DB&A Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens
Michael Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The ability to experience numerous different industries in a relative small amount of time" (in 7 reviews)

• "Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points" (in 13 reviews)

• "In addition, the project managers and team members have all been eager to help new staff in the field so you are never really on your own" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Success is not for everyone. DBA delivers success, so it is not for everyone."

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I gained more knowledge in three months than I did in years. I'm challenged daily and I love it. I know most people don't like that which is why I put on the title that its not for everyone.

Cons

You cant really understand "its 100% travel" until you're flying out and coming back every single week. This isn't a con for me but I can see why some people would see this as a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to current employees and don't lower the bar.

"“Success is not for everyone”....Really"

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros...all the talent has left this company, it is on emergency life support and the title I reference here makes completely no sense, so only the weaklings at a DBA leadership can determine who is ready for “success”?

Cons

Leadership at the CEO and Chief level is beyond horrific! In its heyday DBA delivered solid results in spite of the disengaged leadership.

Advice to Management

Terminate all from the CEO down to the Chief level, hire a real actual leader to lead the PM’s and staff appropriately, find some cornerstone clients that you can build on and completely revamp the HR department and hiring practices...then you may have a shot at survival!

"Learning a lot about how I’ve been doing it wrong!"

Current Employee - Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Management Consultant

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great improvement concept and process that goes to the heart of continuous improvement on both process AND, more importantly, behavior. Although I have many years of leadership, management and CI experience, I have learned how much I didn’t know and had been doing wrong all those years. As an employee, I’ve experienced a good balance of training, controlled application and constructive feedback. I have been allowed to learn from my stumbles and have been recognized for improvements. Advancement potential is great.

Cons

Travel is extensive, but I get home every weekend. Rarely do I get any emails that are work related while I’m home. Daily hours are long for some but not unusual for anyone who has been in business management. Benefits are average and no match on the 401k.

Advice to Management

Many improvements have been made to address the current challenges with recruitment and retention - but there is more that needs to be done. I’m not sure if you are aware of the root cause. Try an independent 360 evaluation to get the true feedback you need to determine next steps. Have the courage to let go of what “has been” then make the recommended changes to recruit/retain the talent you need to grow.

"Inside Sales"

I worked at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only Pro is meeting some great people inside the office and the free yearly trip to FL. One year Puerto Rico was the destination. Company is also closed for 2 weeks around Christmas and New Year.

Cons

Worst company, no loyalty to their employees, bottom line is the ONLY thing they care about.

"Challenging yet Rewarding"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

Exposure to many different industries; strong work ethic among all employees; true teamwork environment. Opportunity for advancement if you put your time in as a newbie and work hard. Not a desk job.

Cons

Travel. But they tell you this up front and if you are willing to be on the road Sunday night through Thursday night (and experience different cities both large and small) it isn't so bad.

"Excellent and Challenging Place to Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional training with guided training while working with groups.
    Travel
    Everyone wants to see you succeed.

Cons

Hours vary from project to project.

"Rewarding and Challenging"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DB&A is a very unique work experience that stretches your abilities beyond a typical position. If you’ve ever managed others or want to, this position opens your eyes to leadership skills and the necessary mindset of effective leaders.
    The travel points are a nice perk as well as the company benefits.

Cons

It takes a little to adjust to the environment if you’re not used to it. The feedback is humbling (but necessary).

"Chief Dust & Fake Employees"

Former Employee - Senior Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Executive

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to retain your travel & hotel points. It was a great company when Lou DeWolff ran the show, unfortunately Lou passed away a number of years ago and handed the reigns of the company to the wrong person .

Cons

For some reason this company pretends to be something they are not. Website still shows employees that are no longer with the company nor involved in any aspect of the business. Clients need to be aware of "Chief Dust". This term is used by operational leaders to make financial deliverables look better than they actually are. Very sad state of affairs...they were close to a $59M company several years ago and revenue today might reach $15M in 2018. Why...leadership and their inability to motivate associates to work in the best interest of the client has gone away versus maintaining billing and financial guarantees (which is a joke, smoke in mirrors and not sustainable)

Advice to Management

The narcissistic leader needs to let go and move on. Stop boasting and priding yourself on your material possessions such as your house, Porsche's, money managers and start focusing on the things that really matter in life. Follow the "Golden Rule"...treat others as you would want to be treated. Hire someone from the outside that is willing to give an objective opinion of the company culture and why senior leadership (6-7 over the past two years) have left the company. It's you! Once you realize this, the company will be on its way to recovery

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet some great people
    The travel points
    I’m honestly having a hard time finding any Pros

Cons

This is the worst job I’ve ever had. The consultants are treated like garbage. They are told to change client status to fit the PM’s perception even when the consultant gives examples and provides valid reasoning. The culture is totally misogynistic and distrespectful to women. The attitudes and practices toward women - both clients and female consultants - is appalling and is actually grounds for an EEOC investigation. If you are a woman, run, don’t walk, away from this company.

Advice to Management

Come into the 21st century. Conduct meaningful exit interviews and quit lying to yourselves that everything is fine:

"Experiences at DB&A"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DB&A will take the skill sets you came into the company with, and challenge you to expand upon them. You will be given insight on how to take an established proven process (the Management Operating System) and apply it to meet the client’s needs. I personally have learned a great deal from the longer-tenured consultants, especially regarding strategic approaches to move the client. Another element that has helped, is the multiple ways to analyze data, then how to take the information and present it. Whatever graph or chart used, presenting it in a concise manner that screams, “This is a problem, do something about it” sets the tone for the client to own the fix, while they want to ask for your assistance in a permanent solution.

Often times, many of the employees at DB&A are offering their time to help the newer consultants with a variety of things that truly aid in the development of the people here. Each project team adopts a comradery and sense of unity to help each other and exceed the anticipated results. During our daily debriefs, each consultant speaks to their assigned area; the performance, the wins, the concerns, etc. This venue gives others on the team insight to how each cog relates to the wheel, and provides a chance for everyone to learn something, regardless of tenure. Team members are encouraged to provide honest and constructive feedback to each other, for a continuous learning environment.

To new-hires, I would recommend taking notes as often as possible because you will be learning a lot, be a sponge and absorb all that you are taught. This will help tremendously when you are applying that learning to the floor and ask, ask, ask questions of the senior staff; they will steer you in the right direction without necessarily giving away the answer. In those instances, you will come upon the answer on your own, and it will be more valuable to you that way. You will see in your clients, that ‘Ah-hah’ moment when they get it, when they see why managing their people is so important. You will look back to your own ‘Ah-hah’ moments and from both angles, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Hours vary by project, to do right by the client, the hours invested will likely require more than a typical 9-5.

DB&A Response

Jan 4, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.