DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Sean Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone respects the work life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good decent pay and great benefits" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Department Leadership team lacks honesty, perpetuates a hostile work environment, and supports quid pro quo" (in 8 reviews)

• "Limited functioning human resources" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DFW cares about the people that work for the organization. They do a great job in reminding employees the importance of work/life balance. The LiveWell gym available on Airport property is an amazing benefit and DFW follows through on its promotion of a healthy lifestyle. It is rare to find an organization that encourages its employees to take advantage of the free exercise classes offered and they provide incentives throughout the year to earn additional days of pay.
    DFW is very aware of its status as a global airport and is extremely cognizant of how important the people at DFW are for the Airport to accomplish its goals. It was a great place to work and I will take many of their beliefs into my next organization.

Cons

Every organization has room for improvement and DFW takes the feedback it receives seriously and implements action items based on the feedback. The only con I would think is the time it sometimes takes for implementation to happen.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on collaboration and stressing the importance of your employees as you move forward.

2. "6-Months in the job"

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Customer Experience focused. Very Employee Engagement focused. Benefits are great and start on the first day as a Board Employee. New hire orientation is just right - big picture and how you contribute.

Cons

If you need to replace your badge - it costs a large chunk of money.
    Parking can be a challenge, but they do provide a bus to take you from the terminal to the employee parking lot.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging the employees and set expectations in the actual position right up front. Training by co-workers can be less than you are expecting, so a level up might be a better choice for the on-the-job training.

3. "Disengagement exemplified"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare insurance coverage, retirement plan with a 7% contribution match and an on-site gym

Cons

Dysfunctional Executive Leadership Team. HR department with a revolving door.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to establish a 'Culture of Excellence" and "Servant Leadership" and high engagement scores will follow!

4. "Great Life/Work Balance"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Hours are very predictable. Don't have to work late or on weekends.
    - Great 401K match.
    - Healthy lifestyle is taken very seriously - to the point that it's incorporated in the company goals. There is a clinic and a gym onsite, and employees are encouraged to use both.

Cons

- A lot of variation within the different departments. Some departments offer no flexibility with work hours and others do.
    - Opportunities for career growth are very limited. This is partially because a large portion of the workforce (those who have the longest tenure) have a pension plan and they tend to hold top management positions, and keep them until they retire.

5. "Access Control Office"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Awesome company, the best I have worked for so far. They invest on your well being as a human, your health, and are constantly making improvement to make the employees happy. Good decent pay and great benefits. I feel blessed to work for this company.

Cons

No Cons, I love everything about this company.

"Not monetarily competitive"

Current Employee - Analyst in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DFW has many pros such as a vast amount of interdepartmental learning opportunities with it being such a large organization. Not many public entities have such diverse operations under one umbrella.
    DFW is a financially secure employer with an abundance of available funding within its grasp.
    DFW seems to be focused on employee wellbeing (not financial wellbeing, only health)

Cons

Employees are not rewarded for hard work. Unfortunately the employees that receive the most opportunities and monetary bonuses are the weakest links.
    In a market that is finally better rewarding employees with pay and higher annual raises DFW is only providing a 3.25% pool. This means many employees will receive around 2.75%. Meanwhile for FY 2019 an overabundance of local government employers are giving a flat 4% to most employees. DFW did waive medical insurance cost for employees for 2 months, however this was biased and benefited employees with families more than single workers due to additional charges employees must pay to add family to their coverage.
    I think with DFW breaking numbers this last year that some "real" monetary bonus or adequate annual raise could be provided.
    DFW does not invest in employees career paths adequately and employees are very limited in career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Properly reward employees in a fair and equitable manner

"I read reviews before I started and afterwards realized all negative reviews are true"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

-Excellent onsite employee wellness facility free for employees
    -Fair wages
    -Good place to start a career (if other employers only knew)
    -For the most part low level employees are great to work with on a daily basis

Cons

-Stuck in the past with antiquated management practices (corporal punishment is encouraged to dissuade other employees from not engaging in debauchery.
    -Untrustworthy supervision, management, and especially executives.
    -The airport does not reward employees well in terms of annual raise, meanwhile management up to executives receive HUGE bonuses.
    -Very stifling place to work that prefers robotic employees to heave to any and all orders and demands even if it poses a safety risk to employees. In their mind you are replaceable.
    -No promoting
    -Human resources is not a resource for workers

I recently started and needless to say I am looking to escape with my sole. I read negative reviews before starting and chaulked it up to a small handful of negative employees. I was naive and realize now this was all true, I have to wonder if overly positive reviews are in fact HR trying to falsely portray as a positive place to work.
    I am not an overly religious person or have any strange beliefs, however I feel my sole being slowly taken with every week working here. It is a dark, depressing, negative place full of corruption.

"A Once-Fine Organization Run Aground by Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented young employees are attracted to the organization, and fill most of the manager and below ranks.

Free gym for employees, with a great health/fitness program.

Opportunity to work with wonderful, talented lower-level employees in the organization.

Great place to start a career (but don't stay longer than 2-3 years, or your career will die).

