DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Sean Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone respects the work life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good benefits, employee gym, potential to learn a diverse set of skills from across the different business groups, lots of training, tuition assistance" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DFW cares about the people that work for the organization. They do a great job in reminding employees the importance of work/life balance. The LiveWell gym available on Airport property is an amazing benefit and DFW follows through on its promotion of a healthy lifestyle. It is rare to find an organization that encourages its employees to take advantage of the free exercise classes offered and they provide incentives throughout the year to earn additional days of pay.
    DFW is very aware of its status as a global airport and is extremely cognizant of how important the people at DFW are for the Airport to accomplish its goals. It was a great place to work and I will take many of their beliefs into my next organization.

Cons

Every organization has room for improvement and DFW takes the feedback it receives seriously and implements action items based on the feedback. The only con I would think is the time it sometimes takes for implementation to happen.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on collaboration and stressing the importance of your employees as you move forward.

2. "90 Day New Employee"

Current Employee - Ambassador Program Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ambassador Program Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy, friendly people to work with.

Cons

It is obviously a 24/7/365 operation. Most positions are not 8a-5p

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Only getting worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love many of my peers, they make the day a little brighter in such a dark hole.

Cons

Terrible management put in place from the top down. DFW apparently thinks the more management that is hired the problem will be solved. It is only exasperating the situation.

Most of the hiring is done from the outside, hence limiting promotion.

Micromanaging.

Livewell penalty for not jumping through their hoops like a well trained dog.

Very old style work environment, most are very stuck in their ways.

Advice to Management

The job market is improving, I suspect there will be a sucking sound emanating from DFW Airport shortly. Employees will move on to better places. Your bullying methods only drive a wedge between yourself and the job, reducing productivity and quality of work.

"Document Control Scan Coordinator"

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay & benefits 40 hours M-F 8 to 5
    DFW International Airport is a great company to work for!!

Cons

Some management unprofessional causing a lot of employees to leave the company in one major department only.

Advice to Management

Help team players to achieve better opportunities to grow in the company

"Corporate Communications"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My days are numbered and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Cons

Where do I begin? The leadership of the entire organization is appalling and unbelievable. Very old school, not open to new/innovative thinking, places all the wrong people in management positions, and yet somehow think they’re one of the greatest organizations. This place has never heard of great leadership, transparency, great leadership, smart people, great leadership, the 21st century, and great leadership. It’s a cesspool for incompetence, laziness, mediocrity and managers can do no wrong/whatever they want. My team just went through a reorg and it’s done nothing but create more confusion on top of the disorganization that already exists. If you’re hired to do a job be prepared to be micromanaged and belittled and work under a “what did we do last year” mentality. Everyone complains about their job or leadership here but are too complacent and strong willed to leave....I am/was one of them.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and stop messing with people’s careers and livelihood. Take credit for how horribly your running this place and don’t act confused when people leave. Deep down you know why and you need to accept it and resign or figure out how to turn this place around. Your culture is sickening, can’t believe I’m still a part of it. An airport/region like this deserves more and it’s sad you people think you’re so great. If only our constituents and industry knew how badly this place is ran.

"Leadership Incompetence"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at DFW International Airport (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health care clinic and gym

Cons

A disaster since current CEO assumed position. No airport experience. Incompetent HR and Infrastructure and Development leadership. No one overseeing consultants running Design, Code and Construction wasting public funds. Staff demoralized and demeaned. Leadership has affairs with subordinates and CEO and HR look the other way.

Advice to Management

Airport Board needs to be fired and new Board placed in charge to flush the current Incompetence within overpaid CEO and EVPs.

"DPS - Airport Security Division"

Current Employee - Officer
    Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Great Co-Workers, they are the only other reason to come to work
    The Cons below are only the tip of the iceberg

Cons

Incompetent Management, from supervision all the way up. Our Assistant Managers are a joke, One of them only needs to be searched on the internet to find out he has a horrible sketchy past and is a “Snake”. They do not care about their people, and their lives that they will flip upside down just to prove they have “Balls”. 90% of Supervision is a joke and talk down to us like we are children.... hell, they think they are actually drill sergeants, they are a complete joke! You can never plan your life accordingly because they keep changing your hours and days off, they even stripped the seniority from the department. Over the last 1 1/2 years, this department has tanked to its lowest, and seen its highest turn over rate of any department, and history may repeat itself soon.

Advice to Management

I don’t know what to say, I’ve only scratched the surface of problems, but management needs to start listening and having some compassion for their people, because things are really about to hit the fan! Things will come to light soon, the past can’t stay hidden forever. And to the Interim..... Get a clue, all the problems are so easy to solve, the Operations side is the problem. We are top heavy with management, evenly distribute your shifts with an 8 hour work day, and have normal days off through the week. And teach management how to respect people, then they will maybe earn it.

"Airport Security Division"

Pros

Live-well gym, pay and benefits, and the employee special at Ling and Louie’s and then go to the Icebox Cafe for their out of this world cookie.

