DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Sean Donahue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is fine; unless you're expected to attend after work functions to make a certain executive look good (in 8 reviews)

• Health benefits are decent, pay is mediocre and the paid vacation time is generous (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot afford the health insurance (in 5 reviews)

• I worry that the new CEO will change many of the positive aspects of working for the airport in an effort to cut costs (in 5 reviews)

1. "Valet"

I have been working at DFW International Airport part-time

Pros

Very flexible scheduling and lenient.

Cons

No cell phone usage whatsoever

2. "cusotmer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very enjoyable environment, meet different people with different background almost daily.

Cons

its huge and big, can get lost if you don't know your way around

Advice to Management

keep up doing the best for customer satisfaction

"Do not accept a job here"

Former Employee - Professional
    Former Employee - Professional

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is an Onsite gym, medical and dental insurance, good location, retirement match. All pros are benefits related and that is really pushing it

Cons

Management in areas that have not been restructured are highly unethical. Most employees with a few years of service hate working there. Management with tenure will do anything to stay on top. It is a horrible environment that targets older workers to be fired, or pressured to leave. The mistreatment of great people is hard to watch. Employees who speak up are suddenly missing from work and no one knows why.

Advice to Management

Clean House, Break up the cliques, get a backbone and remove the snakes. Drain the swamp.

"Love my Job, not happy with my paycheck."

Current Employee - Full Time in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time in Irving, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have kids and want to spend more time with them, take them on campouts every summer, make sure you can afford whatever doctors they may need. This place can't be beaten.

I lost weight working here.

If you are looking for a front line job like customer service, security, or any hand's on work, then this is the best place to go. You will have much less chance of being laid off or outsourced than elsewhere. You can literally work here until you retire.

100% retirement match up to 7%. Vested in five years.

Cons

If you take a contract you can get stuck on contract for years.

It is not typical to get promoted. If you are looking for fast advancement, look elsewhere. If you have reached your Peter's principal point, come to DFW Airport.

Salary increases are 2-4% there is no reason a top performer would want to work here in a professional capacity. Professional and interchangeable jobs like finance, accounting, IT, HR, will most certainly be able to be paid better if they are great at what they do.

If you want to smoke or have a spouse, who works, on the insurance it will cost more.

Advice to Management

Management has made good progress communicating its intentions to headquarters staff. Frontline staff communication is difficult in a 24/7 environment of this size, but you can make it work.

I appreciate that EVPs participate in company sports leagues. That is really cool.

"Favoritism Abound"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent coworkers and activities to build relationships and get to know your coworkers. It is very team work heavy and need to effectively communicate among your peers and the people outside of the department.

Cons

Favoritism is very apparent in my former department of Parking. Doesn't help that supervisors and management are very lax when it comes to their "favorites" and will turn a blind eye, but will be quick to judge and critique when it comes to enforcement to workers they don't like despite their favorite being in the same violation. It doesn't help that they pick and choose what to enforce along with them being too buddy-buddy with the other workers. Not only that it is VERY SENIORITY base and there is a sense of arrogance stemming from that SENIORITY.

Advice to Management

Keep business and pleasure from clouding your judgement and you can't just pick and choose what to enforce when it comes to policies.

"I feel I have re-enlisted"

Current Employee - Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm very happy with the pay in the Airport Security Division, opportunities to make overtime and work off duty. However there is always a catch.

Cons

I felt fortunate at the time of accepting this job with the starting salary close to what some police get paid where I'm from. However this comes with a price to pay. First of all this job was not was explained to me, I associate this with your basic security work, and are more "monitors".

I had high hopes in the beginning and now am looking for work again. The Division is led by less than capable management, that have no clue of what organizational skills are, nor how to treat employees. Second, the Department is entirely too top heavy with egotistical Assistant Managers. You are constantly being spoke down to and criticized by Assistant Management, and Supervisors.

It is almost as if they are trying to run a military operation with a civilian group. I associate it more as ruled by martial law. All decisions are force fed to workers.

Soon you will have to drive your personal vehicle to various posts within the airport, all while the airport claims they are not responsible if an accident occurs, nor do they pay mileage reimbursement, all risk is put on the employee.

Because of a few who abuse sick leave, now supervision request a doctor's note after even one day, which contradicts state law. In addition to being interrogated for using a sick day, now a new rule is in effect where no more than 3 employees can be off per day, out of a division of over 140. So... Employees cannot even use the vacation time provided by the airport. The list goes on and on... This has led to significant employee morale issues, so many have seen through this organizations poor business practices and are looking to leave. Management states on a daily basis that if you have a problem with their dictatorship then quit. I have never seen such a dysfunctional place as this.

