DDN Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
DDN Storage Co-Founder & CEO Alex Bouzari
Alex Bouzari

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • DDN is surrounded by great people, flexible work schedules are a plus, and the technology is on of its kind (in 11 reviews)

• Our Manufacturing team is a hard working group that can't be beat (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Wasn't there a review just before that stating "By-and-large there is not a sense that upper management is on your side" Found in 3 reviews (in 4 reviews)

• executive management don't care about their employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"New Hire at DDN"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been with DDN for approximately 3 months, and those first 2 months were spent as a contractor for the company. I come from a contracting background, working for various clients over the course of my 7 years in the IT field, and I've come to expect a certain treatment as a contractor. It is perfectly understandable that you would be treated with a certain amount of respect as a contractor, but would for obvious reasons not be looked at as a "member of the family" so to speak. I have come to expect this treatment from the various companies I worked with over the years, and as long as I got my assigned tasks completed, it was okay with me.

But from the first day of working with DDN, I realized that they were not going to conform to the "standard" treatment of contractors. I was shocked at how welcome they made me feel within their organization. I was actually a member of a team for the first time in a long time, and not just an outsider they assign work to. This rare treatment even encouraged me to be more productive, as I was in a more comfortable work environment.

It is this distinction (among many others) that, when faced with multiple job opportunities, I knew immediately that DDN was the place for me. I had made the decision that this would be my last contracting work, and I would immediately seek full-time employment at an organization afterwards. Despite very generous offers from various other organizations, nothing could compete with the uniquely inviting atmosphere at DDN.

I still feel surprised at times that I get to work here with all the wonderful people in our organization, and I hope that others who read this know the truth of it when they themselves are looking for an opportunity to join an organization that is simply more.

Cons

No organization is without its faults, but I can honestly say I have not had a single con since I've started here.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging the positive atmosphere in DDN, because that is what makes this organization unique for me.

Jul 27, 2017

We fully agree that not only encouraging, but trying to create a positive atmosphere is very important to many of our employees. Here's to being unique/special!

2. "Great place to work, learn, and develop"

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good team leader, great people to work with and interesting work

Cons

Not enough training to meet the expectations

3. "Great opportunity so growth"

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

This company is honestly the best . So far in my opinion this company is a wonderful place to grow. it provides a great platform for one to grow in the company and provides amazing opportunity to travel and meet fresh new exciting employees. With great salaries more responsibility is bestowed upon you, which makes the job exciting and challenging pushes you to be the best that you can be. With all companies has its positives and negatives I can honestly say that this company is growing more positive direction everyday

Cons

Don't listen to all the negative reviews , this company is growing in positive strives every day. You get to work with some of the top people in the industry can offer such NASA , Uber, and Tesla just to name a few.

Advice to Management

Advice to management, don't be so quick to shut down new or encouraging advice or opportunities from new employees, be open minded

"Fantastic Work Environment - Positive Management Structure"

Current Employee - IT Department in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for DDN for about 7 years now. I LOVE this company! It's a great place to gain professional work experiences in a "state of the art industry." And the skills we use translate directly within the industry. All the obvious things such as PTO , 401K , etc. The work environment is extremely professional and although fast paced, everyone is pleasant and helpful!

Cons

I feel there isn't enough educational programs that are targeted for each specific department - not just blanket for the entire company.

Advice to Management

I'd like for management to try to encourage positive change.

"Mixed Bag here at DDN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good department managers
    pay (Initial, not including raises and bonuses)
    Sometimes feel I'm working for a good goal but it is fleeting when keep getting bad news.
    and... can't think of anymore

Cons

* Micro-Management by Co-Owners.
    * Co-Owners don't let their executive team lead and executive team don't let the line managers properly lead.
    * Lack of clear communication from the top that is constructive.
    * Pay raises and bonuses. Don't have enough to give line workers raises while executive team get full raises and co-owners walk away with bucks. They review the bonus pool to make sure that all the top people get their money first and the rest is piddled among the rest. Same goes for annual raises which they try to hold out as long as possible each year in paying.
    * Co-owners go into hiding until it is time for All Hands quarterly meetings.
    * Favoritism by by co-owners and as I already said micro-management
    * Finally, what is with all the self-promotion the past 5 months on Glassdoor. Seems like a concerted effort to raise the score which it has done.

