Cynergy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Carson Hager

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The best company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cynergy full-time

Pros

The smartest group of people I have ever worked with.Great start up culture. Exciting projects and clients.

Cons

The organization is very flat and there is not much room for advancement within the structure while I was there

2. "Great times."

Former Employee - Vice President in DC Ranch, AZ
    Former Employee - Vice President in DC Ranch, AZ

Pros

A really talented group of people that were really focused on their craft and doing great work. Will definitely keep track of many of these people throughout my career.

Cons

Ultimately, the focus on the craft to the detriment of having any kind of culture around sales lead to a downturn.

It got crazy towards the end but it worked out well for many people that got career paths they never would have had access to at Cynergy with the acquisition.

3. "Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Technician in Duluth, GA

Pros

Easy work and good for beginners

Cons

no projects no work so be prepared for loosing a work in future. find something while you are making $$

"Was a truly magical place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I worked at Cynergy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible talent, creativity, passion and dedication to great digital user experiences. Offices were vibrant, pay was competitive, energy was palpable.

Cons

Many, many things changed after the acquisition. Former owner of the company had serious personal issues, many of which led to the downfall of a truly great place to work.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the memories. Plenty of good, bad, and ugly times. We had a good run, but sadly the viking self-destructed and brought the entire ship down with him. Still sad.

5. "Cynergy Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Cynergy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have lot of other opportunities within Cynergy

Cons

None that I can think of

6. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

I worked at Cynergy full-time

Pros

This company was one of the most impactful, innovating agencies I've ever seen. Most likely you use many apps they've designed or developed and don't know it.

Cons

Long hours, high expectations. It's not a job for people without a strong work ethic.

Advice to Management

Make sure the employees keep a good work/life balance. Use of bench time is key.

"Acquisition changed everything."

I worked at Cynergy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day-to-day work was perfectly reasonable and enjoyable and the people I worked with regularly were very intelligent and absolutely passionate about doing their job right while still being incredibly personable. We shipped good projects that solved problems well, and we could be proud of that work.

Cons

I heard stories from the early days of the company that management once backed up their employees when jobs and situations turned south, but around the time I arrived the suits had fallen in love with big projects and big clients to the exclusion of the smaller jobs that paid the bills (and consequently the need to appease those big clients at all costs), which led directly to the KPMG acquisition; if you don't hit home runs often enough, you can't sustain a small company.

After the acquisition the emphasis on big projects continued, and while many of us came around on it there was a lot of brain drain in the year after the buyout. The worst part was that the new overlords caught the ear of existing management and hampered efforts more than they helped. Specifically, part of the year-end evaluations of management-level KPMG employees comes directly from the business they generate for other parts of KPMG, which led to a lot of projects for internal customers or unnecessary add-on projects for clients that didn't really need them, which was antithetical to Cynergy's way of doing business. We used to be excited about solving a problem! Now we were just "one of the many fine products" to be sold, so to speak.

There was a lot of talk from KPMG during the first year about listening to Cynergy's way of doing software (which KPMG knew nothing about) but not a lot of following through on that talk; too much trying to shoehorn an accountant's workflow into an agile software development process. The project estimation was a joke (management wanted tech leads to file updated estimates once a project was in progress so the paperwork showed we were on target even when we went over) and the already-small QA department shriveled up pretty much once management offshored most of the work (because they were personally financially incentivized to do so!) over the objections of pretty much all regular employees that I talked to.

Advice to Management

There's good, talented people there; do whatever you can to foster their success. I worry it's too far gone by now, though.

"Excellent day to day, long term, who knows"

Pros

Work from home
    Excellent co-workers
    Interesting projects

Cons

Flat structure with no room for advancement.
    Management convinced they are far more skilled than they were.

Advice to Management

Continue building relationships with analysts and industry insiders

9. "..."

Former Employee - Experience Designer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Experience Designer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Cynergy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with an amazing set of people in all aspects of the company.

Cons

Hectic uptime with slow down time.

Advice to Management

...

"It was fun"

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with on interesting projects. The design team puts out some pretty great ideas. The developers have a wide range of skills, definitely not a "one tech to rule them all" mindset.

Cons

The work dried up and the company was acquired. Quite a few good people left. Not sure what it's like there now.

Advice to Management

I need to type at least twenty words into this field in order for the form to be valid, so I'm just typing and typing and typing.