Cytori Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Marc H. Hedrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great time that might not last"

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Great environment, wonderful people and interesting work.

Cons

Lack of funding and a lack of profitability.

2. "Don't recommend"

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Poor organization structure, poor long term company outlook

Cons

Sluggish growth, stuffy feeling

3. "o"

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good technology with high promise

Cons

Crappy management dont trust them

Advice to Management

Fire a bunch of the people

4. "Poorly managed company"

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are the most amazing coworkers anyone could ever ask for. The only thing that would have kept me at Cytori would have been my coworkers and not being able to see them everyday. Great technology with amazing potential and it looks like management is finally shaping up and focusing on delivering what is plausible.

Cons

Still quite disorganized, understaffed with disgruntled employees after several rounds of lay offs in the last year alone included many employees who were among the most dedicated and hard working people. Many who should have been last on the list of potential lay offs. Their dedication was repaid with unemployment.

Advice to Management

Please keep going in the right direction and don't lose focus. Instead of having focused on marketing the product and sales numbers on a device that isn't even fully approved for everyday medical use, stay focused on a feasible clinical pipeline based on results and not on the potential biggest money maker.

5. "R&D Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The product development team was always great to work with. A very collaborative environment with superiors always willing to help out when you have questions. The company's technology is also very exciting and has great potential in the regenerative medicine space.

Cons

The direction of the company is a bit worrisome. Management did a good job communicating where it wants to the company to head in the next few years, but I was never confident in the company's long-term success. This was mainly due to me witnessing a lot of key employees leave throughout the last few months I was there. I always had the feeling that people were looking for better opportunities because they didn't like the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate where you want the company in the next few years, but be transparent about it. As lower level employees we can easily sift through BS.

6. "Work / Life Balance"

Pros

I am a firm believer in hard work, respect, dedication and work/life balance. I truly believe that all of these can and have been mutually achieved here at Cytori. I'm very excited at what lies ahead for us and will do everything in my power, to make our mission a reality. There's one word that motivates me everyday and I've seen, and felt it from everyone here and that's Compassion!! I'll always bet on that because you can never lose.....

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Change was necessary and will always be in everything we do in life. We are human, so we have and will adapt to any situation, as will a company that is paying attention to the things that really matter, one of them being Compassion for people who need it most. I appreciate you taking a hard look at things and making tough changes to adapt.

"A great company gone bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

There were a lot of great people at Cytori when I started. It was a friendly team and I learned a lot.

Cons

Sadly, they fired the majority of the great people and focus had shifted. There were hardly any genuine people left when I left the company.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about layoffs. Reconsider keeping a VP of HR when your other VPs are being fired. It's a shame to see a great company go bad.

"Poor management from the top down"

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are the only thing the company has going for it. Previously I would have said the company's morals and values were a pro the company had going for it but the new HR person they hired destroyed that. There are a lot of great hardworking people not getting any recognition for what they're doing.

Cons

The place runs on extremely poor management and favoritism. No room for growth, no direction given, no management, no resources. Everyone is running at full speed with no merit or recognition. Many long term employees are leaving. This should be a big red flag to management. This company needs a serious overhaul if it is to go anywhere.

Advice to Management

Have the managers actually manage.

"Good idea ruined by bad leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cytori has (sort of) commercialized a novel technique for using adipose derived stem cells for treating various groups of patients, along with tools for plastic surgery and cell/tissue cryogenic storage banks. Cytori has made a worldwide effort to commercialize its products. The overall purpose of the products is to improve patient treatment, which is in itself a nobel cause. If you are applying to be an engineering or scientific intern, you may find Cytori a good environment to learn about specific projects.

Cons

Many millions of dollars waisted on excessive executive compensation and strategic mistakes, blotting an otherwise good idea and putting the upper management true motives in question. Cytori has never turned a profit, which amounts to a lot of pressure on the workforce.

A closer look at its public balance sheets and debt structure reveals the company has been on financial life support for a long time, contributing to frequent layoffs and low job security among employees. The products mostly do not fit the customer's target budgets or needs, and there are few reliable and well defined indications for use, which causes prospect customers to avoid the technology. If you are looking to work in sales and marketing, consider the overall market-product picture and the applicable regulatory environment before you commit.

High lower-mid level employee turnover, not enough upper management turnover. Vague job descriptions at the higher levels contribute to instability at the lower levels of the organization. If you are considering an executive position, expect to deal with a lot of frustrated employees and a top management that is unwilling to change.

Cytori has had a hard path to regulatory compliance and approvals (put as mildly as possible). If you are looking to work in clinical research or regulatory affairs, expect an uphill battle, and be cautious.

If you are a scientist, engineer or MD, expect to see a lot of potential but very little willingness on behalf of management to listen.

Overall, Cytori may provide an exciting and innovative work environment, depending on your position. Not a good place to develop your career in the mid-long term. As you ascend the organization's corporate ladder, the work relations turn more and more unsavory, but at the lower levels they can be good.

Advice to Management

My advise to upper management: Retire. Pay your new management half of what you are paying yourselves. Have the newly hired upper management focus on customers' real needs and their business model. Do unbiased research upon which to base indications for use for all products. Revert to being a startup. Focus on one segment of the market and do well with it. Too many unrelated products are weighing down on the company's ability to be a market leader and becoming profitable.

10. "Perfect Team"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cytori Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

R&D Team is intimate and hardworking

Cons

Sometimes clinical samples don't come every day