DB&A Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens
Michael Owens

Pros
  • You will learn a lot in a very short amount of time (in 10 reviews)

• Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points (in 13 reviews)

• In addition, the project managers and team members have all been eager to help new staff in the field so you are never really on your own (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company To Work For!"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time. The work DB&A does is not easy, but it's extremely rewarding and humbling when you are able to see the impact it makes on the clients we work with. Being able to assist in changing the lives of individuals so that they can reach their full potential within their careers makes all the challenges worth while.

Cons

Some may see the extensive travel as a downfall, but if you view it as it being given the opportunity to visit new places and experience different industries a couple of times a year, then it won't be as much of a burden. DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points.

Advice to Management

Continue expanding on ways to invest in the talent within the company. Just in my short time with the company it is transparent that the company cares for their people, is passionate about potential and will do anything to make them successful.

DB&A Response

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

"Nothing but stellar"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the orientation at home office to the teams at two projects, I have gained important knowledge and am learning our tools and methodology from their collective experiences. Also, it has been made very clear to me, both through individual communication and our recent annual meeting, that I am an important member of the DBA Family.

Cons

If you don't like to travel, have constant interaction with people or work well in a team environment, this may not be for you.

Advice to Management

The teams I have worked on thus far have been both knowledgeable and helpful in my continued personal growth.

"Great company to work for that rewards based on your development"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will gain experience in a wide range of industries working with clients ranging from front line Supervisors all the way up to the C Suite. Emphasis is placed on developing your consulting skills and have not met anyone now willing to help. Company leadership is aligned with the consistent goal of delivering high value to clients. Great teamwork on projects helps develop new employees at rapid pace.

Cons

You must be willing and able to travel for 50 weeks per year leaving on Sundays and coming home on Fridays. The company is committed to providing at least 48 hours at home on weekends and you must be comfortable with this lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Continue with current Consultant development process.

"Take it from a newly hired professional."

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I read the reviews before I started and I can say I was concerned, but I can tell you this company is serious about what they do. I get tons of exposure and opportunities to learn. My project manager is very supportive. My teammates are helpful and make the enviornment worth returning to week after week. I was impressed by the CEO visiting us on our first week, it is rare to have candid and personal conversations with someone who runs the company.

Cons

This is consulting, the company is honest about the needs of the position. I was told you will travel Sunday night through Friday, that's just the job. It's a challenge, but I love it. You need to be a go getter, this job requires energy and a sense of urgency. You also have to confront managers about their behaviors, that can be difficult. The con would be your attitude, this job is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Keep the changes going....I feel the support and the training modules are helpful. I like that people care about me. The staff at corporate and the management team are always making sure I have ewhat I need and that feels good. I know the changes are happening fast because the people who have been here for a while tell a different story about the "old DB&A". I have not seen anything that would make me cringe or feel uncomfortable. In fact so much has been done to make me feel at home; I don't see anything but a great future here.

"Great Opportunity for the Right Person"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment for overachievers and those looking to challenge / develop themselves. Excellent opportunity for exposure to various industries and business cultures. You will learn more here in one year as a consultant than you will in 4 years of business school. Two different career paths, one towards management, the other as a career consultant.

Cons

Travel and work/life balance (due to travel)

Advice to Management

Disregard "noise" by one or two disgruntled ex employees who post here as current employees. Keep up the improvements.

"johns good"

Pros

good company i think ha years

Cons

great way to do business

"Expectations are high, but your work is valued"

Current Employee - Corporate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management focuses on performance and results rather than micromanaging, so I feel like I have more ownership over the projects I'm working on. From the top down, I get the feeling managers expect just as much from themselves and others.

Cons

Because the company is decentralized, communication can be a challenge when people are working from different locations.

"Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Senior Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Management Consultant

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's great to be able to say you made a difference in the lives of people and the companies you consult with and at DB&A you can. Daily interactions with people from the front lines to the CEO enables you to see how your coaching and mentoring benefits people and how they manage. Your involved in every aspect of the project and there are no sacred cows. If there is an opportunity, it's identified, discussed, and evaluated for action. At the end of the day you see the results both in behaviors and on the bottom line. You don't get locked into a single industry, you get the opportunity grow and become a versatile professional, learning multiple functional areas and industries. Not to mention visiting exciting places and having to opportunity to say "I know how they do that"!

Cons

Being a road warrior is tough, but it's all about establishing a routine and making time for family and friends when your home and away. With video technology you can help with homework for a child, watch a school performance, or just say goodnight when traveling.

"A great career opportunity for those motivated to succeed."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

The best part of working here is being able to make a difference. Where else can you have direct access to the management of high profile clients and have the ability to positively influence their business? Your development, progression and compensation is largely in your control. The company is continuing to invest in its infrastructure, training and support to those in the field.

Cons

The travel can get to you if you aren't fully committed. Make sure you have everything at home squared away. Its not a great fit for those who are content to sit on the sidelines.

Advice to Management

Continue to push responsibility down in the organization...we thrive on it.

"Hard but rewarding work"

Current Employee - Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Management Consultant

Pros

Very fast paced intense work that stays interesting and changes frequently. There is a lot of support with development from management and coworkers. Promotions are based on your skill, not tenure. Upper management works very hard to make it feel like a "family".

Cons

As everyone says, the travel is very difficult for you and your family. Work days average about 12 hours.