Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Preston Campbell

Pros
  • You can feel good knowing you are helping families that are trying to find a cure for themselves or their loved ones (in 6 reviews)

• Great cause and families to work with, opportunity for growth and networking as well as a flexible schedule for meetings and field employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Many long hours, however worth if for the mission of the organization (in 10 reviews)

• Pay isn't great but that is expected from a non-profit (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Development Director in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Development Director in Littleton, CO

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work - great purpose.

Cons

Hard with the HQ in DC - a lot of red tape.

2. "Development Director"

Current Employee - Development Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Development Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A dedicated and committed team of individuals, working hard to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.

Cons

Many long hours, however worth if for the mission of the organization.

"Mission-driven organization with friendly and dedicated staff"

Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

I have experienced tremendous professional growth during my time at CFF, much more so than anywhere I’ve worked in the past. My seniors give me the tools, guidance, and encouragement that I need in order to develop and be successful in my role. The vast majority of people who work here are brilliant, creative, and friendly, and the sense of shared dedication to our mission is awesome in the truest sense of the word. The new speaker series in which people with cystic fibrosis and their families share their stories with Foundation staff is an incredibly powerful reminder of why we do what we do. At the more micro-level, my supervisor is very respectful of work-life balance, and is flexible on things like taking time off or working from home as needed. Little perks like early release on Fridays during the summer and at the start of holiday weekends go a long way to sustain morale. CFF has its quirks just like every workplace on the planet, but overall I am very happy and grateful to work here.

Cons

The most pervasive problem has to do with the historical silo-ing of different programs. You will pretty frequently find that the left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing. However, leadership is taking steps to resolve this and to promote cross-functional collaboration and information sharing. On a tactical note, we have some extremely cumbersome processes related to procurement, particularly of IT equipment. It is not uncommon to have to wait several weeks for something really basic like a (standard, no-frills) monitor or keyboard.

"Mind boggling organization"

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time

Pros

Helping those afflicted with such a horrible disease raise money to find a cure; flexible work environment/arrangements; summer Fridays and dress-down days

Cons

Everything else: management, competitiveness within chapters; no sense or encouragement of collaboration. Fluffing numbers, stealing donors from each other. Horrible and dated technology. Red tape and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Stop with the bureaucracy, red tape and manuals, webinars, and 100 page pamphlets about how to do things and trust your employees to work hard, give them their time back to do so and actually compete against other non-profits in the area. Your practices are archaic and inefficient to the point of debilitation in trying to get every day, simple tasks done.

6. "Okay Place to Start"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of holidays off
    Early dismissal Fridays in the summer
    Families are great to work with

Cons

Hard to grow in the company
    Lack of communication from management and main office
    Very stressful when it does not have to be

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to get the job done and value the employees that you have.

"Great place to work (at least at the national office)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

(I'd probably give the Foundation more of a 4.5 star rating but we'll round up because the future outlook is sunny and this is the best place I've worked in my career.)

The CF community is hands down one of the most inspiring groups of people you can work with. Cystic fibrosis is a horrible, life-shortening rare disease that places a heavy burden on those living with CF as well as their loved ones, yet people within the community are so uplifting, positive and strong. You will shed many tears experiencing their stories and journeys, both happy and sad. The amazing thing about being part of the Foundation is that we are making a tangible difference and changing the face of the disease by extending the life expectancy for those living with CF, investing in innovative new drugs that improve quality of life, and providing more content and community for those living with cystic fibrosis. The tangible impact the Foundation has on the disease and the lives of those living with CF is unlike any other organization I've previously worked at. You truly feel like your 9-5 is making an impact on people's lives.

The Foundation is making big efforts to improve the culture and the benefits of the organization. They recently implemented paid maternity/paternity leave, shortened the length of the work day and improved healthcare benefits for new employees. The pay is very competitive and there are many super talented, intelligent people working at the Foundation. You will learn and grow a lot working here.

Cons

There are 70-ish chapter locations and I don't think that the experience at our satellite locations is as ideal as at the national office. There's a disconnect between the Field and the rest of the organization and I think it's a super pain point of the organization that hasn't been properly addressed, and that comes down to politics.

There are definitely politics at CFF between senior management and between departments which I think has a far-reaching impact that is felt most directly by the chapters. Internal communication and internal goals tend to be very silo'd which can cause frustration and a feeling of disconnect when everyone at the Foundation should be on the same team, with the same mission (to cure CF!)

While many large organizations inevitably face similar issues, especially considering the major changes the Foundation has experienced in the past 3 years alone, there is definitely work to do in streamlining individual team's efforts and improving the way departments work with one another.

Also, while the Bethesda location is easy to access and the trail behind the office is gorgeous, there is a severe lack of space for meeting rooms and new employees. And the current building is not modern and lacks many standard amenities. Not a deal breaker but we can do better.

Advice to Management

Bridge the divide between chapters and the national office. Dispel the politics at the higher levels and let people go if they can't adapt to the evolving needs of our community. Continue to appreciate your junior staff and keep on fighting for people with CF.

8. "Recommended if you're up for a challenge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always more work to do and opportunities to step up/stand out

Cons

Small office; long hours including weekends

Advice to Management

Honor comp time

"Great organization, great people, great cause"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about the Foundation is that I get to work with an outstanding group of people in support of great cause. While it varies from department to department, I've found incredible mentors and career opportunities, and feel that I am consistently given the tools I need to do the job I've been tasked with. HR has recently rolled out a slate of expanded benefits, including parental leave and adoptions assistance.

Cons

The Foundation has an incredibly meeting-heavy culture, which is complicated by our current lack of conference room space; teams are actively working on the latter, but I would like to see a movement to address the former. Teams an also be quite silo-ed, unaware of what others are doing.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for teams to come together organically for discussion. Continue addressing space issue.

"Operations Coordinator"

Current Employee - Operations Department in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Department in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really don't have any pros but if I had to say something...I would say the cost of parking but that still isn't bad because that is only roughly $115 per month...which is very affordable.

Cons

The best way to sum this up is that they really care about their employees. I have only been here since December 2015 and I have NO plans to go anywhere. They are always doing something for the staff. I love what the foundation stands for and the staff is also very friendly. Great benefits as well...just got an email that we are going to get a half day before Memorial Day just because of our great work! Upper management is also great to work with as well. I'm also already moving into a different position for more growth which is really great. Work hours are also awesome 9 - 5 pm with an hour for lunch...7 hour work days...plus some departments have flexibility on the start times. The best thing I like about working here is that I feel like I am really part of a great group working to save lives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great working and continue to promote growth within your department.

"Be careful of what you get yourself into!"

Former Employee - Operations/Events Specialist in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Operations/Events Specialist in Westerville, OH

Pros

Benefits are good. Associates are nice.

Cons

Take caution before accepting a job in the Central Ohio Chapter. Very high turnover and extremely stressful. Executive Director will appear nice at first but, becomes very demanding and will micro-micro manager her staff. Four people gone under her leadership in one year.

Advice to Management

Do you give leadership training to your Executive Directors?