DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sean Donahue

Pros
  • The work/life balance is fine; unless you're expected to attend after work functions to make a certain executive look good (in 7 reviews)

• Health benefits are decent, pay is mediocre and the paid vacation time is generous (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I worry that the new CEO will change many of the positive aspects of working for the airport in an effort to cut costs (in 5 reviews)

• The upper management have favorites and attitude problems (in 5 reviews)

1. "ASD is the best security job around"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement. Most security jobs have one or two supervisors and an owner.

Great pay for a security job. Most security jobs are around $8 to $12 an hour which really isn't a livable wage today. Pay could be slightly better and I could see it moving in that direction with quality officers being hired and the amount of responsibility the job entails.

Benefits are ok. Slightly overpriced healthcare but nowhere is cheap today. Time off is on par with other American companies/agencies.

Solid training. They train you according to the direction the department is going which makes the material useful to the job. OJT could be a little longer in order to get familiar with driving on the Airport.

Adding additional managers. Operations could use it. Too many officers for two guys to handle. New managers will bring new ideas to the table.

Cons

Supervisors need more training on leadership. I can see that some of them try but they come up short often. Maybe new management will instill new ideas of leadership.

In my short time here you can see a distinction between new officers and those who have been around a while. The older ones bring a lot to the table just in familiarization alone but some are entrenched in negativity. It's hard to say why other than the fact that some may not want more responsibility. I think the supervisors and managers could improve this by not micromanaging too much and start forcing officers to make a decision. Then again, some officers may have been here so long that they don't know much of what's going on outside the airport. I was going from job to job and not making much compared to here and I have tons of experience.

Advice to Management

From what I hear there is help on the way. This will be good. Current managers should realize that they have some great officers that are willing and capable of making decisions. Let them. Once leadership improves and responsibility increases the department will truly become leaders in the industry.

"A good place to work"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

They do offer great benefits.

Cons

Management not always on the same page as those doing the work.
    Can be very political.

Advice to Management

Stay in better touch with the employees.

"Different freaking world! Not in a good way"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Live well gym truly is rewarding in the workplace, and much better than anywhere I have worked before!

The benefits are very good in what they cover and employees cost at doctors or for admittance, however the monthly cost is very expensive.

Salary and competition is competitive

Cons

Expensive health insurance

Non flattering executive and management team, that don't listen

Violations of ethics are frequently witnessed

Everything that is under the category of "common sense" needs to be removed from ones thought process in order to work here.

Employees are held back career wise for favoritism or just evil mannerisms from management.

"Stable work for those who enjoy politics, pettiness, and little advocacy for employees"

Current Employee - Police Officer
    Current Employee - Police Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As other reviews state, the health insurance and benefits are very good, however very expensive. I would rather have more than need more though.

Live well is beneficial in the sense that many inoculations are either free or at a significantly reduced cost, as well as the hassle of going to your primary care facility. Also physicals and other basic services are available for free.

Many interesting people and things to learn and experience here at DFW

Cons

Very hierarchical in nature here, the powers that be love to relish in a world of subservients bowing to their every command and lavishing them with attention and information. This comes at a cost with trust in the workplace, especially between fellow co-workers. There is an abnormally high level of backstabbing within my Department. A severe lack of trust amongst officers. Judging by others comments this seems to be a problem elsewhere. Reprimands and write ups are pretty much etched in stone and employees have little recourse to fight back, due to lack of advocacy.

The pay at DFW is comparable with most agencies, however other agencies give larger merit/step increases than DFW, and also offer a better retirement program. I believe improving these two items could help retain and attract more effectively.

Promotions are somewhat difficult here, this is where the politics are really heavy. I see promotions that should not occur but do. Its all about who you know, or what incriminating evidence one has.

In house security department that are employed by DFW are beneficial in many ways, I dont think you can ever have too many eyes out there, however they do make the job difficult sometimes with excessive calls such as unattended vehicles and bags. Or calls that are irrelevant. If a little time and patience is given more often than not the owners quickly return and can be told calmly this is not allowed. I have witnessed a small percentage of the Security personnel scold passengers as if they were back in Afghanistan and I have had to talk to them. Again for the most part they are a good group, probably just a minor training issue, seems to be with newer security guards.

I have worked at DFW for several years, there are positives/negatives with any job, its simply unavoidable. I can say with all honesty that the working for the Department of Public Safety here isnt the greatest, definitely not the worst by any means. Its good stable work with a decent income, a decent amount of overtime too. No, promotions are rarely fair, and raises are small, retirement is mediocre. If I had to do over again I would had moved on to a better employer many years ago, but retirement is getting larger in my windshield now.

"Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They use the latest technology in IT.
    Job security

Cons

Pay is not at par with the market values

"Bright Future in Airport Security"

Current Employee - Airport Security Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aggressive and progressive leader that has a big vision. Division is in a necessary rebuilding phase that is driving some dissatisfaction as expected in major change processes.

Cons

Change is always challenging but exciting if you are strong enough to work through it and be a team player

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on, don't give in to the negative outlooks of some.

8. "Progressive Airport Security Department"

Current Employee - Airport Security Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The AVP of Airport Security is making serious changes to this department. I have only been here a short time, but is is apparent that this department has begun to head in the right direction. New additions such as special operations teams and a training/research/compliance department are offering real opportunities for progression. It won't be long until this department is known internationally for setting standards in airport security.

Cons

It appears as though the problems in the past were caused by poor management and lack of accountability. The new AVP is doing a lot to address these issues, and bringing in lots of new, educated people to the division. Some older officers and managers are upset with the changes, but it is obvious they are stuck in the old way of thinking, which is on its way out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Don't let negative attitudes affect your decisions because this department is headed in the right direction!

"Christmas at DFW Airport"

Former Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

There are not too many except for the fine people that I worked with (not for) in the Department of Public Safety.

Cons

According to Conor Shine with the Dallas Morning News, I see that the DFW Airport CEO got another outrageous Christmas present this year while the employees that make him look so good got that lump of coal again. If DFW Airport did so well how come there is no sharing the wealth with the people that actually do the jobs, that make the airport perform so well? This is like a Monarchy, all the money goes into the kings coffers and the subjects are expected to make do with what they have. There is never any expectation of your lot in life getting any better at DFW Airport.

Most employees below the supervisory level will only see a small merit raise or COLA, whatever you want to call it, between 0 and 2.75% or something around a $15.00 to $24.00 increase per paycheck. This is a shameful way to reward your employees for the job they do that makes the airport perform so well and the CEO look so good. The only thing that most employees can see publicly that he did was spend a few million dollars to change the airport LOGO, which by the way is very ugly. With a $130,000.00 bonus and a $600,000.00 retention package he is just another corporate CEO that’s living the rich man’s dream and screwing the American worker.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management, because I know they don't listen. My advice to employees is don't be silent, stand up for yourselves, speak out and make the problems at the airport known to others.

"Talent Acquisiton Specialist"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits. People are okay too.

Cons

there is not a lot of career development.

"Asd security is a dumpster fire."

Pros

A great work environment with like minded adults made alot of friends working here last couple of years.

Cons

Well let's start with the 1st things 1st. The review where the AVP threatened to make the new pretty employee management has now come true. 2nd the entire training staff is made up from people who got degrees but have no working knowledge of said job. 3 the new employees are being catered to. We well be redoing our bid cause 1 wasn't happy with the results. Also 1 new hire wasn't happy with his appointed fto and made false complaints. The FTO got in trouble and the new hire got their way. STAY AWAY FROM THIS JOB.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting degrees who have no idea how to do the job.