DENSO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DENSO President and CEO Nobuaki Katoh
Nobuaki Katoh

Pros
  • Decent work expectancy (work life balance) (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, competitive pay, on site gym and plenty of other perks (in 9 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good overall. extra three words"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Athens, TN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Athens, TN

I have been working at DENSO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent work expectancy (work life balance)
    Helpful coworkers

Cons

Management needs some work
    Location in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

Manage people more. Need to get on people for not doing their jobs

2. "good place to grow"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at DENSO (Less than a year)

Pros

great coworkers and management. very collaborative environment

Cons

very corporate, not a lot of freedom

"Not the company it once was"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA

I worked at DENSO full-time

Pros

Some very nice and dedicated people.

Cons

Micromanagement, employees are publically ridiculed and embarrassed by senior management, very low pay in the factory, little recognition for good work, unreasonable expectations, massive bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a lot more respect, spend more time listening to the workers and realize that you will never succeed without their support.

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DENSO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well-known company, great reputation, produce some of the highest quality and performance products in the world

Cons

Very slow in all aspects including job promotions

6. "Benefits/ Work life Balance"

Former Employee - Associate in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Battle Creek, MI

Pros

ASMI offers excellent fringe benefits such as comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance through BCBC. Personal time off is accrued based on hours worked. Also the amount accrued each hour increases the longer you work for the organization. There are numerous paid holidays each year. They offer tuition reimbursement as well for any degree of your choice without a contractual agreement to stay with the company after your education. It is a great company.

Cons

The wages paid are slightly lower than the industry average. However, the fringe benefits make up the difference if you do the math.

Advice to Management

Promote from within more than you currently do. Look at the skills acquired by employees taking advantage of a higher education and use that assessment to put them in a position that is mutually beneficial.

7. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Southfield, MI

I worked at DENSO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company treats their employees very well. Benifits are good. Pay is competive. Denso offers a lunch option on campus that I am sure is supplemented by Denso. Training is very important to the Company. I liked alot of things there and can see the growth path for the normal disciplines of engineering. (Mechanical electrical, software). If you are in one of these disciplines you will experience career growth and may never want to leave as Denso doesn't layoff people....even during the recession.

Cons

I left off patents, not sure why. I also found that management doesn't see the value in specialist. I was hired to do a special task. I was told by my manager , after I was there and preforming well, that the only way to advance in wage is to become a "project manager". Also was told to train people to do my tasks. This was ok with me but no one was really interested and people slept during training classes. I also found Japan to be hard to work with.
    Alot of my problems are most likily related to the position I was in at Denso.

Advice to Management

As the products become more high tech the model of everyone doing everything will cause problems. Start to develop specified groups like thermal, optics, materials, and testing.

8. "Apprentice Engineer II"

Current Employee - Apprentice Engineer II in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Apprentice Engineer II in Southfield, MI

I have been working at DENSO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, multicultural, progressive, job security, most co-op positions seem to offer a lot of growth

Cons

A few bad apples, job security is taken advantage of by bad apples. A few questionable managers . Witnessed the group I was part of have 4 out of 5 individuals leave over the course of 1.5 years, in part due to poor management. Hours can be long. Flex time (core hours of 10-3 allow you to come in later or leave earlier. Still have to get your work done)

Advice to Management

Remove the bad apples, no point in keeping people that will just lead to others leaving.

"Application Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at DENSO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work for. Starting with 20 days off per year!. Pay is great too, and the company takes good care of employees

Cons

nothing I can think of, really. I love my job, and would believe that every other company will require the same from engineers. Out of the 5 engineering jobs I had, this is the best one.

"Overtime!"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at DENSO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you want overtime you got it! They have a rec center

Cons

If you expect a fair pay raise wrong company been there 22 years and have approximately $2.00 pay raise after they made us start paying for our insurance. Right now we are looking to try to get a union in the shop..avoid this place if you want a great job!

Advice to Management

Actually respect your associates and take their input to heart instead of ramming changes down our throats then making more changes when the first fails!!

11. "Large Automotive supplier"

Former Employee - Final Assembly Process Engineer in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Final Assembly Process Engineer in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at DENSO (More than 3 years)

Pros

They try to take good care of their employees, and were working very hard to reduce OT load when I left. Most departments within DMMI have fairly open channels for feedback to management. Great people working there.

Cons

A lot of decisions, ranging from how to run the company to what software you're allowed to have on your computer, to what process will be used to actually build are products, are handed down from global HQ in Japan, often with literally no input from DMMI. Big wall between DMMI and any support areas that are not also based on site. Workload is really high too, but that's all of automotive right now and management is aware and trying to fix that. Culturally "stuck" in kind of the 1950's, which doesn't always work well if you're not a white (or Japanese) male.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your people: we get pushed around a lot when suppliers, designers, etc. (WHQ), set all of the terms of a transaction and makes it hard to do our job effeciently and right the first time.