DDN Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
DDN Storage Co-Founder & CEO Alex Bouzari
Alex Bouzari

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "DDN is surrounded by great people, flexible work schedules are a plus, and the technology is on of its kind" (in 10 reviews)

• "Great team of hard working, very talented and extremely helpful individuals" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper Management does not what is hapenning internationally" (in 6 reviews)

• "C level suite and Owners do what is right for them not what is right for the company or the people working at DDN" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Just Saying..."

Current Employee - Sales in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DDN has a great group of talented employees, dedicated to contributing to the success of the Company. The technology is cutting edge and constantly changing. If you are looking for a place to grow, this is definitely the place. You will be stretched both personally and professionally.

Cons

It is unfortunate that there is a segment of the employees who are not happy who chose to go on Glassdoor and other social media to harm the Company with a very tainted and bitter perspectives of things. Not sure if these folks realize that they harm other colleagues who are trying very hard to make things better. Your experience is not everyone else so don't go on and communicate your sentiments as if they are for all the employees.

Like all companies, there are sour grapes and always a reason why they prefer to write rather than communicate the "truth" internally and do something actionable about it. Ask yourself the question, what have you done about it before going and posting negative comments. You are as much at fault as those who you blamed if you don't take the necessary actions to improve things yourself.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Continue to strive better to promote best practices programs and initiatives for them. This will go far in attracting and retaining talent.

Mar 1, 2018

Thank you for your balanced perspectives. It is encouraging that we continue to hear from our employees, both past and present. This social media platform is one of the avenues of communications... More

"Fun Fast Paced Environment"

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company with cool technology. There is always interesting things happening here that you can get involved in.

Benefits are good, and hard work is generally rewarded here.

Cons

Company revenue has it's ups and downs, from quarter to quarter.

Mar 1, 2018

We take pride in the products which we offer our customers. Our technology is cutting-edge which challenges the team to engage in interesting projects. Our unique culture works towards a... More

3. "Good engineers but questionable management"

I worked at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

Engineering work environment was fun. Everyone was really nice.

Cons

Healthcare benefits kept getting worse with each passing year.

4. "Technical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DDN is a great core unit when done right. Departments like mine where we all communicate and get along and not micromanage the hell out of people just helps for a healthy environment.
    The longer you are here the more like FAMILY it becomes.
    Benefits are awesome
    Management cares they understand we are people and have lives outside of here.
    Alot of Respect is shown.

Cons

Like every company there's issues,
    Here the turnover rate was high at times but as of late we have been steady and moving forward and higher.
    Their are at times to many chefs in the kitchen causing disruption but with the team building sessions are very powerful, I see very many improvements.

Advice to Management

Not my place to say but If i were asked to change things,
    It would just be to keep morale high, cut the micromanaging.

5. "Failure Analysis Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary OK, Good benefits (health insurance)

Cons

Micro management, kill creations of employees

6. "cool tech and great co-workers"

I worked at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

travel, solve some really cool customer problems.

Cons

lack of vision and direction.

"Poor culture limits career growth. Know what your getting yourself into"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of remote positions
    - Company owned entirely by two owners: This can be and is also a con, but the pro is that DDN is not like many of its large competitors that leverage outside investors and debt to grow, rather they maintain a constant profit and have for over 20 years. The owners are great business men in this regard and know how to make a profit. Why you should care is because the company culture is driven by this business model and the owners’ management style, and it can affect your career growth and happiness even at the bottom of the ladder.
    - Work with bleeding-edge tech
    - Dynamic work and always changing. Easier to make changes than large companies

Cons

- Review from the perspective of a Service/Pre-Sales employee. Sales side of the company may be completely different because thats what the company values most.

Very sales and engineering driven company, every other org comes second. Probably normal for a privately owned company, but consider this if working non-sales/eng. Con about two owners is that they micromanage upper management. This makes Upper/Middle management either 1) Leave - there is a high turnover of Eng Managers/PM/Directors/C-Level positions. 2) Stay and just keep the owners/your manager happy, keep the status quo, and accept the limited freedom to A) do your job how you’d like and 2) to hire who you’d like.

This culture trickles down to the bottom. The high turn-over culture makes you feels like your always replaceable and every man for himself. Very reactive culture, fighting fire-to-fire, sale-to-sale.

- Due to being for profit/privately owned, company growth drives everyone’s career grown (promotions, raises, salary adjustments). Unfortunately sales growth has been flat for several years and therefore so has the average employee’s career growth. Meaning, going above-and-beyond is not rewarded, yearly raises/bonuses are below 3% (or sometimes cancelled all-together), promotions are few and far between (and typically only for middle to upper management (when someone leaves), training programs have diminished. Yearly performance reviews have removed the self-assessment, meaning HR no longer cares to record your yearly accomplishments or how you met your prior year’s goals - only your manager’s perspective of your accomplishments is recorded.

Since these are career growth killers (what most care about), I’d look elsewhere if you are an ambitious high performer looking for growth. But if you're looking to just maintain a salary and work from home, but don’t really care about growth (those near retirement), you may be happy here.

Advice to Management

Company growth is being affected by the culture you emanate. Focus on the poor culture and lack of employee career-growth, which is causing high-turnover of ambitious employees (which if were retained would make you more money over the long run than any Sales win).

"Chatsworth Employee"

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

My DDN Storage experience has recently began. The process from recruitment to coming on board was professionally conducted. If this is any indication of what my DDN Storage journey will be, I am excited and optimistic.

Cons

None as of yet.

Advice to Management

You have a great group of folks.

"Chatsworth Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many that I can really remember.

Cons

* C level suite and Owners do what is right for them not what is right for the company or the people working at DDN. They get their bonuses and whatever is left is given out to employee's which is not a lot. 1 of the owner is extremely into micro-managing all the way down into the trenches that it has become a joke among employee's.
    * My team really did not want improve and when guided to improve ignored request. When tried to perform corrective action was blocked by Sr. Management and HR. HR even coddled them when they felt hurt that they had been asked to do work properly. It was a total joke.
    * HR sticks it nose into areas that traditional HR doesn't belong. They definitely operate by favoritism. They got rid of experience HR people and kept their favorites who have very little HR experience.
    * HR has asked employees to give favorable glass door feedback because they saw how bad things were.

Advice to Management

* Get out of the way and sell the Company to people who know how to run a company. Now that I'm away from DDN and have talked to others in the industry they indicate DDN Management is a joke and that is reason they wouldn't buy the product. They don't trust the longevity of the company. It is really unfortunate because there are a bunch of bright people at DDN who want to accomplish great things.

Mar 1, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. DDN is not unlike other entrepreneurial environments, which is to be a profitable and thriving business. Communication is a key part of our continued success, and we... More

10. "Small business feel in a big business world"

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small business atmosphere, friendly workplace

Cons

Could be a little more competitive w/ wages to bring to bring in more talent and inspire the want for advancement from those already there

Advice to Management

Work on more competitive wages