DEFENDERS Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Manager

DEFENDERS President & CEO Jim Boyce
Jim Boyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can make good money from time to time (in 24 reviews)

• Emphasis on self improvement and growth-ORIENTED CULTURE (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle at times but not consistently a problem (in 29 reviews)

• You do nothing than bait and switch (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity For a driven person"

Current Employee - Security Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Security Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the culture the people the income the learning opportunities the support from peers the abilty to move around in the business if given the chance

Cons

the hours can be long some times the drives to and from installs can be long too and being held responsible for things out of your control

DEFENDERS Response

Aug 23, 2017 – Leadership and Development

Thank you for sharing and for your contribution to the DEFENDERS team. Remember: Businesses Don’t Grow, People Do!

2. "Not Good"

Former Employee - Security Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Security Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DEFENDERS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allot of work, daily non stop and on the weekends as well. They having giving days as well that are useful

Cons

Work life balance is non existent, quotas, commissions change monthly without your knowledge of the change. Watch out for the kool aid that your given in Indianapolis.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when it comes to sales and upsells. Don't paint a picture to employees about the perfect company when you are far from it.

DEFENDERS Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Leadership and Development

Thank you for your feedback, we value your review and take these concerns seriously. At DEFENDERS, our advantage is our people. We believe that “Businesses Don’t Grow, People Do!” We are sorry to... More

3. "Sales Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, compensated for working hard.

Cons

Transparency of objectives from upper management lacked communication to key levels of managerial duties. Lacking clear vision to align the field employees along with the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Enjoyed all my personal managers.

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are trying to be better.

Cons

Pay is low and uneven. Company does not care about employees. Company is dishonest in advertising how they deal with employees

Advice to Management

BE HONEST. Care about your employees

5. "The Emperors New Clothes"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company persuades you to believe in good pipe dreams. Reality is the jobs are a big shell game. Good luck fools.

Cons

When the day is done, the company made lots of money, you might make or lose money and the customer always gets screwed. No moral values from a bunch of hypocritical people.

Advice to Management

Really try to trea t your people well. This ask may be beyond your grasp!

"Defender"

Former Employee - Security Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Security Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty decent pay for the most part. They have a string belief in self improvement and provide many avenues to better yourself.

Cons

Inconsistency in leadership practicing what they drill into our heads their four passions. One of their four passions is Developing Leaders. To that end they will provide no shortage of opportunities to be ttrained and developed as a leader. Sounds great! Except when a leadership position comes open they bypass all of their developing leaders and hire and recruit outside the company.

Advice to Management

Your message and mission statements are all great. Take an honest look at some of the business practices that has taken place and evaluate if they promote the passions or contradict and/or compete against them. The company need to realign with its message or tone down the cheer leading about them.

"Director of Operations"

Former Employee - ADT Security Sales Manager/Sales Center Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at DEFENDERS (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is what makes Defender a special place to work and build solid relationships that can last long into a persons career.

Cons

The worklife balance is not as easy to live with. High growth company with many demands and slow to adopt technology.

8. "Security Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager/Sales Manager in Cutler Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager/Sales Manager in Cutler Bay, FL

I have been working at DEFENDERS (Less than a year)

Pros

Good financial opportunity. Strong culture at the main office. Powerful profitable process of selling and installing security systems.

Cons

Almost no work/life balance. Management position is way underpaid. (I made about double as a technician with half of the work/stress/responsibility.)

"READ EACH REVIEW CAREFULLY!"

Former Employee - Security Manager
    Former Employee - Security Manager

I worked at DEFENDERS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of these "positive" 4/5 star reviews are FAKE. You can tell which are scripted. Also, notice that all the positive reviews are done by "Anonymous Employees". Completely fake.

Cons

They lie to customers daily and will not blink an eye to lie to future workers. Just do your due diligence and research carefully.

Money is great, like everyone as said... Work-Personal life balance is horrible. There will come a time when your conscience will tell you "it's time to leave", if you manage to stay without getting fired for reasons no fault of your own.

They teach great values and then force you to go against them to boost numbers or keep your job.

Advice to Management

It's shocking how the CEO has become so "out of touch" with the reality of his company. Your company is suppose to be like your baby. You nurture it, care for it, and watch it grow from infant to adolescent to adult... Unfortunately, Dave Lindsey has become the father that neglected his child.

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Geneseo, IL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Geneseo, IL

I have been working at DEFENDERS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities and encouragement for self improvement. From building homes with YWAM, attending My Best Life (3 day company sponsored event), book clubs, and the annual National Convention with well known speakers. In my 6+ years experience with the organization, I have seen numerous promotions from within. Also, you are truly rewarded for your hard work. There are not many organizations that allow you to have so much control over your own salary and have the potential to make 6 figures your first year. High performers are also rewarded with an annual Superstar Trip in addition to many regional/national contests.

Cons

Not really a con, but you must be able to handle high expectations and adapt to change. Defender has grown from a small company run out of a bedroom to ADT's first Authorized Premier Provider with nationwide service. You can't do this by remaining stagnant in an ever changing industry.