Cons

Where to start...Management and supervisors treat and talk to you as a child, everything is done as if you are in the military and last time I checked we were civilians.
    Management has no clue on how to manage their officers, they belittle and micromanage everything that you do or say. Management says that they are “open” to ideas and when you suggest something that might help the department they just take the idea with no feedback whatsoever which shows that they really don’t care or value your ideas or thoughts.
    In all the places that I have professionally worked I have never seen such a high turnover, this department has turned into a revolving door of officers.
    Morale in the department is at an all time low with no efforts from the management team to try and improve it or listen to the officers concerns or rectify the situation.
    This department is so top heavy but yet they seem to take the focus off that and focus on the officers instead by taking away things that the officers actually enjoy.
    They keep flip flopping the schedule so it is impossible to have a work/life balance that the airport so calls promotes.
    Overall management is 95 percent a joke, senior management needs to seriously take a closer look at this department and get down to the core of the problem and that is the management team, it all starts at the top and rolls down hill.
    This department has fallen too far down the hole to even climb out of and my faith and confidence in this department are gone.
    If you want a job where you work for a department run by an incompetent team with no future then this is for you, but I would take this experience of what not to do as part of a management team and move on to a better and brighter company.

Advice to Management

They need to take a step back and look at the picture as a whole to rectify this problem.
    Director Alan Black needs to personally look at this department and figure out why there is a high turnover rate and why morale is so low.

"By far the worst servitude of any employer I have ever had to endure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 weeks vacation starts accruing from day 1, which is more than others
    The majority of people you work with are very good
    Benefits are affordable for the employee, and very comprehensive

Cons

1. Constant turmoil from the top down, it is a complete crapshoot daily on what new policy or procedural changes will be implemented.
    2. Leaders like to think they are genuine and making good decisions, however when the attitudes are as low as this place CLEARLY these decisions are not wise. I have never seen a place filled with so much negativity and discontent for management and the job as a whole, from what I hear from a few of the people who have worked here for many years the place has been dysfunctional, out of control, and in turmoil since the beginning almost two decades ago.
    3. Officers are treated with no respect, and sometimes even abused when forcefully sent to work in environments with no restrooms, no breaks, dusty, dirty, hazardous chemicals and friable asbestos present. How this place hasn't been sued more is beyond me. I have been sent to a heavy construction area for a 10 hour shift and literally never was relieved by anyone for a restroom, nor meal break
    4. Because of the poor attitudes and low morale many people call in sick habitually and supervision doesn't like it. So.... What is there solution? Hide the 2 week schedule from all 100+ officers in hopes people won't call in when assigned to a poor location (most assignments are in a poor working environment). So now you as an employee have no idea whether you should bring a lunch because you may or may not be assigned in an area with no food, running water, or restrooms. Or you may be assigned in the terminal, you may have more comfortable shoes you purchased for that reason, yet with no schedule one never knows how to prepare for work. I can't tell you how many lunches I brought and yet ended up throwing away due to no refrigeration or means to heat.
    5. Special units within were created by the previous regime that were formed as a means of advancement and looking good with ones service, these special units are now being disbanded. The officers who were in these units will become regular officers and very little in regards to advancement will exist. In fact many say reductions in staffing are coming.
    6. The raise most get here in the Airport Security Department are lower than one would expect, lower than most places I have worked in the past.
    7. Many started here hoping it could lead to promoting to police with the Airport DPS, however most police officers don't give you the time of day and it is extremely difficult to promote up.
    8. There is much harassing and favoritism shown by management here, the employees that seek assistance from human resources are surprised to find little to no assistance and human resources is not on your side here.
    9. 10 hour shifts with no lunch break, talking of implementing 12 hour shifts.

It is a revolving door here with employees, management and executives are clueless and truthfully don't care. The airport obviously has many deep rooted issues judging by all the reviews here in so many departments.

Advice to Management

First off STOP the direction you are headed. Regroup and re-think current objectives. Open your eyes to what exactly you are putting your employees through. Make a consorted effort to treat employees with respect and value and NOT the current fluffing method of empty promises and no merit in the faux value you instill with praises. Quit worrying about certain staffing levels and ensure officers are relieved properly while on the job.

"Horrible Management"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and the benefits (vacation)

Cons

No millenial could stand this place. No managerial/leadership skills. Managers act like high school kids.

Zero flexibility despite being a salaried employee. Showing up any minute after 8:30am is considered “late” yet you are expected to work past 5:00pm to finish your objectives.

Managers act high and mighty to win recognition and trust of leadership but really do no work and slave their direct reports away. More like dictators than leaders.

Managers get all support and trust from leaders solely because of their title.

Managers suppress their employees by taking credit for their ideas, keeping them from attending meetings, refusing communication with them and passive-aggressively discounting their creative thoughts/ideas or anything they do that shows they are harder and better workers

Managers talk poorly about you and your work to other employees on your team.

Managers show no appreciate for the work done and constantly scrap to find reasons why you are a “bad employee” all which turn out to be more personal attacks than work related criticism.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers when they create hostile and unfair work environments for their employees.

Fire your managers when they continuously show they do not support nor care for their direct reports’ career or professional development

Fire your managers when they are known to have continuously personally attacked their direct reports through mid-year and full year reviews.

Fire your managers when you realize that they don’t want to manage but instead be a dictator and slave their employees instead.

Fire your managers when you know they are trying to keep control by suppressing the work and creative thinking of their direct reports. When they repeatedly say “no” to any new ideas, to asking to be more involved, to requesting more communication and information or to ANYTHING.

Fire your MANAGERS.