D.R. Horton Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
D.R. Horton President and CEO David V. Auld
David V. Auld

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance , management is questionable (in 8 reviews)

• upper management takes all for themselves (in 10 reviews)

"D.R. Horton Hurts"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to make money as a sales agent. The biggest by volume builder in America so cash flow for starts is not an issue as it is with smaller builders. Easy to make 6 figures + on the sales side.

Cons

LOTS of events, meetings, etc. that are mandatory attendance. You can easily count on working 3-4 sometimes 5 hours above and beyond your posted "Model hours". If you aren't one of the "in" crowd you can forget any sort of shot at the primo new neighborhoods. The environment is not conducive to building TEAMS. Rather the systems that are currently in place, overall attitudes from upper and mid level mgmt. are strategically in place to pit agents against each other. You or your co-workers may be asked to "tell on" or watch other peers and report back any misdoings to sales managers. The preferred lender is also not left out of this type of situation. Also, do not plan on getting or receiving ANY formal training. You are literally put onsite and IF one of the "corporate trainers" are free then you may get a visit from one them.

Advice to Management

My honest advice to the management in place is... grow up and do your jobs. This is not High School, college or any other adolescent type of environment. LISTEN to your sales people. They are the very front lines to the public to which you are selling homes to. Upper mgmt needs to loosen the vice grip it has on the mid levels. You promoted them for a reason, let them show you and remind you of what it was. Spread the money love around. Give others a shot at the cash cow neighborhoods. Fair is fair.
    Lastly; get some sort of training program & adhere to it. Do it consistently across the board. We live in a fair housing market. Don't do as I say NOT as I do.

"DO NOT WORK AT DR HORTON"

Current Employee - Server Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Server Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on some leading edge projects

Cons

Pays far below market
    Cliquish and petty
    Server Engineers are made to work help desk
    Long hours

Advice to Management

Learn that your people are your greatest asset

"NEW HOMES SALES"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a favorite then you will do well. The offer good health insurance.

Cons

they consume your life, you have to market for them to Realtors before work, then pull a 10 hour work day, then attend after hours sales meetings. they pride themselves on your level of exhaustion and how they can get the commissioned sales staff to do 3 different jobs and not have to pay for the work load. The management bully the sales staff and you don't dare complain because you will be moved to the dud no selling communities or even worse the townhouse neighborhood where it takes 5 months or more to get a closing/ it's a revolving door and they do not care about you. I left on good terms, gave 6 weeks notice and trained my replacement. I owed nothing on the draw and walked from a good backlog that they never paid me for. The separation was about taking my life back. working for DRH had become a miserable life of nothing but work. no family no fun

Advice to Management

learn to manage and motivate instead of being an energy suck bully.

"No balance"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I will try to think of one, but for now I would say there are none.

Cons

No work life balance. They say the vibe from a company comes from the top, the "top" here runs management on fear and trepidation . Everyone is afraid to say anything to management for fear we will get fired. NO job security, they will fire you for no reason, even when you meet your sales goals.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate who holds the company up, stop hiring yes men. Stop purchasing land that no other builder wants on sinkholes and expecting us to sell it. Stop running the division out of fear.

"GREAT Company - HORRIBLE Division!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large homebuilder, plenty of communities
    Room for growth

Cons

This particular division is completely unprofessional.
    Sales manager doesn't know how to manage a team effectively and positively - she never comes out to the communities to visit her own salespeople. all she does is send nasty emails if you aren't selling at their speed.
    Division president is one of the nastiest persons I have ever met.

Advice to Management

No- threats do NOT motivate us!
    Please stop being two-faced!!!! And stop playing favorites. If the nasty division president doesn't like you (for whatever reason, could be cause he's jealous or just that the sky is blue) better watch out, he will make your life hell and/or fire you. I can't tell you how many employees with longevity leave because of the president.
    Please hire a sales manager who actually knows what they are doing, has done it before and is good at it. Having a manger who constantly puts you down doesn't help.

"Bad management and poor work environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with large exposure in the real estate space but not sure they have the name outside of certain states.

Cons

No direction from management, favortism toward specific employees, no real opportunity to succeed, work is boring and managers need interpersonal communication skills.

Advice to Management

Remove the leadership that treats its staff like children, we are all adults and should be treated as such.

"Beware of working for D.R. Horton in MD, VA and DC!!"

Current Employee - Sale Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sale Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, salespeople, locations, Realestate, pay, commission, pay, benefits, locations, salespeople, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay,

Cons

While working for the company there were 2 lay offs. One with most management and the other just last week of 15 people. The second time no management was laid off however it's the management's fault for lay offs. With current management there's no employee appreciation or training. Management does not know how to manage people, construction, home pricing or the business in general. Also, there are not enough communities for the amount of salespeople. No TRAINING!!!

Advice to Management

The Capitol Division needs new management. Try caring and showing your employees appreciation. Management could listen to the employees because they would know what to do to increase home sales and revenues. TRAINING!!!!!

"Terrible Company to work for"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great health insurance
    Lots of specs to sell

Cons

Not allowed to take vacation time without getting fired
    Sales managment is terrible

Advice to Management

Your Dallas sales manager fires people for taking vacation time. Even after approval from HR

"DON'T WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

I don't have any Pros, because this company is a joke.

Cons

The office is a mess. Boxes and files are every where, but where they should be. They have a large volume of files but no actual structure. They have MANDATORY overtime at end of month. Like if you don't have a life. There is no actual training on how they want you to work their files or handle their process. They lied during the interview process on what they require or expect from their employees.

Advice to Management

Create a training manual or actually take the time to sit down and train your new hires. REMOVE THE MANDATORY OVERTIME, if you take the time to structure your work load and employees there shouldn't be a required MANDATORY overtime. STOP with the multitude of scanning and copies, trying to help other departments makes POST CLOSING DEPARTMENT A SLAVE to their desks.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for. I was there for almost 7 years. I had to take medication to deal with the horrible management they have in the Las Vegas area. If 4 sales were not done every month we received threatening emails. I endured a lot of abuse.