DFS Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DFS Group Chairman & CEO Philippe Schaus
Philippe Schaus

Pros
  • many holidays, comfortable working environment, less politics (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, Uniform provided, incentives, Great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • senior management are not passionate about their SA- (in 8 reviews)

• Work life balance may be an issue when working in a highly touristed location that runs 365 days a year (in 3 reviews)

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

profitable company! great benefits! great location!

Cons

Low morale among staff due to management not working as a team.
    Management does not motivate staff. VeryTop Heavy.

Advice to Management

IF YOU CAN'T TREAT PEOPLE WELL, HOW DO EXPECT TO HAVE EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS.

2. "Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- good deals during employee sales
    - opportunity to learn about luxury retail from all business aspects (merchandising, distribution, operations, etc.)

Cons

- awful politics and nepotism
    - top-down business structure, even though upper management denies it
    - poor organization, communication, unclear objectives due to lack of leadership from upper management
    - mission statement, values, and training classes are not actually put into action by company leaders, and seem to be used as an attempt to brainwash employees
    - many employees can get away with not doing their job through faking it (blatant use of politics, covering your tracks, all talk and no action)

Advice to Management

Lead by example, not behind your desk. Instead of constantly talking about what needs to be done, why not show it? Take accountability. Always support and inspire your team instead of throwing them under the bus to save yourself. Look at the bigger picture and figure out what really matters and makes a difference.

"Not What I Expected"

I worked at DFS Group full-time

Pros

Profitable, global business. Smart, motivated staff for the most part. If you fit in, your bonus can be very healthy.

Cons

Difficult management group/structure to navigate. Lack of resources in the operating groups (very top heavy in Corporate office). Lack of upward mobility unless you are a "yes" person. If asked to think outside the box or do something new & creative, don't bother....because old ways die hard at DFS.

Advice to Management

Time to start truly thinking about positioning the business for the future.

5. "eh"

Pros

no rom for growth no, just a ceilingti keep you in

Cons

low pay ive done more for half the pay

Advice to Management

get better

"Bad management EVER!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at DFS Group part-time

Pros

having some nice co-workers, team incentives, uniform allowance every month

Cons

Low pay, bad management, hire many people as part-time and offer extra hour without giving you full-time position. All the manages are playing games here, so regret to take the offering since I were applied for full-time, doesn't matter how hard you work, only more work load your can get without getting payback. It's waste of time if you have high expectation of your career path.

Advice to Management

Hope global management can notice why employees come and go

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee we were like a family . The uniform pay and transportation is good. You learn other languages and meet new ppl.

Cons

Management sucks they don't care about there employees to the point that now everyone is leaving from leads to employees I don't recommend anyone goes there maybe if management changes or something. Like we literally have no one to close stores because management is pushing everyone out. I have worked my butt off for years for this company and never have a got any kind of recognition mind you I do so many things not in my job description and don't get paid for it. And stop coming up with poilicys that arent policy. And if you decided to come up with something inform your employees so that they know instead they find out when they get in trouble.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees take there matters into consideration. Also try to come up with some type of system were there isn't always a problem with paycheck. And if you treat your employees with respect they would be glad to give it in return.

8. "Unfair employee selection"

I worked at DFS Group full-time

Pros

Discounts, okay benefits, people are okay to work with

Cons

Poorly educated management, unfair employee selection, everything is slow from the POS ,computers, to the people, an embarrassment to say it is "luxury retail", too much politics

Advice to Management

Need more educated management, no words can fix the management. recognize real talent not "teacher's pets"

"Horrendous - Office Admin"

Former Employee - Sales Office Administrator in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at DFS Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Wages. Delivery bonus helps but they use this against you so you never finish at the correct time of 5.30!! You also get an hour long lunch although they expect you to shorten this in order to get the workload finished for that day!

Cons

No life outside of DFS, long hours, too much work and not enough time.

Advice to Management

No wonder so many people leave and the company have bad reviews for employees when your
    EXPECTED to work past 5.30 every day with no overtime, staff are treat horribly. Not enough time in the day to get workload complete due to constant phone ringing which you HAVE to answer within 3 rings. You get a delivery bonus every month but they use this as an excuse to stay late, often working up until 7pm when meant to finish at 5.30pm. Basically unless DFS is your life then stay clear. All management live for the company so don't think that other employees want to be out on time. Offices are often under staffed so yet again even more work on top of the normal day which just can't be done in a day! The contract states you might have to stay behind or work a weekend occasionally "for business needs" but after working several extra days over weekends (which by the way you don't get overtime for, you have to take a leui day, but cant use it as understaffed through the week)! After not being able to cover a weekend at short notice, get a terrible email on a Monday morning threatening your job!! Horrendous and glad I am out of there!

10. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounts in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Accounts in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Staff discount
    Comfortable working environment as in the office settings

Cons

Low pay salaries. Super under market rates for graduates
    Need to sweet talk to management for better image to self. Fake personalities everywhere
    OT even if there is nothing to do. To pretend you are hardworking
    Competitive environment because of company culture

Advice to Management

Please improve on the working culture. Pay equal attention to all staff. Do not give false hopes and lies about job roles(career progression). And pay the staff at least at market rate

"Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

Cons

The MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad.

Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci.

A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act.

Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Advice to Management

Get a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.