DB&A Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens
Michael Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will learn a lot in a very short amount of time" (in 11 reviews)

• "The ability to experience numerous different industries in a relative small amount of time" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points" (in 14 reviews)

• "Additionally, project managers do not personally value the principles of the leadership and development of their staff" (in 17 reviews)

"Rewarding Career Path"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for DB&A as a consultant is very rewarding if you are willing to get actively engaged in your own development as well as the development of your co-workers and clients.

I worked here many years ago when there was a tolerance for a more autocratic tone and a sink or swim culture like many other institutions had years ago. Workplaces overall have evolved from this mentality, but DB&A especially.

Coming back as a Sr. Consultant and acting PM, after a 7 year hiatus, has afforded me the opportunity to join in some of the management meetings even though I have not yet been officially promoted to a PM. I can tell you there is tremendous effort and care at the Project Manager level and above (all the way up to the CEO) to ensure internal development is a priority. The company is growing fast, so there is a need for the company to have consultants come on board and excel to higher levels. But, there is just as much care being had to ensure that we are not moving folks up to higher responsibilities that would jeopardize the results and experience for the clients, as well as the individuals and their peers.

If you are a leader, with a good work ethic, insatiable desire to keep learning, and sharing with others DB&A will be hard to replace when it comes to rewards. The new pay scale is very competitive, the benefits are above average and excellent for this industry, the hours are demanding but no different than any other senior management role, the people are fantastic, and most rewarding is the access to so many leaders and companies that we get to help make a real difference in their lives and careers.

Cons

The role as a consultant is very different from many traditional roles that new hires come from, and the changes can seem jarring for some folks just coming on board. If you are not currently in the consulting field, just know that this career will be extremely rewarding as you will be guiding leaders and their companies through major improvements and progress in one way or another at all times so the level of contribution you can have is unmatched. But the immediate lifestyle changes that you will encounter on the front end of this transition will naturally take a few months to adjust to it. You cannot be too hard on yourself. Some folks frame these changes as exciting and rewarding, while others frame them in a way that convinces them to go back to a more traditional and less rewarding role. Obviously you will have to decide what is right for you.

Advice to Management

Stay on the path that you are. Continue to invest in our own company as much as we do so many others, and trust that your leadership is reaching the front-lines. The conscious efforts we are making to invest and develop in our staff is already having large scale positive impacts, and I believe raising our contribution to our clients as well. I look forward to many years of growth and opportunity ahead of us!

2. "Fast paced learning environment"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will get a chance to experience multiple industries and learn more in a year than most do in their careers.
    Great sense of accomplishment when you see the changes you are able to help your clients make.
    Fast paced learning environment with room to grow based on your abilities. The culture is very challenging with feedback continuously provided. This may be difficult for some, but for anyone that has worked in a business where feedback is rarely given and provided at an annual or semi-annual review in such a way that it is a surprise, you'll find this culture refreshing. If you're open to the feedback, the level of professional growth based on this culture is unmatched in any business or industry you will find.
    You keep 100% of your airline miles, rental car points and hotel points.
    You're still paid at 100% with benefits for time not assigned to a project or analysis - this is not something many of the competitors offer.

Cons

The 100% travel can be difficult. It is best to find a routine that works for you and having a good personal support network is almost a must for finding success in this career.
    Hours can be long, but many in management look for ways to shorten these based on quality of work.
    Individuals not open to feedback or not ready for a fast paced environment will struggle. Be honest with yourself before you join.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on developing strong projects from the start. The project results over the past year are proof of concept.
    Facial hair policy should change as the march continues into the next generation and the workforce gets younger. Just be sure to set some guidelines around it to keep it professional.

"DISAGREE with all the negative reviews about DB&A - changes have been made that negate most prior concerns"

Current Employee - Vice President, Regional Sales Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President, Regional Sales Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Direct & Constructive Feedback - aimed at improving employee effectiveness; Treated Tough but FAIRLY; OPPORTUNITY to advance quickly IF you excel; ability to learn from SMART PEOPLE; exposure to different industries and companies

Cons

travel (typical of management consulting, so not necessarily a con); long hours - but this is communicated to new hires, so any issues they'd have come from not properly estimating how they'd be affected by the new work-life balance

Advice to Management

Continue the Rigorous Orientation process - it will help new hires adjust to the travel/consulting lifestyle/hours, and will help them decide if it's a good fit quickly.

4. "Continuous Learning & Development"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

If you are self-aware and willing to work hard, deliver, and focus on continuous learning and development then DB&A is the place for you. In my first year at DB&A, I was exposed to a multitude of industries that provided "real world" experiences that have sharpened my professional skill set, and continue to do so.

Based on my experience with the company, if you are proactive and are focused on delivering the best solutions for your clients then you will be rewarded with challenging and fulfilling work. In my 15 years of professional experience, I have seen that this is not always the case with other management consulting firms. These diverse professional experiences make a big difference to me when it comes to career satisfaction.