American Airlines has such a large presence that airport's executive leadership has very little impact -- for good or bad -- on the success of the airport. As long as American doesn't go bankrupt, even the current team can't screw things up too much.

DFW is a GREAT place to recruit really talented young employees who are under-appreciated and under-valued at DFW, and want greater opportunities.

Cons

Very unfriendly place for women. Only one member of the senior leadership team is a woman. For years, this sole female executive has actually instituted a , women-only dress code for years: no bare shoulders, no open-toed shoes, no tattoos may be visible, and skirts cannot be worn without hose. Current and past male CEOs have permitted this double-standard policy for years.

Same female executive established a professional network for women in the organization, but not all females are permitted to participate.

Lower-level employees have virtually zero opportunity to advance within the organization.

CEO preferred to sit in his office almost the entire day; did not like to speak to employees, other than 4-5 people in his senior leadership team, and, in my experience, seldom communicated to employees, even when passing in the hallway.

Inverted and inequitable "bonus" system is designed to enrich the CEO and the other 4-5 senior executives. CEO earns up to 30%, EVPs 20%, VPs 15%, AVPs 5%, and managers 3%. Employees below manager level earn bupkus. And the senior leadership team uses arbitrary annual review process to ensure that actual bonuses end up below the percentages listed above for VPs, AVPs, and managers.

Very few, in any, open LGBTQ employees -- and, in my experience, it wasn't a very friendly welcoming environment for LGBTQ employees (e.g., among the many "ERG" employee resource groups, there was not one for LGBTQ colleagues; and no AVP or above members of the leadership team were openly LGBTQ.

General leadership philosophy, which is oft-repeated by senior executives, is the long-outdated, failed-back-in-the1970s "make your boss look good" approach -- not exactly a zeitgeist that anyone under 40 should want to be a part of, IMHO... unless you want to have your boss take your work and claim it as his or her own in front of you in meetings on a regular basis.

The Board that oversees airport executives is largely disinterested in the dysfunction, as long as its members are able to take multiple all-expenses-paid trips around the world on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Why waste the breath?

9. "AVP"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Stable and predictable.

Cons

It’s a bureaucracy as should be expected

"Airport Security Department"

Former Employee - DPS-Airport Security Officer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - DPS-Airport Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport (More than a year)

Pros

Generous benefits package to include hefty vacation accruals from day one, sick leave accruals are decent as well. Health insurance is somewhat pricey, however it is not a high deductible plan like so many others.

Onsite employee gym is better than many local small gyms and free for employees.

A fast paced and diverse set of operations within one organization could be a great learning opportunity and gainful in experience that could lead to potential other career options. (However DFW does not believe in interdepartmental cohesiveness)

Extremely effective at serving as an example of what an employer should NOT do

Cons

By far the worst experience in my working career in regards to such a poor experience with management, as well as an employer.

Employees are simply replaceable numbers on paper at DFW, I have never witnessed such a high turnover rate in my department. I would estimate nearly 10% of an entire department resign every 4-6 months. When 10% of your staff resigns twice in a year period that should show any competent management and human resource officials there is a serious problem. At DFW they march along under delusion that they are great and everyone wants to work for them.

Rewards for employee's is not flattering. Most recently the airport announced that due to outstanding performance they would be waiving all medical costs for employees over a 3 month period. I admit this is a nice gesture and I hate to sound unappreciative, however a larger raise or tangible monetary bonus would have been better received. Executives receive double digit bonuses and even upper management, yet regular employees are not granted the same privileges. The airport has to wake up to the fact that they can give lip service all day long about how they value employees but actions speak louder than words when it comes to incentives and rewards for employees. An ice cream sandwich does not carry the weight of a monetary incentive, especially with employees losing buying power year over year.

As mentioned before the airport does not foster an interdepartmental cohesiveness and remains very compartmentalized. This limits any gainful experience, and/or any promotional opportunities for employees. It also promotes employees to have the "I dont care, not my department attitude". In fact the lack of promoting within was the deciding factor with myself resigning, human resources was not helpful at all and does not care if employees are happy, hence the high turnover. When an employee steps up, assists with projects, aids in training, maintains impeccable attendance and yet can only obtain a measly 2.75% annual raise and receive no assistance in establishing a career plan this all points to a sub par employer.

Constant belittling, negativity, and vibes of superiority emanate from supervision and management. There has been 3 AVP's over Airport Security Department in the last couple of years. This place has no idea how to function as a department. Changes are implemented daily and then changed back, and changed again. Half of the time officers are not sure what the correct way is.

There is no schedule for Officers, supervisors withhold this privileged knowledge, therefore you have no clue what assignment you will receive daily and it is difficult to prepare for. This is imperative seeing how there is no lunch provided in ASD and many times no place to refrigerate food. Once a department head told us to just bring cold sandwiches everyday.

Lots of bad attitudes and truly lack of caring from the abuse over the years here.

Advice to Management

Seriously I think the leadership should rotate Supervisors, as well as management into roles of officers for an entire week, rotating through each position to give them a clue of how the operation functions.