I see this place imploding soon, or it will be a revolving door with new employees hired, because most won't work under these deplorable conditions.

Advice to Management

Learn management 101, and cease leading like a first sergeant. Many of us are veterans and have been there done that, and don't care to re-live. Many human resources complaints are occurring and no one is invincible forever.

"Take the experience and move on to a better employer"

Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good amount of experience can be learned here to advance ones career (only not here at the airport)

Benefits good, however unaffordable for single parents, or most any parent for that matter

Cons

Pay is below average

Pay raises every year are way too low

Cannot afford the health insurance

No promoting here at DFW, or what little does occur is unfair. Use the airport experience to better yourself with an employer outside who cares about workers.

Managementnow telling employees to limit sick leave useage in a threatening manner. Stating employees need to bring a doctor note even if using a single sick day during a 3 month period.

Many upset people in this organization and only worsening. I'm sorry but putting Starbucks coffee at employee coffee stations is not going to counteract the poor treatment, lousy raises, and high insurance costs.

Advice to Management

Give employees a decent raise for hard work, quit acting like dictators to employees. You would be surprised how better treatment would improve attitudes. Read other reviews, many are very accurate.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Water/Wastewater Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Water/Wastewater Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are none at one time this was a good place to work

Cons

Management sucks and the will let you go for no reason at all. They will tell lies to get you fired. I know they did it to me.

Advice to Management

Leave and go some were else.

"honest opinion from my perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very decent benefits, it is rare these days to have
    Truly some talented and great officers to work with
    Stable and decent income for beginners
    Tuition reimbursement is a plus

Cons

I notice that management is unbelievable, and not in a good way. Direct supervisory personnel up to Executives are arrogant, belittling, uncaring. I am talked down to frequently like a child, other times I am threatened in meetings, with a closing statement "we care and value employees ". Uh huh.... Let me tell you myself, along with most peers do not trust any leader within the airport. In my department there are many individuals who are negative, and becoming downright angry. Management was recently replaced and are overly authoritarian, I am retired military, I dont want to be talked to like I am still enlisted.

The job is not difficult, it is a menagerie of poor management, unethical management, selfish and uncaring management that make the job so unsatisfying. Recently numerous surveys have come out in hopes to boost engagement. One day catering was provided, however officers could not eat unless the participated in a survey. Im sorry but management 101 shouldn't know better than to act this childish. Many walked out and opted to not participate.

My department is under a growing spell and several positions have opened recently, however unless you are having lunch with the awful Assistant Vice President and sucking up you wont go anywhere. Many peers have tried to better themselves by attempting to promote into police or fire and have been successful . One officer told me they had applied for 30+ jobs during his several years with DFW. Others state one will either die or retire in the department, its a very frustrating place to report to daily.

I know over 30 peers actively looking elsewhere, people are not slaves and there is very little incentive to work hard in this organization.

Advice to Management

The job that was described during my interview is in no way accurate to what the job entails. You need to explain the job better. This authoritarian method of micro management style will only make employees less engaged and turn people off. Try talking to employees more respectful, more appreciative, more value.

"Buyer Beware Managment knows How Horrible They Are."

Current Employee - Other/Individual Contributor
    Current Employee - Other/Individual Contributor

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

DFW has an onsite wellness center and benefits.

Cons

The culture and management is toxic. There is NO real support for the "rank and file", the individual contributor. Once you try to bring anything to management's attention, you become a target and have a bullseye on your back. You become the problem. Isolation is a method that HR has used for years to deal anyone who goes against the establishment. You can forget about getting promoted or changing positions. Also, everything you share with HR is shared with someone in management to make sure they cover their backs. Every year an employee engagement survey is given to the employees asking for real insight on what is disengaging them. Every year employees provide real feedback. ETAM, CX, and HR need to clean house on their authoritarian, militaristic management teams. DFW claims it has development plans for employees, but it doesn’t develop them. It focuses on full cycle recruitment but NOTHING on retaining. There is a complete misguide strategy to target new blood, yet it’s the old blood that has been keeping the ship afloat through every budget crises imaginable. Not a pleasant place to work.

Advice to Management

Many have attempted to advise you but you are so arrogant, you would rather cut your nose off to spite your face. When managment has a GOD complex, there is no advice that would be accepted internally or externally. Management knows how horrible they are and seem to enjoy it.