DHA Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
David Hale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great potential with a few kinks to work out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

DHA does an excellent job of appreciating its employees and subcontractors. Although it's still a small business with some management issues to iron out, the people are sincere, hardworking and well-intentioned. When employees raise issues to management they are taken seriously and addressed in short order.

The pay is competitive with other contractors in the DC area and the benefits allow for significant personal growth.

There's a strong sense of camaraderie among the headquarters staff that makes new folks feel that they are part of a team working to support the security of the country.

Quarterly Award happy hours are a blast with an open bar, good food and cash prizes for above-and-beyond performance.

DHA's business has mushroomed over the past few years off of its main $1 billion contract vehicle. Late last year it was also awarded a slot on a new $30 billion 8-year vehicle. If the management staff can effectively handle the growth, DHA will become a significant force in the federal contracting world.

Cons

2010 was a major restructuring year for the company with significant turn over that was a bit destabilizing for its employees.

The billable employees in the field, by the nature of their work, are unfortunately a bit alienated from the rest of the company and only see the whole crew at the quarterly awards.

While it's been acknowledged and is being addressed, the HR department is playing catch up with the rest of the company. This manifests in mild to moderate frustration amongst the employees. On-boarding for headquarters positions is a laborious process that involves a biased "look and feel" interrogation - the criteria of which seems to be constantly changing. This has been a significant pain for the recruiting department and has forced the rest of the company to fill in for positions that have remained open for far too long.

Advice to Management

DHA needs to build a solid level of middle management below the owner and vice presidents that can handle the day to day business so the execs can focus on fixing structural issues.

DHA's prosperity stems from how incredibly successful its execs have been at building strong and lasting relationships with clients and quality partners based on attentiveness, dignity and respect. This mentality for customer service must permeate throughout the management staff if DHA is going to rise to the next level.

2. "Great company to get into"

I have been working at DHA Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DHA is a very personable close-nit place to work. The administration has come a long way from growing pains due to growing so rapidly to the employee's happiness as a goal. The PM's are very personable and have an open door policy. DHA is well known with the clients with a great reputation. The company is steadily growing even in this downfall economy. The benefits are the best I've seen in the area.

Cons

Schedule flexibility depends on an individual manager. Some are and some are not. Not something DHA has control over though.

3. "Very rewarding work, excellent salary and benefits."

Current Employee - Task Lead in Clarksburg, WV
    Current Employee - Task Lead in Clarksburg, WV

I have been working at DHA Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best decision I ever made was coming to DHA! Competitive Salary, Benefits, easy access to owner and management, personal growth, compensation policies, leadership,

Cons

focused portfolio, growing too fast

Advice to Management

Make more time for interacting with the customers and employees.

4. "Senior Program Analyst"

Pros

Great company, hires the most talented people and lets them do their job, the right balance of company oversight. Provides the necessary infrastructure and tools for the staff without a lot of overhead keeping costs down and rates competitive. Employees kept in the loop with frequent company events.

Cons

Like all area government contractors subject to the whims of those clients and limited bench. Subject to the ebbs and flows of contract awards.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, treating the people as people and focusing on delivering quality to the client.

5. "Great Company"

Pros

Nothing bad to say a great company to work for

Cons

I have nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

This is a Great company to work for

6. "Great Opportunity for those who can do whatever it takes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at DHA Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DHA encourages professional development through tuition assistance. Culture encourages collaboration. 401K Matching is good. DHA regularly engages employees and subcontractors through 1 on 1 meetings, lunches & dinners.

Cons

Prepare for 60+ hours per week if you're salaried. Outside DC area, medical plans cost more.

7. "Consultant"

I have been working at DHA Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DHA believes in customer service first for their employees.

Cons

We don't have as many social events as we used to.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Nonya Business Specialist
    Current Employee - Nonya Business Specialist

Pros

Down to earth company. Not a lot of overhead, meetings and bs you get from some contractors. They mainly just pay you and leave you alone (all I ever wanted!).

Cons

Health insurance isn't cheap. Outside of that the only negative things I've seen/heard are from this site.

Advice to Management

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear and Beer before liquor, never been sicker....

Stay thirsty my friends.

9. "Rewarding career with growth opportunities, yet good work-life balance."

Current Employee - Task Manager
    Current Employee - Task Manager

Pros

I have worked for other small contracting firms as well as one of the biggest defence contractors throughout my career, and I have been treated the best by DHA. I'm respected as an individual and given the opportunity to use my talents, and given the chance to learn new skills. When I wanted to advance my career, I was given the opportunity, and provided with a mentor who is helping me gain the experience and skills to keep moving toward my career goals.

This company rewards those who work hard and take initiative to go the extra mile for the client or the company.

I am able to easily balance the demands of my job with the needs of my family. Management understands that employees have lives outside of the office, and respects the fact that family needs can, at times, take precedence.

Compensation and benefits are generous. Because we pride ourselves in the high-quality of our staff, we strive to provide our employees with the best benefits for themselves and their familes.

Cons

Because the company has grown exponentially over the past few years, there have been some growing pains, but that is to be expected.

As a contracting company, most employees are embedded in client sites. These enviornments are often not as nice as the DHA home office.

10. "Glad I got in on the ground floor, it's only going up now."

Pros

As a small company, there is very little bureaucracy getting in the way of open communication and the senior management is dedicated to maintaining this level of communication as the company continues to grow. As a small company, there are greater opportunities for involvement in multiple areas throughout the company, and career growth is dependent exclusively on your effort. The company works very hard at fostering a team atmosphere so that even the people who are working off-site feel connected.

Cons

The environment isn't for everyone. The company places emphasis on creativity and flexibility, so if you want to work in an environment in which every process is already strictly defined, then DHA is the wrong place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.