D2L Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
D2L Founder John Baker
John Baker

Pros
Cons
  • A few things to highlight (particularly in marketing) that have created the toxic culture that has resulted in the ridiculously high turnover (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours, low pay, old building looks cool but the air quality very terrible, bad management, don't ever work there if you are not a dog person, etc (in 7 reviews)

"Great place to work, learn and grow!"

Current Employee - Sales in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been with D2L for 5 years and started off as one of the first lead generation reps on the team. I worked hard and developed a passion for mentoring others and supporting my peers in their daily activities. I developed a career plan with my immediate manager which included internal and external professional development opportunities to grow my skills. I was promoted twice - to a Team Lead position and then into a Management position. I love working closely with my direct reports, recruiting for the team, building out incentives, working with my peers in other business units and being a part of this amazing family!

Cons

I’ve lost count of the number of folks who leave D2L and then want to come back.

Advice to Management

Our leadership team truly cares. Continue to recognize areas that need improvement and share the plan to resolve. Transparency is important. Employees will feel more included and will want to help be a part of the solution.

"Why work anywhere else... seriously."

Current Employee - Inside Solutions Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inside Solutions Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros

-Everyone is super friendly
    -Lot's of room for professional development
    -travel!
    -snacks and coffee/tea machines
    -flexible working hours
    -working from home
    - all the knowledge you need to be successful is made readily available
    -dog friendly office
    -awesome events hosted by the company to show employee appreciation

Cons

-things can get very busy {that's life), but it makes the day go by faster.
    -benefits could be a bit better
    -vacation time does not carry over.

Advice to Management

Absolutely nothing, all the management people I've been in contact with have been nothing but supportive and receptive.

"Improving"

I have been working at D2L full-time

Pros

Culture of transparent communication
    Positive energy, aiming to be a top-notch organization and employer
    Hiring top talent to senior positions, and it's working
    Using modern technologies and approaches (AWS, hypermedia, microservices, etc)
    Working in an industry that can make a positive difference in the world

Cons

Some teams dealing with an older monolithic (and cumbersome) codebase
    Still some poor managers here and there
    Some innovation can be challenging due to change-resistant customers and legacy decisions

Advice to Management

Improve HR practices like skip-level conversations to ensure managers get proper feedback

"On the Up-tick... on all fronts"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We're transforming learning. That's all that actually matters - my work is important and has meaningful impact.

Great office
    Smart people
    Customers love us
    Product is now improving quickly, and shows well!
    New Sr Leaders are taking us to the new level, and we're finally being transparent about our challenges and goals to staff - yah!

Cons

We're bigger now... roles are a little smaller and sometimes you feel like your skills aren't used because someone else has a job/task that you'd be awesome at.

Pay could be better, as could the options plan...

IPO is now something we talk about, but many people believe that'll never happen - so it remains a source of cynicism in the company

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you're on - it's been amazing to watch John grow as a CEO with our new Sr Leaders in place to execute on his vision.
    You've systematically addressed weaknesses in the business, keep that focus!

Apr 13, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. It's very rewarding when you feel the work you do is making an impact. Our mission is so inspiring and we truly want to reach every learner. The new ... More

"good working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great working environment - the people you work with really make this place
    Dogs, dogs and more dogs... seriously
    Positive work environment - team-driven
    (and there's food all the time)
    Great industry - education.

Cons

There's sometimes too much pressure to perform well, instead of looking deeper into the reasons it may be happening to begin with.

Advice to Management

You should be more encouraging for people to grow within D2L

"Amazing Culture, Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture: D2L genuinely has an amazing culture. The people are passionate, smart and fun to work with. In the past year D2L is really getting behind building a culture of "Awesome" and it's working. I get excited to come to work and help change the way the world learns.

Management: D2L has worked very hard to build a great management team and it's showing. We work hard, but we also play hard. They are investing in their management and by doing so investing in everyone that works here.

Opportunities: There are so many opportunities here at D2L. And I am not only referring to job opportunities. There are committees to participate in, events to attend, intelligent people to interact and collaborate with, opportunities to grow yourself in a professional aspect, but also personally as well. And to me the biggest opportunity of all is getting to work with all of our amazing clients!!

Cons

In the past it has felt a little like we're all pulling in different direction, that the left had was not fully aware of what the right hand was doing. But with a strong Sr. Leadership team in place now, this seems to be correcting itself.

Advice to Management

Continue moving in the direction you have been over the last year. The company feels like its hitting its stride and we're all pulling in the same direction.

Mar 6, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. It's definitely a culture of awesome and fun place to work! We've made a lot of vast improvements over the last couple of years in leadership and focus. We're ... More

"Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture of learning
    Emphasis on trying to "do things right"
    Company cohesion and execution is middling, but has only gotten better while I've been here
    Get to feel like you make a difference

Cons

Still haven't quite gotten inter-department communication right
    Why are people allowed to bring in dogs? I will never understand this.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you're going - respect your employees and trust in them to deliver you. A lot of smart people work here, and treating them right is key to your success.

"D2L is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at D2L for 5 years now, and it's been a great place to work for a variety of reasons. The main thing I like about working at D2L is it's a company who's vision I can get behind. We don't make some mundane product, or niche thing ... we want to transform how the world learns. That's an exciting to goal to work towards.

I really enjoy working with the people at D2L. My manager looks out for our team, and really encourages a good work home balance. I enjoy working with my team - we are friends as well as coworkers and that really helps our team work well together.

D2L is also a company where you will never be bored. I've worked several other places where there can be lulls from time to time - but D2L manages a great balance between always working and not over-working.

D2L knows how to look out for it's employees - we have monthly food-and-beer-provided socials at work, there's a canoe rally, curling, soccer, snacks in the kitchen, philanthropy days, and tons of other ways D2L makes working here great.

Cons

The pay is competitive for Kitchener ... but probably a bit on the lower end. See above for a ton of other ways D2L does look out for it's employees though.

If you want an easy job, or don't like dogs ... D2L might not be great for you.

"5 Years and Still Loving It!"

Current Employee - Internal Tool Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Internal Tool Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At D2L, we care about each other and we care for each other.
    Flexible Work Hours
    Table Tennis and Foosball, arcade games and some people have brought in gaming consoles and musical instruments for anyone to use in the lunch rooms.
    Playing sports together in the evenings is a great way to get to know other co-workers.
    Management actively listens and communicates about their goals, metrics they measure success using, and regularly provides opportunities for feedback.
    My immediate manager meets with me twice a week to see how I'm doing or just chat for an hour.
    We now have 2 volunteer days a year to use volunteering locally.

Cons

If you're looking for a place to sit around doing nothing and get paid, this isn't the place. I work hard to benefit the others in the company who rely on my tools to serve our customers well.
    Are there hard days? Yup, but if that's your measure of whether a job is bad or not, you'll never be happy.

Advice to Management

Keep listening
    Continue focusing on building community at D2L
    Loving the philanthropic efforts that have been started in the last few years.

Mar 7, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. Happy 5 years! Sounds like it's been a fun and productive career here so far. We really appreciate the feedback! We've hired some great leaders recently and ... More

"Business Development Associate"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal and work life Balance

Cons

Management take too long to take one decision

Mar 15, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Work life balance is very important here! That's just one of the best things about working at D2L. In regards to management, that is something we're focused on in our new ... More