Advice to Management

Paul and Alex stop micro-managing. Let your lieutenants do their job and rate them at end-of-year on accomplishing your metrics. Not by overriding their every-day decisions. Lieutenants - let your Managers do their job etc...
    * Bring to market products for the mid-sized and SMB market so we can get some real revenue growth instead of the long sales cycle for our large sale accounts. Can you say iSCSI, Application integration and replication.
    Better communication by top-of-stack management with clear goals and guidance to the organization.
    Pay yourself a fair share as you are obviously the founders and owners but stop taking it out of hard working bottom line. i.e. stop using DDN's coffers as your piggy bank start thinking of it as a real company.
    * Stop the continuous round of layoffs and then rehires. It costs the company more to bring on new people then keeping dedicated staff.
    * Stop this HR BS of what looks like Glassdoor self-congratulations.
    * The constant parties, out-sourced benefits etc.. Invest in management training (training of OWNERS and VP's on customer service skills) and line level management training. Don't let HR own this.

I know that the grass isn't always greener at another company but sometimes you make it so hard to not look for another job. I really want to stay and contribute and I have a perverse sense of wanting to help my team therefore I stay. But I owe no allegiance to Senior Management but I wish I could.

Jul 28, 2017

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We appreciate your input as we do other employees' input. DDN encourages all employees to continue to work through their concerns and to provide... More

"Focus on the negative reviews here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DDN Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As most others have mentioned, co-workers are for the most part great, and common suffering across the employee base makes people closer. High quality people get hired, unfortunately few stay.

Cons

The key negatives have already been highlighted, but should not be ignored:
    - owners are in it for themselves and run the place that way
    - favoritism rules in many departments
    - turnover is incredible high, and many people leave after few weeks
    - "old guard" in Chatsworth tends to make life hard for newer employees
    - great mystery for many years about company's true finances and direction

Advice to Management

Bring in professional management and/or sell the company.

"Company has high turnover"

I worked at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

Great location in the San Fernando Valley

Cons

The HR personnel were unprofessional.

Jul 29, 2017

Thank you for your post. Our team is constantly working to deliver excellent and professional service. If there are specific actions which are not in line with this, we hope to
    have an... More

8. "Has Potential"

I worked at DDN Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pro of working at DDN is the people you work with. From the get go the people are what has kept DDN around and relevant. Management needs to understand that without the people they will not be around. Not all revenue generating folks are what makes DDN success. Its all the back office individual as well that contribute to the overall success of the company.
    The company has created a step challenge to motivate the employees to stay fit with prizes for winning teams. It appears that everyone really enjoys it. Chatsworth as well as Santa Clara have fitness equipment and classes for the staff. I really enjoyed the smoothie machine that was introduce to get people to think healthy alternative to drinking sodas.

Cons

Very bad communication.
    Management doesn't treat everyone equally.

Advice to Management

Take more conservative booking goals and don't base your own goals and objective on the employees when it isn't meant. All employees try to do their best and make the company great. Please be more transparent to the employees and set realistic goals that are truly achievable. Find ways to improve company morale.

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you for your review. We will continue to look for ways to engage our employees and make DDN a good place to work!

"Startup, still after 20 years in existence"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DDN Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Badly managed company (upper management and owners). Many talented employees have left the company because they can see going down. Very weak benefits

Cons

Talented and well-intentioned employees throughout the company

Advice to Management

Advice to owners: Hire a professional CO/CEO and get out of the way.

"DDN Posting their own reviews!? *GASP*"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DDN Storage full-time

Pros

In my 5+ years of working I haven't encountered any.

Cons

It's strange to me that this company went from 2-3 star yellow rating to an almost 5 star rating in just a few short months! If I didn't know any better I'd sure think that there was someone from DDN falsifying these reviews. I mean some of these review titles just reek of self gratification. "Human Resources - Making a difference" < that's especially funny since HR didn't help me at all when my wife lost her job to get her medical insurance! "Supportive Management & Team Members" < Wasn't there a review just before that stating "By-and-large there is not a sense that upper management is on your side" Found in 3 reviews?
    As someone currently working here I have been told multiple times that "it's not in there budget" to give me any sort of raise, but they can afford to pay yoga instructors and 3rd party companies to manage "Employee Recognition" programs. And as I stated before, there is most likely someone getting paid to write all these positive reviews also. Here's a couple of more accurate reviews "Very bad communication. Management doesn't treat everyone equally."
    BEWARE of this company, look deep into this glassdoor and you'll find the truth about this place. If you're a talented skilled worker then this is NOT the place for you, don't let their self gratifying reviews fool you. Hey isn't strange that there's suddenly multiple reviews a day for this company? ...weird.

Advice to Management

FIX issues found in your company instead of spending time to post a lot of nice reviews or coerce employees to leave positive reviews by offering rewards . Treat your employees fairly and cut all the unnecessary fluff like the yoga / parties / and Employee recognition. I know I'd much rather earn a fair wage than be "recognized" and given a nice little souvenir.

Jul 31, 2017

We value all inputs and support Glassdoor's guidelines on the review process, which can provide some insights as to how the integrity of the submissions is maintained. It is recommended that you... More