DCL Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Norman Tu

1. "Great company"

Pros

+ job stability, great upper management team

Cons

- compensation, lack of training

2. "Changes are in the making and they are for the good."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- President has become more down to earth. He has become more likable. He now greets his employees when doing his walkthroughs. He has gained my respect.
    - Structured Procedures, Director of Quality is Awesome, Very knowledgeable, shares his knowledge, does not micro manage, a little strict but very likable.
    - VP, Finally someone who cares about the company AND the employees. He values what people say and usually acts on it. He works with you not against you
    - Middle management works hard, very much knowledge about the company and the way it works

Cons

- Sorry, but Salary is a biggest concern. I understand the need to keeps costs down. But many are underpaid for what they do yet some are overpaid. What good is getting a good review yet no fair compensation. Newer employees are getting paid more than the more seasoned employees.
    - There used to be internal job postings and anyone who felt they were qualified were able to apply. Seems that now people are just chosen because they are liked and not really qualified for the positions they are put into
    - Lunchroom is a disaster. It is not really cleaned. Janitorial Staff just barely does the minimum amount of cleaning. I understand that the employees are also at fault, but the janitorial staff needs to be given more direction and leadership on what needs to be done
    - More choices need to be done on the vending machines. Employees don't have time to go out and get food.

Advice to Management

Continue to appreciate your employees. There is so much knowledge in them. They will be much more willing to work for you.

3. "Full Time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ flexible hours
    + DCL takes care of you
    + coworkers eager to help guide & train you
    + recent overturn in management. Management is now more knowledgeable & easier to work with

Cons

- challenging industry, especially if you do not have transportation experience
    - outdated systems

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart, knowledgeable employees who aren't afraid to work or be challenged

5. "DCL Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy and casual environment, the people here are generally agreeable and there is a good work life balance for most employees.

Cons

The management is very demanding and tend to want to argue and point out issues without actually solving problems. There is very little room for growth in this company and getting a pay raise can be very difficult. They hire a lot of temps and don't pay them enough, and then complain when the work isn't good enough. Account managers are paid almost nothing for the huge workload they have.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more to get a higher quality of work

"Horrible place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time

Pros

You get paid on time.

Cons

Place is crawling with roaches and unsafe conditions. Management has no idea that they are even managers, nor do they even communicate with their staff. President is involved with everything, holds processes up and controls what everyone is doing. Not competitive with wages or benefits. They treat people as if they should be happy that they have a job. Over half of the employees are barely qualified to drive a vehicle, let alone work as a team in a supposedly 'growing business'. Anyone who is slightly competent is actively looking for work elsewhere. They have very old norms and no interest in changing them to be competitive with the market. Stay away at all costs.

Advice to Management

No advice to them as they cannot change anything anyways.

"Sr vp & director positions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best pro anyone out there will have is to steer clear of this company. Owners don't trust, micromanage, make all decisions for you. One owner claims to be the smartest man in the industry but yet he owns and operates a system that is over 30 days old. When asked about FIFO, he thought it was the great giant talking. Ridiculous.

Cons

Owners won't work with you, IT thinks they have the best system in the world and they don't think modernizing is important, middle management is a bi-product of very poor leadership at the top. Staff members operate out of fear and paranoia. HR refuses to address this issue.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of your dark hole, shut up and just listen. Do NOTHING. No one wants your help anyway.

8. "consistent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I worked at DCL (More than a year)

Pros

company is in it for the long haul. no gimmicks, games, or pretense. just head down, hard work. very interesting customer base, fair technology, and some pretty smart people to work with. they try hard to be fair, and provide a healthy and safe work environment.

Cons

its a tough industry with big players, with better technology, higher salaries (and therefore higher skilled staffs). family owned, so opportunity to impact strategy is limited (but understood). very high value on outdated norms - i.e.. long work hours, face time, subordination.

Advice to Management

keep making money. share more with the team. lighten up on the policy and old fashioned leadership. lot's of great companies perform at very high levels without the old school structures.

9. "Major Issues- that start with upper management"

I worked at DCL part-time

Pros

Learned a lot about freight and some of the people i work with are some of the greatest. The environment is usually alright, until the tyrant owners come to check in on everyone. Overall there are no pros at all working for this company. The employees are mistreated.

Cons

- Structure your company better. Employees are underpaid for the amount of stress and work they have to put up with.
    - Also, work on controlling turnover. With so much turnover, everything is constantly in shambles and processes are lost through the constant revolving door of contractors. Pretty much everyone is a contractor, and they will treat you like dirt because of it.
    - They have eavesdropping devices in the break room, which seems pretty sketchy to me, not to mention illegal.
    - People are not allowed water or any drink while working, which would be fine, but the temperature during the summer months get pretty hot (95-100 degrees) and they have the thermostat set at 85 degrees in each room. It's hard to be in that hot of a room doing work, while not having any hydration or fan/any type of airflow.
    - There are huge cockroaches everywhere, and dead ones are just lying around all over the place. - They have holes in the ceiling, and it looks like the second floor could cave in at any second.
    - Overall, would not recommend. Health and Safety needs to pay this company a visit ASAP.

Advice to Management

My advice would be take anger management classes. Also, learning how to treat human beings would be a nice step in the right direction. Take suggestions from your workers, because a lot of them are smart and have great ideas in improving some of the processes. They should add some type of social events as well.

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Resources Administrator

Thank you for giving us feedback on your experience at DCL and we are sorry to hear that you did not have an agreeable experience while you were here. In regards to a couple of your comments, we ... More

10. "Concerns"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Fremont, CA

I have been working at DCL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DCL is a good place to prepare you for a real company if you decide to leave . I've worked here for over 16 years and have seen many changes. I'm to old to go find another job so I've decided to stick it out. They train well and make sure all procedures are followed. When I first started the management was excellent the then President was a person you wanted to mentor you. I've learned alot from him. He has since turned over the company to his nephew. This is where the CONS begin. Overall DCL Is a good place to work.

Cons

I am not one of the favorites in the company so I try to stay under the radar and just do my job. About a year and 1/2 ago the company shifted directions. We got a Senior VP who made alot of meaningless changes and got rid of alot of people who had been with the company for many years. He was a sneak and I know he set up people for failure. His ideas just did not fit the DCL culture. He made a mess of the company and then resigned. Bad guy.
    DCL is a low paying company compared to the Industry standards. They do not give yearly raises or cost of living increases. Let me rephrase that, If you are one of the chosen ones you'll get an increase. I don't blame the directors they are just lap dogs to the owners. They really don't have any power in the company.
    DCL is not a Facebook or a Google. It is a family owned company so big company ideas may not work out here.
    We need a SEASONED president to get this company to go forward.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a chance to shine on their own. Take their suggestions. Don't be tyrants.

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Resources Administrator

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your time at DCL. Our labor rates are competitive in the industry and we acknowledge and reward outstanding and exemplary performances.

11. "Poor Work Environment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at DCL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the employees who worked there. Learned a lot about freight and fulfillment that I did not have prior experience in.

Cons

Upper management and ownership are extremely paranoid people to work for. Need to worry more about keeping employees happy as well as customers. Staff is very underpaid and overworked for what they are expected to do.

Advice to Management

Ownership: Stop the paranoid tendencies. Pay your employees and keep the customers happy. Do more social events as well.

Jul 10, 2015 – Human Resources Administrator

A number of our positions are entry level and corresponding would be entry level salaries. We believe these salaries are industry standard for the area. DCL takes pride in the fact that over 30% of ... More