D'Amico & Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sous Chef"

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great food, friendly staff, competitive pay and benefits

Cons

Not much room for growth, aging kitchen equipment

2. "management plays favorites"

Current Employee - Counter Server in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Counter Server in Edina, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice food discounts, flexibility, not a horrendous uniform, no working around greasy food/deep fryers, nice employees for the most part, decent pay.

Cons

management plays favorites, too many people being hired so my hours that i initially started w/ over 6 months ago, got cut to nothing (when i started i was told by management that i would get at least 30-35 hours a week as requested by me now i'm barely getting 20) management is giving all my hours to people that have been there for less time than i have

Advice to Management

give the hours to people that need/want the hours and the people that have been there the longest instead of playing favorites. it's NOT a good way to get a positive repertoire from ANYONE. Seriously ready to go to HR.

3. "poorly managed"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at D'Amico & Partners (More than a year)

Pros

innovative cuisine for the area

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with operations. Long-standing middle management with behavioral issues not addressed.

Advice to Management

Talk to your lower level managers, and find out what's really going on in your locations.

4. "Great training and leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at D'Amico & Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

D'Amico has the best culinary program in town and I'm always proud to tell people where I work. The staff training is the best in Minneapolis and a lot of managers have been promoted from within or eventually go off and open their own joint. D'Amico has high standards and if someone isn't playing by the rules, they're not afraid to eject them after 3 warnings. In my experience, the staff is generally happy when a poison apple is let go.

Cons

The company continues to grow so you don't know everyone by their first name.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing exactly like you're doing it. It's the best place to work (and eat) in Minneapolis.

5. "The best Company I have ever worked for hands down!"

Current Employee - Waiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Waiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt like I was part of a family that cared! Genuinely committed to great food, service and their employees.
    Consistantly promote from within.

Cons

When I first started I couldn't always get the schedule I hope for. That has changed now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Pay is poor, management is worse"

Current Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The level of service is very high.

Cons

Morale is very low, and management tends to be poor with dealing with people.

Advice to Management

Develop and maintain a set of policies for dealing with your workers. This needs to start at the top and work its way to the ground level. Remove managers who can't or won't have good people management skills. It is their job, after all.

"In an industry known for its transient nature, DPI is a standout for its exceptionally severe turnover rate."

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at D'Amico & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some generally warm and talented people that work for DPI. This company can be quick to promote from within, which seems like a pro, but that also means that they are equally quick to discard personnel.

Cons

Upper management not open and accessible to lower level employees. They don't want to hear it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your lower level employees, the people in the trenches. They know what's going on. Mid-level management only reveals what it wants you to know.

8. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Waiters Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Waiters Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Love working with everyone there. Tips are great and so is the food! Management really knows what they are doing, very satisfied working for them. Did I say the food is awesome? Cafe Lurcat has a very unique and cool layout.

Cons

Sometimes night shifts will run into the wee hours of the morning. Not too horrible, but always moving, not very many dull moments.

"Rapid Downhill Slide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Despite what one other review said, where I worked it was a "famiglia." Great people, and a supportive and friendly environment. Management was friendly and available and helpful. Work was a pleasure because of the cooperation and camaraderie amongst staff and the strong work ethic of everyone there.

Cons

No loyalty. Good employees with great work ethics were discarded and treated with terrible disrespect. It is not just the food that makes a great restaurant--no matter how good the food is, it is the wait staff that presents it and that sells customers on buying. It is their attitude and competence that makes the experience complete. D'Amico needs to start respecting their waitstaff and trusting them to do their jobs, or they will lose not only the staff, but also the customer base that came to see those servers who made the experience great.

Advice to Management

Keep your good workers, and if you want a true "famiglia," start treating loyal employees with some respect, which includes trusting people to do their jobs without breathing down their necks, paying them on time (and paying them their tips), and realizing that a team is a team for a reason, and breaking up a team that performs well together is most often disastrous.

"Still a good company, but. . ."

Current Employee - In the Kitchen in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - In the Kitchen in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

It is a great place to meet dedicated, quality people in the field. A huge amount of ex-D'Amico employees litter the landscape of Minnesota.

Cons

It's not what it once was. They've gotten big, but still don't understand some of the necessary, professional ways to treat their people. Their senior management seems to be hired/moved around for no reason other than how well they get along with Richard. Quality is not the point - kissing backsides is. There are no effective checks on what Richard thinks - so don't bother disagreeing with him, even if he has no idea what he's doing!

Advice to Management

Knock off the "Famiglia" nonsense. It's a bunch of hooey.