract IT work (much of it at one of the largest software companies in the world). This is not what I experienced and observed in how they treat other contractors. Cymer is notorious in San Diego for chewing up contract employees and spitting them out. Don’t let them do this to you! Someone should look into a class action lawsuit here.

Advice to Management

Stop these explorative tactics with your contract employees!

"great place to collect a check"

Current Employee - Senior Controls Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Controls Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

underlying science/engineering is awesome and has many challenging problems

Cons

company treats symptoms rather than underlying issues

4. "Good while I was there"

Former Employee - Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Community outreach is excellent.

Cons

Too many different managers, one every year.

Advice to Management

I bet you are kicking yourselves now, so you already know. Boy you lost some great people.

"Absolutely worst place unless you wanna ruin your life!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I remember. All bad memories!

Cons

Long hours, bullying in extreme, abusing managers, over the top unrealistic expectations, no training, no Beni for of doubt. Do one mistake and you're fired!

Advice to Management

Better quite

"It's not Cymer any more"

Current Employee - Machinist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Machinist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are fairly decent

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing it's complete chaos from the top to the bottom

Advice to Management

Replace all the people in the human resource department

"Very Poor Leadership on Cymer Side of ASML... Stay Away"

I worked at Cymer full-time

Pros

Technology satisfies the inquisitive brain of an engineer. Benefits are a bit above satisfactory. Onsite cafeteria is superb. Great community volunteer relationship.

Cons

I am not so sure where to begin here as there seems to be many cons at this company. Culture, senior leadership, Cymer and ASML operating as two businesses under one roof... egos.

Advice to Management

I will start by suggesting ASML remove the executive leadership from Cymer side and readjust the reporting structure so that the entire site reports into a more mature/experienced ASML leadership team. Company operates as two businesses, Cymer and ASML. This causes major business conflicts which hinders progress, colaboration, culture under the same roof. HR does not represent the employee, only the senior leadership's agenda at this site. Senior leadership does not have a clue what is happening on the floor. This is the most disfunctional company I have seen. Perhaps all experiences are were not as underwhelming as mine.

"Not Recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm not sure I can enunciate any real pros for working at this company. I guess of pushed, their medical benefits package was pretty good.

Cons

Completely dysfunctional senior management in this company. In fact, in the recent past, CYMER went through multiple HR VP's in a 4-5 year period. The CYMER management team does not see eye to eye with the ASML (who owns CYMER) management team and fight them whenever a new policy or recommendation for improving the business is made. The Operations team is dysfunctional, starting at the top, while every other aspect of this organization remains trapped in the "glorious past" of this organization. The work spaces are dark and dingy with carpet that has so many stains in it throughout the facilities, that one wonders if anyone cares about a good workplace environment. When I worked there, I would not recommend any friends or colleagues apply. This was literally the worst professional experience of my life. Don't work here if you can help it!

Advice to Management

Reitre

"Zombie Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, good work environment. The parent company has a great future.

Cons

This location is slowly becoming a zombie company. From a vibrant and independent company, Cymer/ASML is becoming nothing more than a second thought division with limited growth for business and promotion. This is a good place for entry level positions to a manager level position, but the opportunity is extremely limited after that and you will need to leave this company for further career growth and personal development. There is little business autonomy and all decisions are made by the parent company. There is a huge culture difference between the dutch parent company and the US company, and this difference outweighs new bathrooms, color schemes and pay reductions. People here are disheartened and go through the motions - zombie like.

Advice to Management

San Diego has a limited future and statements otherwise are known to be false. Prepare for zombie results and zombie employees based on the reality.

10. "Making history"

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, amazing technology, lots of opportunity, good compensation

Cons

Face paced and intense (if you are not wired for that)

Advice to Management

Keep going as is, share price speaks for itself