Cynthia Rowley Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Peter Arnold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fashion Design Intern"

Former Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work directly with Cynthia and the team. Learn a ton!

Cons

Long hours. Unpaid. Some coworkers don't see you as an equal and mistreat you.

Advice to Management

Give some form of compensation to your interns. Be it lunch or hourly pay. It is expensive to work for free in NYC.

2. "Soul-Sucking Company, Vortex of Mismanagement"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-hilarious stories of incompetence to tell loved ones
    -bond with fellow coworkers over how crazy this company is

Cons

-no bathroom break (holding pee for 10 hours unless intern comes and lets you run to bathroom)
    -no lunch break
    -company in utter chaos
    -zero respect, zero loyalty
    -incompetence on all levels
    -being treated like a moron
    -receiving abusive emails in all caps, and threatening phone calls
    -pervasive fear culture
    -unethical/illegal activities
    -irregular/inaccurate pay
    -no notice given employees when locations closed
    -turnover in HQ insane--a new accountant every few months, continual cycle of PR people, Operation Managers etc. A lot of people quit the first week or month.

Advice to Management

Be kind and invest in your employees and your company will only IMPROVE AND BLOSSOM. Keep doing the same and you may not have a company in 5 years. Why be a bully? What kind of legacy do you want to have?

3. "Retail Employee"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for what it is. Ok discount on clothes.

Cons

This whole company is so disorganized. I've worked with disorganized companies before, but this one takes the cake. No HR department. No paid holidays. No time and a half. No breaks if working a 6+ hour shift (which is illegal in my state, btw). No bereavement or jury duty paid leave (even for full time employees). No support. I would reach out to HQ with questions and wouldn't get a response for days. There's no one in charge of training for the stores, so new store managers get trained by associates. Sales associates pretty much train themselves using an outdated manual. The store was put up for rent while I was here with no communication to the store. The store will have $0 days, and pretty often at that. No one is really checking up on you though. No real LP - there aren't any security cameras and no one is really double checking on your cash drawer, which makes me nervous as an employee. What if something happens? Cameras are there for my protection just as much as they are to catch criminals, but clearly they don't care that much about that. The fair labor law posters that are REQUIRED by law to be posted aren't posted anywhere. Pretty much, this company is BARELY being run. Between being bored out of your mind in the store because there just aren't any clients, and the illegal HR practices - I WOULD RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

If you want to have retail store fronts, you need to run this company like a retail company. Hire some people with strong business backgrounds so that you can make the appropriate changes to protect you and your employees. Get yourself an HR department and provide a company handbook (why isn't there one? that's not ok). You're flirting with a lawsuit if you don't make changes soon.

4. "Don't Bother with Cynthia Rowley"

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for Cynthia Rowley

Cons

There are many cons to working at Cynthia Rowley. NO Lunch allowance, No transportation allowance, no hourly pay, no perks. TONS of errands, you run personal errands for people in the corporate office. You pay for your own transportation to run errands for the company. In the interview they say that you are going to be doing all these amazing things that you never end up getting to do. Not flexible hours stay till the work is done, not understanding if you have to leave early for school or if you are actually sick. Employees are rude and mean.

Advice to Management

Advice to management treat your interns better, just because we work for free does not mean that we should be treated poorly and yelled at, for asking questions. There is a high turnaround with employees that should be a sign for the company to wake up. The company as a whole is very disorganized people that work there need to get it together.

5. "Horrible place to work or be apart of"

I worked at Cynthia Rowley full-time

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here other than you barley get paid.

Cons

Terrible hours, horrible people, extreme disorganization, no one has any idea of whats going on, no one communicates to one another at all, there is no HR department, you will be verbally harassed and the CEO (Cynthia) is without formal business education and the entire company is in complete disarray. (The actual CEO who is listed left two years ago and the place has been a huge mess ever since)

Advice to Management

Hire more people. A functioning company of this size cannot run with 6 people working. Have the CEO be someone who actually knows business and not a crazed artist who bullies everyone around the office and pays no mind to the fact that most all of the issues are their fault by lack of hiring actual management.
     It is one thing to have the boss be involved in the brand and different aspects, its another to have that person running the entire company and getting involved in PR, marketing, accounting, wholesale, store management AND be in charge of the entire design team. The company is a complete mess. I was verbally harassed, called names, bullied, and laughed at for asking simple questions on a daily basis. I was not given a chance to succeed at all.
    DO NOT WORK HERE.

6. "Not what I expected. Very disappointed."

I worked at Cynthia Rowley full-time

Pros

Working for a small company and close to the designer. Small and intimate staff. The clothes were unique and it was nice to see a customer base that looked forward to Cynthia's collections. Open to being locally involved.

Cons

Lot of uncertainty. Lack of communication or rude communication from head office. Unpaid wages. The store was listed for rent without team knowing and no communication on stores presense. Lots of gossip. Shipment can be better, clothes were being sent back and forth too often and shipping isn't cheap when it's a constantly happening.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what exactly is going on, I can only say head office needs to have a routine. There has been turnover in the payroll department and others which trickles down to the rest of the company. Also I couldn't locate the HR department and then found out there was no HR department and the executive assistant handles from what I was told.

7. "Eh"

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley full-time

Pros

Creative, fast-paced working environment, will learn a lot.

Cons

If you cannot handle stress, this is not a place for you

"Employee"

Pros

Good to put on your resume

Cons

Working here really will drain your soul. Everyone's unhappy and it's because of one person and her craziness. Turnover is frequent and after your first day you'll see why. It's disorganized, chaotic, you'll always be put down. Nobody deserves to be in an environment of this nature.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees, recognize turnover is high for a reason...... Not because people "can't handle it" but because people recognize their worth.. And that they're a human not animal. A lot of great employees will be lost if things don't change.

9. "Digital"

Pros

high fashion and creative environment

Cons

lots of work, little pay.

"Horrible people"

Pros

Good name to put on your resume even though the name is fading.

Cons

Worst people I have encountered in fashion. Since I have interned and freelance at a range of companies, I must say this was my absolute worst experience. Cynthia herself is actually horrible, along with the team.