D.R. Horton Reviews | Glassdoor

D.R. Horton Reviews

Updated February 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance , management is questionable (in 7 reviews)

• upper management takes all for themselves (in 8 reviews)

"Jumping with Joy to Start 2017 Free from DRH Shackles"

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you can stand to work there - Job Security: DHI is the number one builder in the US for the last 15 years (by volume). They know how to reel in buyers; that's for sure.
    - Most managers are never there, so most of the time I was the only one working in my office. I found this fact to be irritating since many of the people not working were getting paid more than I was and I was always working very hard.
    - decent health insurance first 2 years - apparently after the first two years it is very good.
    - very good benefits package overall (that's how they explain away the low salary)
    - many offices in many states so - again, if you can stand it - you can always relocate or switch divisions within the company

Cons

- did not get sufficient training in either position I held with the company
    - management does not take the time to coach/mentor newer employees
    - was told not to clock my overtime although I am owed a significant amount of money - Division HR and Corporate HR are aware and no one seems to care.
    - pay is much lower than most other builders - especially since I never worked a 40 hour week. I shudder to think what my actual dollar per hour was during my employment. I normally worked (between at office and working from home) 60-70 hours every week for the entirety of my employment. Ouch.
    - No communication between departments!!!! SO FRUSTRATING. makes everything take three times longer than it should. Very frustrating when you spend so much time at work your boyfriend leaves you, you basically forget how to do yoga and your friends forgot your name.
    - Completely unrealistic expectations as far as workload
    - Completely unfair division of labor within departments
    - My Primary Care Physician actually advised me to quit. That's how bad this job was for me. And I'm a workaholic - always have been. But this place broke me.

Advice to Management

If an employee that was once happy, on-time, prepared, and healthy starts deteriorating rapidly and tells you verbatim "I'm burnt out" - it's probably wise to encourage that employee to get a better work/life balance and for you - as manager - to reassess/reapportion tasks within your department. Not just watch as a healthy 30-something turns into a stressed out skeleton before your very eyes.

2. "D.R. Horton Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at D.R. Horton (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to experience the entire division. Worked in each of the segments for a week before transitioning into my internship role. Got to shadow people and if you want to try a different experience you can.

Cons

Sometimes they ran our of work for you.

Advice to Management

Make sure interns stay busy.

"Construction intern"

Pros

Great people to work with. Co-workers make work enjoyable and the work itself is very interesting.

Cons

Lot of customer service work and it seems there isn't much opportunity to move up in the company.

5. "Marketing Coordinator"

Pros

Fun work and room to be creative! Good people to work with also.

Cons

No potential for raise or vertical movement within Marketing Department.

Advice to Management

For someone who has a degree and previous experience, I expected performance/expectation reviews, merit/cost of living raises and greater appreciation for this department instead of being seen as an administrative office position; which it most certainly is NOT!

6. "Intern experience"

Pros

The people were very friendly

Cons

pay wasn't great, not much actual work to do

"Sales"

Pros

Good benefits
    Good coworkers
    Nice homes
    Nice office

Cons

Micromanaged
    Too much side work expected
    Zero marketing
    Recently had a 25% pay decrease across the board for all sales agents across the board in spite of exceeding our annual goals

Advice to Management

Pay your people!
    Invest in marketing
    Stop micromanaging
    We dont need meetings EVERY week

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician
    Current Employee - Customer Service Technician

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time

Pros

There is some pride in working for the largest builder in the national. Freedom. Great support from department management. Truly given the authority to manage your communities.

Cons

Dealing with people who think they bought a custom Taj Mahal when they bought a cookie cutter box - while also thinking that their warranty includes 24/7 handyman services. Inept sales department staff (order takers) that can't work with the other department to schedule. Distance from your home to your assigned communities.

Advice to Management

Share the profits with legit raises to the customer service department. We are in direct contact with current and future homeowners.

"GREAT Company - HORRIBLE Division!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large homebuilder, plenty of communities
    Room for growth

Cons

This particular division is completely unprofessional.
    Sales manager doesn't know how to manage a team effectively and positively - she never comes out to the communities to visit her own salespeople. all she does is send nasty emails if you aren't selling at their speed.
    Division president is one of the nastiest persons I have ever met.

Advice to Management

No- threats do NOT motivate us!
    Please stop being two-faced!!!! And stop playing favorites. If the nasty division president doesn't like you (for whatever reason, could be cause he's jealous or just that the sky is blue) better watch out, he will make your life hell and/or fire you. I can't tell you how many employees with longevity leave because of the president.
    Please hire a sales manager who actually knows what they are doing, has done it before and is good at it. Having a manger who constantly puts you down doesn't help.

"Great Company to work!!"

Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at DR Horton Homes full-time (More than 3.5 years)
    Pros
    Large home builder with long tradition and culture. Great quality homes sold by employees demonstrating knowledge, passion and caring.
    Superior and continuous education to exceed expectations.
    Unlimited income potential, good benifets, very supportive sales managers and large company always opportunity for growth.

Cons

Work week can be long depending on time of year. Housing market conditions can vary depending on economy.

Advice to Management

Your doing an awesome job!

11. "Great Team & Great Environment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

By far the best team I've ever worked for! Awesome environment to work in!

Cons

only con was the restrictions on new ideas

Advice to Management

None