DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Sean Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone respects the work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Health benefits are decent, pay is mediocre and the paid vacation time is generous (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have an issue Human Resources is not going to be any help, they are pro management (in 6 reviews)

• Cannot afford the health insurance (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DFW cares about the people that work for the organization. They do a great job in reminding employees the importance of work/life balance. The LiveWell gym available on Airport property is an amazing benefit and DFW follows through on its promotion of a healthy lifestyle. It is rare to find an organization that encourages its employees to take advantage of the free exercise classes offered and they provide incentives throughout the year to earn additional days of pay.
    DFW is very aware of its status as a global airport and is extremely cognizant of how important the people at DFW are for the Airport to accomplish its goals. It was a great place to work and I will take many of their beliefs into my next organization.

Cons

Every organization has room for improvement and DFW takes the feedback it receives seriously and implements action items based on the feedback. The only con I would think is the time it sometimes takes for implementation to happen.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on collaboration and stressing the importance of your employees as you move forward.

2. "90 Day New Employee"

Current Employee - Ambassador Program Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ambassador Program Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy, friendly people to work with.

Cons

It is obviously a 24/7/365 operation. Most positions are not 8a-5p

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Only getting worse and worse in DFW's in house Security Division"

Current Employee - Airport Security Officer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Airport Security Officer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady money, good money, much needed time off with pay.

People watching is always fun

Cons

No career, lack of motivation, very poor management.

During my interview the department was described to me as having a great future full of growth, this simply is not true. There has been scandal after scandal since working here, several high ranking figure heads have been shown the door and are no longer employed by DFW in last couple of months. Now there is talk of possibly doing away with the department and opting to go with contract security. There is also talk of downsizing the department, so I'm not sure which is more viable, either situations are bad. Management has large egos and enjoy boasting about what little power the possess. You are treated like contract waste service removal technician here, constantly talked down to and threatened with disciplinary actions over everything, all while expected to pick up the trash. I had never seen an employer turn workers against the company, against fellow workers, and kill ambition and spirit like DFW Airport Security Department. If you have an issue Human Resources is not going to be any help, they are pro management. There has been in excess of 50 people resigning over the last year, which should be a sign. Many people are biding their time until a better job presents itself.

Advice to Management

This isn't working

"Special Events Director"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Lost of people to get home from

Cons

Deadlines do not allow for personal life.

5. "Supervisor"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Strong work ethic, loyal, thorough, and treats people the way I wished to be treated. (coworkers, subordinates, customer and management)

Cons

digs too deep to get the facts

Advice to Management

Maintain strong communications-have a clear understanding of the goals, prior to the beginning of a project. be flexible for changing conditions.

"It is all about management here, "little guys" mean very little"

Current Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think the Airport is well perceived by other organizations and by working here it makes one look well rounded and seasoned to other companies. There are many opportunities to learn new skills here at DFW. Another perk is that there are many good people to spend your day with.

Cons

Reward system at DFW is very biased. Most employees not in a management role are not rewarded properly. Base pay continues to rise for new employees who come in replacing other employees and seasoned employees pay does not rise as fast as new pay rates, creating a situation where long tenured employees are earning near the same as newly hired employees. There is no cost of living raise given to employees, in fact yearly raises equal to 2.5-2.75% unless you are management or executive level, then compensation is much higher. Point in fact it was recently published in the Dallas Morning News CEO Sean Donahue received a 3.2% merit raise, which is less than rank and file employees, however he received a $171,000 bonus (36% of his yearly salary). Hmmm... Rank and file employees receive 2.75% and no "bonus" or cost of living increase, this is a major factor of why so many are disgruntled here. Medical cost rise faster than raises and many employees are drowning in a lack of proper reward/merit increase system.

Another negative to working here is unfair promotion opportunities and really much upward mobility what so ever. DFW hires many qualified and hard working employees, however fails to promote within like many companies do and in conjunction with poor compensation in the form of raises it unfortunately runs many employees off. Just recently as many have read/witnessed companies are rewarding employees with large bonuses of appreciation, DFW Airport has not done anything remotely equivalent since approximately 2006 when the last "cost of living" was given.

Advice to Management

Maybe research how other organizations reward and promote employees in order to keep staff versus continuing a revolving door approach. I am sorry but double digit bonuses in addition to yearly raises for executives when most employees receive a single digit yearly raise with no bonus is not promoting a fair and equitable workplace. Also quit preaching you promote advancement and provide training when in fact it is mostly lip service.

"Dead end job led by untrustworthy and hostile supervision and management. Everyone is lied to here"

Former Employee - Security Officer- Airport Security Division D P S in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reliable income with ability to work additional assignments for extra money. Some good people you will work with, not for.

Cons

I was lied to when accepting this position. I was led to believe the department was on a massive revamping with lots of opportunities to grow within the organization, however this was not true. In fact some of the individuals who led to me to believe this are on suspension for poor decisions and job performance. Most of the few promotions I saw were given to people on a power trip and major ego's, hence why such poor attitudes exists. The department is now looking likely to downsize in terms of personnel and special units most likely will be disbanded and further inhibit career development within. The positive is that it appears Human Resources is finally clearing some of the bad seeds from the department, unfortunately there are many and this will take some time. Many wastes of money spending are apparent on several fronts within, however the excessive spending is not used on rewarding or enticing employees to stay. Turnover has been extremely high for over a year. Security Officers gossip about everything and everyone, loyalty is non-existent due to the style of management in place. Attitudes with most officers is very low and people do not care about their job here. I have never worked for such a bad organization EVER. Lies, deception, non-rewarding, untrustworthy, cheated, cheap, no backing, bad leadership, dead end, crooked, backstabbing, sabotage, and mocked are all descriptive words that come to mind from my experience while here. I felt compelled to warn others before entering a bad employer and a bad situation. Maybe other departments are better but I promise you that the entire Department of Public Safety, to include Police, Access Control, and especially Airport Security are all a big mess.

"DCC Department"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Lessons Learned on examples of unethical practices and behavior. Work environment is quite, due to fear and intimidation.

Cons

Department Leadership team lacks honesty, perpetuates a hostile work environment, and supports quid pro quo.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great Community"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Stress is low, and people are professional and upbeat. Everyone respects the work life balance. Finally, everyone knows why they are there - to keep the airplanes flying. The common vision is very clear.

Cons

It takes a little longer to get things done around here. Its possible to be waiting for people go get back to you.

DFW International Airport Response

Nov 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We couldn’t agree more that our employees understand how their role contributes to the success of the Airport. In fact, in our recent employee... More

"Airport "Security" Division"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Cool uniforms
    Air conditioning
    Running Water
    Comfy Chairs
    Expensive Health Care

Cons

A joke would be an improvement to this place. There is nothing security related to this job at all. You introduce a hard worker and you can bet at least 5 people will try to tear him/her down. The turn over rate is atrocious. Don't listen to the "Veterans" If they have been there for 10-15 years as an airport "security" officer....that tells you all you need to know lol. It has the potential to be an incredible department for sure, it has the right components, the right look and even the right leadership (with some training) BUT, there needs to be some sort of apocalypse with that place to just start over. Re train, Re Hire (and be TRANSPARENT ABOUT THE JOB), and Re define what that department should be! Happy sailing ladies and gents!

Advice to Management

Attend some leadership training and learn the difference between being a "Boss" and being a "Leader" it really does make all the difference!