Additionally, you will be surrounded by professional and hard-working colleagues that inspire you daily. DB&A employees provide varying professional backgrounds and skill sets, and you will gain a great deal of knowledge and appreciation from working with people that come from such diverse settings.

Lastly, travel points (air, hotel, etc.) are yours, which is nice for when you want to go on family vacations or any form of personal travel.

Cons

If you don't like being challenged continuously and consistently then DB&A is not the place for you. Daily hours are long, but that is not unusual and is considered the standard in management consulting to do right for the client. Also, 100% travel literally means "100% travel".

The above listed items are typical expectations in the management consulting industry and are not necessarily cons for me, but they can be considered cons for those not familiar or accustomed to the industry.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the clear communication and direction from leadership. Feedback can be humbling which is good as it promotes continuous learning, especially in the management consulting industry.

"For those wanting continued professional growth and industry exposure"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Your own personal development and growth will always be ongoing
    -Clear promotion path and expectations at each level
    -Keep the travel perks/points
    -Exposure to various industries and departments and levels of management

Cons

-long hours
    -100% travel (do not do this unless you think you can really handle 100%)
    -must be completely clean shaven (except for moustache)

Advice to Management

-modify or get rid of the no beard policy

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, training and company culture. Fully engaged management who really care about their employees. Family like atmosphere. Great pay and benefits. My experience here at DB&A has been quite impressive. It is a pleasant change of pace for me. I look forward to staying with this company.

Cons

None that i have seen.

7. "Great entry way into Consulting"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DB&A is a fast paced work environment where consultants can expect to be professionally challenged on a daily basis, which provides an excellent opportunity for professional growth for those who are able to tolerate the cons, some of which are listed below. With that said, DB&A is a great way to get your foot into the door of consulting but my advice is to keep your professional options open at all times if you choose to embark on the DBA endeveor.

Cons

The DB&A culture is very dog-eat-dog in general. As new consultants are brought on to projects, they're often left to figure out where they fit into the equation which can make it a significant but unecessary challenge to "learn the ropes". Additionally, project managers do not personally value the principles of the leadership and development of their staff. There is an entire checklist-style developmental aparatus in place that project managers are able to pencil whip through without actually being held accountable for their level or employee engagement or lack thereof. Furthermore, there is a bit of hazing culture where consultants are seemingly given the least amount of information possible and expected to deliver results which often times leads to retroactive verbal assaults instead of proactive and engaged guidance and direction. Additionally, the golden rule of treating others how one expects to be treated is not an emphasis during interactions which often times leads to project managers berating and belittling those who will tolerate that behavior. The bottom line is that the majority of the project managers do not value the consultants that they they are tasked to lead.

Additionally, DB&A does not internally practice what it preaches from a management operating system perspective. The skill flex is not emphasized which makes each consultants individual professional experience a non-factor instead of a point for leverage within the project. Clear agendas during internal meetings can be a challenge which leads to the consultants being on different pages during the project. Project scheduling is a significant challenge which makes it difficult for consultants to plan out personal time towards the latter part of projects.

Advice to Management

The management team must find a more effective way of truly focusing on the professional development and treatment of of its staff. The travel requirements are clearly and continuously articulated throughout the entire hiring and orientation process; however, the turnover is still a major problem. Do the math, it's the culture...

"DB&A is a great place for career minded individuals"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome growth opportunity
    -Strong personal development
    -Work with smart people
    -Opportunity to work in multiple industries
    -Internal process that will set you up for success at every job you work during the rest of your career
    -Transparent
    -Current leadership is strong
    -Strong orientation training
    -Strong company culture

Cons

-For those who do not like travel, it would be the travel (Sunday night through Friday afternoon) - this is not a surprise for consulting

Advice to Management

-Continue the strong development
    -Continue to invest in employees

9. "Terrible don’t do it"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

None it sucked a lot

Cons

Everything was terrible for me

10. "Interesting Dynamics Appear To Be At Work"

I worked at DB&A full-time

Pros

Obviously they have found some people with less than a year to wear the rose colored glasses. It will be interesting to see if these positive outlooks on the company's financial health are coming from the front lines or the ones that work in the Dallas Office.

Cons

Why does there seem to be a huge gap between what these less than one year of tenure people think and what the longer term people are posting? Seems to be a very large gap in perceptions. Experienced leaders continue to exit the company with little vision as to why they left, the response is to dip down into a pool of people that are left and promote them to keep the status quo.

Advice to Management

Terminate the relationship with the CEO and look for more professional leadership that will allow a realistic vision for a path to future growth...Emos is not it people!! Oh wait I forgot the name was changed, doesn't matter it is still not going to bring in additional business.