DB&A Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens
Michael Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will learn a lot in a very short amount of time (in 10 reviews)

• Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points (in 13 reviews)

• In addition, the project managers and team members have all been eager to help new staff in the field so you are never really on your own (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company To Work For!"

I have been working at DB&A full-time

Pros

Working for DB&A provides you the opportunity to learn a ton about yourself personally, and expand professionally in just a short amount of time. The work DB&A does is not easy, but it's extremely rewarding and humbling when you are able to see the impact it makes on the clients we work with. Being able to assist in changing the lives of individuals so that they can reach their full potential within their careers makes all the challenges worth while.

Cons

Some may see the extensive travel as a downfall, but if you view it as it being given the opportunity to visit new places and experience different industries a couple of times a year, then it won't be as much of a burden. DB&A does a good job of promoting a work-life balance by assisting with companion travel and keeping all travel points.

Advice to Management

Continue expanding on ways to invest in the talent within the company. Just in my short time with the company it is transparent that the company cares for their people, is passionate about potential and will do anything to make them successful.

DB&A Response

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

"A very dismal state of affairs."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

That despite themselves they are still in business, barely......

Cons

The idea, objective and mission all add up to helping assist companies achieve their financial and cultural goals. But in my opinion you cannot and never will achieve this when you cannot get your own house in order.

Advice to Management

Probably the smartest thing to do is exercise the top down approach of management and replace them all.

"Why not just turn out the lights and close the door?"

Former Employee - Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sadly there are no pros.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to explain nor would I waste my time.
    Poor management at every level. The only and main concern is collecting the cash and NOT the client.

Advice to Management

Shutting it down may actually be a good idea if you are not going to change management and this includes everyone in management.

4. "Experiences at DB&A"

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DB&A will take the skill sets you came into the company with, and challenge you to expand upon them. You will be given insight on how to take an established proven process (the Management Operating System) and apply it to meet the client’s needs. I personally have learned a great deal from the longer-tenured consultants, especially regarding strategic approaches to move the client. Another element that has helped, is the multiple ways to analyze data, then how to take the information and present it. Whatever graph or chart used, presenting it in a concise manner that screams, “This is a problem, do something about it” sets the tone for the client to own the fix, while they want to ask for your assistance in a permanent solution.

Often times, many of the employees at DB&A are offering their time to help the newer consultants with a variety of things that truly aid in the development of the people here. Each project team adopts a comradery and sense of unity to help each other and exceed the anticipated results. During our daily debriefs, each consultant speaks to their assigned area; the performance, the wins, the concerns, etc. This venue gives others on the team insight to how each cog relates to the wheel, and provides a chance for everyone to learn something, regardless of tenure. Team members are encouraged to provide honest and constructive feedback to each other, for a continuous learning environment.

To new-hires, I would recommend taking notes as often as possible because you will be learning a lot, be a sponge and absorb all that you are taught. This will help tremendously when you are applying that learning to the floor and ask, ask, ask questions of the senior staff; they will steer you in the right direction without necessarily giving away the answer. In those instances, you will come upon the answer on your own, and it will be more valuable to you that way. You will see in your clients, that ‘Ah-hah’ moment when they get it, when they see why managing their people is so important. You will look back to your own ‘Ah-hah’ moments and from both angles, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Hours vary by project, to do right by the client, the hours invested will likely require more than a typical 9-5.

"Toxic Leadership"

Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn how to travel on the cheap!

Cons

I thought I was joining a very professional and ethically sound organization as that is what I saw initially after being hired. What I have seen since orientations has been chaos, fear filled days and tension filled nights as nobody that had been around very long had a good outlook due to the severe financial depression that was being experienced. Nothing that I learned in orientation is used in the field, all that we are expected to do is anything and everything so that our numbers look good…at any cost! Supposed leaders within DBA are either running and hiding from the daily verbal abuse or openly hostile toward the company as they appear to feel misled and unappreciated by the upper tier leaders. There is much back channel conversations taking place within DBA at all levels of tenure and positions on developing an exit strategy as they do not feel positive about their future. I quit a decent job to come to this nightmare, if I had it all over to do again I would have not made this move as I am afraid that I will be unemployed fairly soon.

Advice to Management

Somebody that is not a profane martinet needs to take over the reigns of this company. There are some very intelligent and qualified people within the organization, sadly they are not at a level to make changes.

"Road Warrior"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got reimbursed for everything you needed to buy. This allows you to use your own credit card and maximize your points.

Cons

There was little to no training on how to be a consultant. If you are unwilling to go overseas you maybe let go if there is no work stateside.

Advice to Management

Create a clear plan as to what is expected of an employee. Just do it or just make things work isn't the best for growing employees.

7. "Rewarding yet Challenging"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for DBA provides opportunities to test yourself in the way you communicated and help others develop. The possibilities on gaining knowledge on process improvement endless, and how to communicate the importance of process improvement to others. It's not easy; but, when you begin the path of developing yourself so that you can develop others, the challenges become rewarding.

Cons

Travel is 100%, and sometimes it's difficult being away from your family, but I do know that my family is living well.

Advice to Management

Develop your people in the way that will help foster continuous, perpetual improvement of the success of the company.

"Management consultant"

Former Employee - Management Consultant
    Former Employee - Management Consultant

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ha. Good luck finding any.

Cons

Travel isn't even the worst part except you will be delayed, rerouted, and cancelled. None of which is the company's control, but you will be subjected to shoddy hotels and reprimanded for not getting a crappy car. They say that they have the employees best interest. Load of crap. Hr, management, and the long term employees will put on a show, but totally leave you high and dry. No official training, no feedback, and they will pile the work on you and expect you to know what you're doing from day 1.

Advice to Management

I highly advise to be more transparent. Actually practice what you preach. Their inundated business model does not work. They are blind to their own feedback. Whatever they think works is the only way. No point in actually having employees other than just to have everything roll down to.

"Smoke & Mirrors"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you value broad experiences, you get exposed to different types of companies in the manufacturing space.

Cons

Big talk, not deep, holistic, sustainable results. Process improvement without authentic leadership is futile. I didn't feel the systems were sustainable nor that DBA was concerned about the integrity of sustainable systems once we left the client. I felt embarrassed by the work we did, honestly.

Advice to Management

Think more broadly and deeply (on a human level, not merely manipulating numbers) about what it means to help organizations be successful.

"Road Warrior"

I worked at DB&A full-time

Pros

Travel to see the world

Cons

Less than 48 hrs a week to spend with family