DHG "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 246 reviews

3.9
DHG CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow
  1. "With any merger there is a change in culture"

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management is very intelligent and has a great open door policy. The Benefits package was excellent, as was the time off policy and having a work life balance.

Cons

Due to many different mergers the small accounting firm feel is in the past and the upper management has more of a concern on the bottom line than their employees needs.

Advice to Management

In consideration to the geographic location the salaries are not as competitive as competitors and staff is overworked and under appreciated.

DHG2014-10-21

"Better than other accounting firms"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to start for a college graduate Networking opportunities Great work life balance compared to other Tax and Audit firms

Cons

The pay is low Even if you're a SME in your field, management still treats you like a junior resource Absolutely no effort put into employee retention Abysmal work life balance compared to any other industry No communication strategy No remote work or telecommunication policy Out of date social media policy Poor IT support Sometimes you get put on projects where you bill a whole lot of money, provide...

Advice to Management

Right now, your go-to-market strategy is being a catch-all for folks who flee or wash-out of the Big 4. Nobody wants to be the "Great Value" brand of consultant. If you want to attract and retain top talent, you need to differentiate yourself in the industry, otherwise the only people who will stick around are the ones without the talent to succeed anywhere else.

DHG2014-10-24

"great company with lots of opportunity!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture is very laid back, not like traditional accounting firms. Work-life balance is pretty good. Of course busy season is going to be long, hard hours and weekends but most other weeks you get your 40 hours in and you're good to go. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and you get to decide what path you'd like to go down.

Cons

Message from the top isn't always communicated through all levels. Can feel like you're in the dark about things.

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively. Your employees are listening and would like to help/know what's going on.

DHG2014-07-08

"Long hours, poor benefits. Watch your back."

Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at DHG full-time

Pros

Interesting people, challenging work. the office parties can be fun if everyone participates. Free food and drinks, snacks like chips and pretzels. Our office manager was a wonderful person.

Cons

This is just my personal experience. I worked for this company for right at two years and was overall very satisfied in the beginning. However, management feeds you lies about how if you get promoted the work-life balance will be better. You will breathe, sleep, eat, and drink Dixon Hughes Goodman and you will never have any free time. "But that's public accounting everywhere" they chime. Wrong. The turnover in this firm...

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and stop caring only about the bottom line. I actually had someone tell me "well if we can get a good 3-5 years out of most people then that's all we need." Try harder to retain good talent. Senior management, get out of your ivory tower and actually be involved with the day to day running of the company.

DHG2014-07-24

"Great company!"

I have been working at DHG

Pros

People, work-life balance, paid time off, recruting

Cons

Compensation, trying to move to more "Big 4" model

Advice to Management

Don't lose the culture, it's why so many people work here

DHG2014-06-20
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally across the board this company is unlike most accounting firms. Partners care about their employees and their development. It's a corporate company but every office makes their own decision on how they want to move in the marketplace. The Jax office is very relaxed where the partners treat you as an equal. There is opportunity however you'll have to put in your time and show your skills through your work. Work-life...

Cons

Still has that traditional accounting feel. Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards. Corporate company so there's always someone else you have to ultimately answer to.

Advice to Management

Favorites are always going to happen but trying to minimize it as much as possible would create a better culture.

DHG2014-04-04
  7. "Audit Associate"

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great working environment and leaders. Benefits are really good since we became a bigger company, I enjoyr most things about the job.

Cons

The work-life balance is pretty challenging especiall in busy season when you are working 50-60+ hours per week. Also, promotions could be a bit faster and there usually is little praise that goes around.

Advice to Management

Give a little more praise.

DHG2014-03-06
  8. "Marketing"

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company offers true work life balance.

Cons

This company is still working on establishing a national brand.

DHG2014-02-27

"Good place to work but moving toward big 4 mentality."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Asheville, NC

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyable group of people to work with. Technology and training better than average. Strong ethics.

Cons

Moving towards Big 4 corporate culture minus the name recognition. Talk more about work life balance than put it into practice...more work less life. Small annual raises.

DHG2013-08-14
  10. "Very Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at DHG

Pros

Encouraged to work on your own and to develop client relationships, Very good work - life balance, Excellent oppourtunities for advancement, Good Pay and benefits, Excellent Training provided

Cons

Long hours during busy season, hey we are an accounting firm and busy season happens.

Advice to Management

Management has done well with the recent merger (April 2011) between Dixon Hughes and Goodman & Co. The merger has combine two very vibrant organizations and we are continuing to understand the strengths of each organization and the synergies created with the the merging of the two organizations.

DHG2011-12-19