DB&A Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens
Michael Owens

Pros
  • You will learn a lot in a very short amount of time (in 10 reviews)

• Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points (in 13 reviews)

• In addition, the project managers and team members have all been eager to help new staff in the field so you are never really on your own (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company To Work For!"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time. The work DB&A does is not easy, but it's extremely rewarding and humbling when you are able to see the impact it makes on the clients we work with. Being able to assist in changing the lives of individuals so that they can reach their full potential within their careers makes all the challenges worth while.

Cons

Some may see the extensive travel as a downfall, but if you view it as it being given the opportunity to visit new places and experience different industries a couple of times a year, then it won't be as much of a burden. DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points.

Advice to Management

Continue expanding on ways to invest in the talent within the company. Just in my short time with the company it is transparent that the company cares for their people, is passionate about potential and will do anything to make them successful.

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - International Performance Management Consultant in Imperial, MO

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Each assignment is unique and challenging. In 5 years you can gain 20 years experience. You have the opportunity to work within many industries and job environments. Job assignments overseas (voluntary) can take you to Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, or Canada. DBA offers you the opportunity it hone your management skills in many different corporate and cultural environments.

Cons

You fly out Sunday nights, return home Friday. Every attempt is made to give associates 48 hours home per weekend.

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you for your review. DB&A is a great organization to work for if you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career, cross-industry exposure and the opportunity to work with diversified ... More

3. "Smoke & Mirrors"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you value broad experiences, you get exposed to different types of companies in the manufacturing space.

Cons

Big talk, not deep, holistic, sustainable results. Process improvement without authentic leadership is futile. I didn't feel the systems were sustainable nor that DBA was concerned about the integrity of sustainable systems once we left the client. I felt embarrassed by the work we did, honestly.

Advice to Management

Think more broadly and deeply (on a human level, not merely manipulating numbers) about what it means to help organizations be successful.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time

Pros

Pay is better than its competitors of the same type of consulting. As with any of consulting career, you get to see many types of industries. You get to visit some very cool places but you'll hardly get time to enjoy any location unless you choose to spend your weekend there.

Most of the consultants and project managers are good and effective but there are certainly some bad apples. The HR Team is very good.

Cons

Where to start.... the company culture is awful and the senior management should be ashamed of the way they treat people and the culture they create for the projects. Senior management can be best described as having a draconian and authoritarian leadership style while the project managers spend too much time trying undo the emotional effects of these guys. The senior management is never wrong, even if data or common sense dictates otherwise.

The next biggest issue is the notion of feedback. They will tell you they are a company of feedback and that it is gift. Except they do not understand the difference between feedback and criticism. Feedback is meant to benefit the receiver of the feedback not the sender and that if it harsh, it should be applied strategically. This companies notion of feedback is to criticize at every opportunity warranted, at every opportunity to make the sender feel better about them self at the expense of the receiver, in front of their peers, in front of clients and at many times so heavy that they degrade the self esteem of their teams. This is prevalent at every level of the management team.

Much of this "feedback" comes as the management is shifting blame for what they should have done to making it their subordinate's fault. The management at this company does not understand that the buck stops with them. Senior Management hides and lies about the truth among themselves and they all know they do it. So rather than call each other out, they find the scapegoats from their projects.

The financial outlook looking forward is dismal which prompted layoffs recently. The last five years have seen sales drop year over year. Most everyone under the most senior leadership has been changed out while those most responsible are the ones still making the decisions.

Lastly, the company recruits passive candidates with jobs. They bring them in for orientation where some are let go right away while others are let go shortly after. This left many in worst positions than before they received a call from the company recruiter. Many people leave because of the "travel" but everyone who works there knows they just say that so they don't have to hassled when trying to leave during their exit interview.

Advice to Management

Create a vision the rest of the company can stand behind. Too many times has the phrase "this is how we are going to do things now" been uttered by the CEO. Know who you are as a company, what you provide and get everyone on board, even those who have been with the company 20 years.

The most senior management has been ineffective for the last couple of years, it is time to finally address the issue if you want to keep the company going for the next 5 years.

"An opportunity to expand"

Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Traveling the country/world to learn a new business almost every time. I've only experienced positives from every level. I've been on different types of assignments and have been treated with respect and have been taught and trained the ways of the operation.

Cons

Traveling can be a con as well as a pro, as it can be difficult to leave your family every week. However, it is known from the very beginning that this is a 100% travel job and you choose to accept it. DBA does attempt to ease that by allowing a guest to travel at the company's expense to any location and allows the employees to travel to different locations other than your home city.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the employee reviews and how they are scored on every level. Some of them may be able to afford some upgrading.

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Inside Sales: Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales: Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Lack of professionalism by Manager in treatment of representatives. No real strategy in reaching out to C-Suite executives. Cold call and push for the appointment. Next to impossible to make commissions.

"Brilliant Company and Phenomenal Professional Experience"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DB&A is a world-class consulting firm with a proven record of consistently saving millions for their clients. The experience I have gained in less than a year with DB&A has been unmatched by any previous employer or schooling (including earning my MBA). I was skeptical at first due to the travel requirements, but taking this chance has made all the difference in my career. I truly love my job. There are clear paths of upward mobility that are purely merit-based, just like the pay-scale. The better you perform, the more you are rewarded. Free health insurance and additional paid time off between projects are also major pros for me.

Cons

The recruitment team did an excellent job describing the demands of being a Management Consultant at DB&A. It requires long hours and a lot of time away from home, but if you enter with this mindset, there are no surprises. Everything I was told throughout the interview process has been 100% factual.

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you for your review. Many employees often share that DB&A provides the opportunity to gain 10-20 years of experience within just 5 years with our organization. We are glad to hear that the ... More

"I Love My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am truly blessed to work for a company that cares so much about their employees. The work I do although it;s not easy it's easy coming to work. The hours are great. The pay even better. The company provides my insurance and the vacation and PTO is awesome. We are a very good example of the word TEAM because we all work closely together and count on each other everyday. I'm very excited to see what 2017 brings. I have been fortunate to work for some very good companies but I have to say this is bar none the best ever.

Cons

The true testament of how good the company is I have nothing bad to say.

"A Company That Really Cares"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do care about their employees. Some companies will say that but I have witnessed first hand that this company truly cares.

Cons

There is not any room for advancement in the position I am in. Most all other positions at the company have a program for advancement.

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for your review.

"Overall Good Company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Frisco, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great on the job learning. You will be exposed to lots of different industries, and will be given an opportunity to move up in the company if you put in the work.

Cons

The travel can be brutal. The Sunday to Friday schedule really sucks, because many times they do no like to cut you any slack no matter how far away the location is - which can be a burden sometimes. Some of the "old time" upper management are stuck in their old ways, and still focused on the "beat 'em up" approach versus "coach and train" approach.

Advice to Management

A Monday to Friday, or Sunday to Thursday evening schedule would go a long way in improving work / personal life balance. Got to weed out the "old time" mgmt. that is stuck in their same paradigm.