DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Sean Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone respects the work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Health benefits are decent, pay is mediocre and the paid vacation time is generous (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot afford the health insurance (in 5 reviews)

• HIGH turnover for newer employees (those who have been hired < (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Community"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Stress is low, and people are professional and upbeat. Everyone respects the work life balance. Finally, everyone knows why they are there - to keep the airplanes flying. The common vision is very clear.

Cons

It takes a little longer to get things done around here. Its possible to be waiting for people go get back to you.

Nov 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We couldn’t agree more that our employees understand how their role contributes to the success of the Airport. In fact, in our recent employee... More

"BK Crew Member"

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time

Pros

Relaxed management
    Great coworkers
    Above average pay

Cons

Super busy at times because it is at the airport

"Haters and Cheats"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension if hired more than ten years ago

Cons

Hostile work environment, discrimination and social bias.

Advice to Management

Stop the coverup and corruption.

"DPS"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for growth and opportunity.
    Above average pay.
    Yearly merit raises.
    Good Livewell incentives.

Cons

HR is an ongoing issue. Absolutely ridiculous. It starts at the top. Seriously need to clean shop within HR in order to solve problems.
    There are great leaders within DPS however they are fighting never-ending HR complaints from employees who have been there 20+ years and who resist any and all change. One of the reviews mentioned new leaders “jumping ship” when it gets difficult and it’s because they are fighting a constant uphill battle of crap from HR and employees who refuse to change. Then when they are forced to change they makeup complaints against management. People expect to promote because “they’ve been there 20+” years instead of actually earning it. So they complain when they promote/hire externally. It’s called work for it and show you’re competent instead of making up rumors about your supervisors.
    It’s honestly like a high school with all of the “he said, she said.”

Advice to Management

CEO please take action and overhaul the corrupt HR department before we lose more good people. Your top performers and change agents can’t do their job and affect change when they are constantly being pulled into trumped up HR investigations. You will always have the same problems if you don’t make a major change in the way operations are ran. Support your people!!

5. "Terrible Decisions and Mistakes in Airport Security"

Current Employee - Airport Security Officer
    Current Employee - Airport Security Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro to DFW Airport is that there are some great people who work here and you might make some friends

Cons

The Airport Security Division used to be an awful place to work. Full of lies and discrimination and no one cared about us. Then we got a good Chief and a really good Manager and a project director who really made things better for us. Things were really going well and we all felt like there was a reason to come to work again. Well guess what? Once again, human resources screwed up and punished the wrong people. So now instead of taking away the awful assistant manager who treats us all like complete trash, they took away the only three people here who cared about us. This place is a joke. Don't let anyone tell you that DFW cares about anybody, because they don't. We are all just pawns in HRs sick game. The only reason the assistant manager is still here is because she has friends in HR and a aunt on the board that she brags about all the time.

Advice to Management

We had good managment until your clueless hr took them out. Its obvious you only protect minorities anyways. If you want ASD to be better then stop taking away the only people who cared about it.

"DFW is a deceitful and very opaque employer. starting with Human Resources"

Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. Excellent learning opportunity, especially if a person wants to enter politics one day.

Cons

Pay raises are biased, low for some and higher for a very few. Even the higher raises for the small percentage of chosen individuals is low overall. Human Resources is of very little benefit to employees, the previous review on October 27th is as accurate as possible. I dealt with the dysfunctional DFW airport human resources for almost 20years. It has always been a poor excuse of advocacy for employees, it's sole purpose has and still is to screw employees over and back management. Very high turnover over the years, including an interesting story if a previous higher figure in he being terminated, verified by local news station KTVT channel 11 news. Oh if channel 11 only knew the facts, HOWEVER DFW hr spun it around as it always does, always picking out a fall person. Kudos to prompting an executive to comment. I have not had any dealings with this individual, however who he reports to has been a major downfall to this department for over a decade. I see by his response the place is still absolutely clueless which doesn't surprise me. I mean afterall we at DFW foster, nourish employees, and encourage advancement blah blah blah. They still think they are amazing and everyone loves working there.

Employees instigate lawsuits frequently at DFW due to the fact that management is absolutely horrid, and treats people so poorly. This trend will continue until executives finally figure out they have been and are wrong.

Many glassdoor reviews are highly accurate, the ones with 4 stars and above are skeptical. Take it from someone who dealt with their abusive behavior for many many years.

After leaving I have felt a massive weight being lifted and am much happier now than I ever was while employed for these crooks. In fact it is amazing talking openly with numerous individuals that have either known or currently know someone who worked it works at DFW and the extremely low opinion these people have of DFW. It used to be good from what I hear back in the 80's, 90's and basically has steadily become worse and worse, probably not for executives but for the common folk employees.

I encourage anyone to post how frustrating and demeaning their employment was with this organization!

"HR Dept is very biased and all reviews abt HR is true"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

LiveWell and perfect work life balance

Cons

No room for advancement, raises are not fair, high school mentality

Advice to Management

The review about HR is very accurate and the response from the VP shows the intimidating environment that HR creates. HR has many policies and procedures that employees are expected to adhere to. However they practice the total opposite. If, you’re fortunate enough to be accepted into clique you just say the word and you’ll be promoted. HR operates on a revolving door type plan. It’s very true all around people are looking to leave which was revealed in their engagement scores. DFW would rather hire from outside than take the time to develop and promote within. Yes, DFW will boast and say they offer all type of development opportunities. Which is true however it’s only offered for the employee to take those skills and utilize them else where because you won’t be promoted especially within HR if you hadn’t been accepted within their internal clique.

I wish more people would speak out against the bureaucracy within DFW and realize there’s power in numbers

8. "asd"

Current Employee - Asd in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Asd in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job not much to do

Cons

long hours not much to do

Advice to Management

listen to the little guys

Nov 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experiences and how we can improve. If you would like to share more feedback, please email us at... More

9. "Department of Public Safety"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Good starting pay, excitement always at DFW

Cons

High turnover, Raises are hard to get, Politics are big here.

"Everything is putrid here, very disturbing place to work. Shame it could be a great place"

Current Employee - Airfield Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Airfield Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very limited pros to working in such a place. I suppose the pay is slightly above average than many similar companies. Benefits are offered at a very premium price, however they are above what I am used to receiving. While superiors are absolutely horrendous many peers are really good people to work with.

Cons

Way too much backbiting created from a hostile work environment. Most people I work with despise coming to work and are always looking for other jobs. Superiors are not fit for the roles they maintain, they do not have a clue what they are doing, create a very hostile and negative environment for employees. Favoritism is very common and exceptions made for some. The process to promote is highly questionable, it is aimed at promoting favorites and not necessarily the most qualified (good ole boy system). I feel the airport is aware of some improvements needed but things just seem to be getting worse. I never had high blood pressure in my life until several months after starting here. Peers ask me where I work and I get a pitty look, apparently DFW has a well known reputation for not being a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Tone The ego down. Lead fairly and by example. Quit favoring your cronies. Look out after your people, not yourself.

Nov 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re disappointed to hear your employment experience has not been what we intended, and we would like to address some of your concerns.

Our... More