D.R. Horton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It can make work/life balance difficult sometimes, but this is not always the case (in 10 reviews)

• The upper management Is very involved and you have a voice in this company (in 12 reviews)

"Construction intern"

Pros

Great people to work with. Co-workers make work enjoyable and the work itself is very interesting.

Cons

Lot of customer service work and it seems there isn't much opportunity to move up in the company.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Pros

Fun work and room to be creative! Good people to work with also.

Cons

No potential for raise or vertical movement within Marketing Department.

Advice to Management

For someone who has a degree and previous experience, I expected performance/expectation reviews, merit/cost of living raises and greater appreciation for this department instead of being seen as an administrative office position; which it most certainly is NOT!

3. "Intern experience"

Pros

The people were very friendly

Cons

pay wasn't great, not much actual work to do

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician
    Current Employee - Customer Service Technician

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time

Pros

There is some pride in working for the largest builder in the national. Freedom. Great support from department management. Truly given the authority to manage your communities.

Cons

Dealing with people who think they bought a custom Taj Mahal when they bought a cookie cutter box - while also thinking that their warranty includes 24/7 handyman services. Inept sales department staff (order takers) that can't work with the other department to schedule. Distance from your home to your assigned communities.

Advice to Management

Share the profits with legit raises to the customer service department. We are in direct contact with current and future homeowners.

"Sales"

Pros

Good benefits
    Good coworkers
    Nice homes
    Nice office

Cons

Micromanaged
    Too much side work expected
    Zero marketing
    Recently had a 25% pay decrease across the board for all sales agents across the board in spite of exceeding our annual goals

Advice to Management

Pay your people!
    Invest in marketing
    Stop micromanaging
    We dont need meetings EVERY week

"GREAT Company - HORRIBLE Division!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large homebuilder, plenty of communities
    Room for growth

Cons

This particular division is completely unprofessional.
    Sales manager doesn't know how to manage a team effectively and positively - she never comes out to the communities to visit her own salespeople. all she does is send nasty emails if you aren't selling at their speed.
    Division president is one of the nastiest persons I have ever met.

Advice to Management

No- threats do NOT motivate us!
    Please stop being two-faced!!!! And stop playing favorites. If the nasty division president doesn't like you (for whatever reason, could be cause he's jealous or just that the sky is blue) better watch out, he will make your life hell and/or fire you. I can't tell you how many employees with longevity leave because of the president.
    Please hire a sales manager who actually knows what they are doing, has done it before and is good at it. Having a manger who constantly puts you down doesn't help.

7. "Great Team & Great Environment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

By far the best team I've ever worked for! Awesome environment to work in!

Cons

only con was the restrictions on new ideas

Advice to Management

None

"Great Company to work!!"

Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at DR Horton Homes full-time (More than 3.5 years)
    Pros
    Large home builder with long tradition and culture. Great quality homes sold by employees demonstrating knowledge, passion and caring.
    Superior and continuous education to exceed expectations.
    Unlimited income potential, good benifets, very supportive sales managers and large company always opportunity for growth.

Cons

Work week can be long depending on time of year. Housing market conditions can vary depending on economy.

Advice to Management

Your doing an awesome job!

9. "DR Horton Company Rating"

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time

Pros

Great Senior Management and Vision

Cons

Salary can be a little low

"Closing Manager=Glorified Data Input + Obscene Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Closing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Closing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at DR Horton are an amazing group of individuals who strive each and every day to work in a team-oriented environment. These highly intelligent individuals do not walk into the office each day to execute "their" tasks and then clock out for the day. They come into work each day, they efficiently execute their core responsibilities... and even more importantly, they have the drive to look further past their own cubicle or desk, past their own department and take in what the entire team is doing around them. While each department has a set of core responsibilities that they are held accountable for, it is not a strange thing to see individuals from differing departments meeting together in an effort to share their knowledge of their respective departments in order to see if there is any overlap in duties and if a process could be tweaked to equally benefit both departments, as well as the organization as a whole.

These are some of the most able individuals I have ever had the opportunity to work with and I can't express enough how nice it was to be able to seek advice on an issue interdepartmentally.

Cons

While many of the individuals referenced in the above question are working hard (VERY hard) each and every day, their progress is almost always stifled at the point where their ideas are to be presented to management. This is the biggest roadblock to this organization's success. All high-impact decisions are made by a group of 5 people behind closed doors. Those five individuals do not even represent each of the company's departments. So they've got 5 managers in one office every Tuesday that are making decisions that will greatly impact the day-to-day work life for every department within the company, and yet, they have no one in those meetings to provide valuable input from the Closing Department, the Title Company, or the Mortgage Company.

It's a rat race.

They come out of these meetings every Tuesday afternoon with the "new" game plan and the "new" way of doing things; which presents two problems:

1. We were not a part of the meeting, so there was no one available to let management know what tactics ARE working and what things AREN'T working.
    2. The teams are unable to feel a sense of accomplishment because the "game plan" changes every week.

The biggest con for this company overall has to do with the fact that two of the top managers in the division left, leaving two of the most important roles within the company vacant. To remedy this problem, a split second decision was made to just push two other individuals into those two extremely important roles even with the understanding that one of the replacements had absolutely no experience in the home building industry whatsoever, and neither of the replacements had the level of managerial experience necessary to take on those two incredibly important roles. I can say that one of them has stepped up and proven themselves as highly capable in their new role... During my time with the company I personally watched this individual flourish right in front of my eyes... he/she is definitely going places.

As for the other individual... I really wish them the best and I hope that the next few months will bring him/her a wealth of newfound knowledge on items such as, Emotional Intelligence, Social Awareness, Loan Program Guidelines and an overall bootcamp in what it means to work with a home builder.

Advice to Management

I can respect the clear lineation between upper management and the day-to-day players that work in the background. I get the theory, as archaic as it is.

My only advice would be to try to shift your company's culture to one of trust, integrity and quality. I was actually recruited by DR Horton from a position with another reputable builder with an understanding that they needed someone with fresh eyes to come in and assess their processes and procedures within a particular department. Thus, I was offered the role of Closing Manager.

Little did I know that everything that had been discussed in the interviews were "pretty words" they decided to sprinkle in, words that which they had no intentions whatsoever to act on.

Be honest and upfront with your employees, they are not there to pay the bills. They do not show up to work everyday so that they may be able to pay rent. They come in, work hard, review that work and then go above and beyond... every. single. day.

In essence, they are loyalists who are being cheated out of working for an organization that truly fosters the value of "team work." They are in attendance and doing phenomenal work, but their voices are muted by an archaic take on organizational management.

Have weekly meeting between the managers of EVERY department and get your company on the same page. Working at DR Horton is like getting lost in a comic book written in a foreign language. No one ever knows what page they're on, and the rest aren't even in the right book.

Fix that disconnect before things go south far enough that even a screen full of numbers can't get you back on track for the month... the quarter... the year... your business.