DHL Express Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 21 reviews

3.9
DHL Express CEO Ken Allen
Ken Allen
  1. "Forward thinking employer with high access to upper management"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salary, focused on improving, heavy collaboration between departments, keep sales force engaged with good commission structure and other incentives.

Cons

Relatively poor health benefits, difficult to settle in one geographic region because moving every 2-4 years is encouraged (in sales)

Advice to Management

Focus more on regional performance indicators, rather than global. Every part of the world is different.

DHL Express2017-12-28

"Was once a special kind of company - not for many years now"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

Decent pay structure and vast corporate structure provides premium opportunities for advancement, travel and relocation.

Cons

Horrible and abysmal merger with Airborne Express. Destructive process of "converting" old "legacy" accounts to new formats. Endless billing errors and lack of upper level management attention to ground level issues ruined domestic service. This was after the Labor Day employee slaughter of 2003 DHL couriers. 20-year employee who was "right sized" out of my Major Account Exec. position in 2008. Ten years later and I'm...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what long term, knowledgeable employees tell you in those pretentious annual surveys.

DHL Express2018-07-10
  3. "Pretty good company to work for."

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full-time job with decent benefits and an excellent training program.

Cons

The culture there needed an overhauling. This place didn't have me looking forward to coming everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep employees happy with some sort of non-threatening incentive to stay motivated.

DHL Express2018-01-28

"Phenomenal opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity at DHL Express especially if you are mobile and willing to move for your job. You never feel like your job is at risk. They are very big on coaching and inspiring you to be the best version of you.

Cons

If you are not so mobile the opportunities are somewhat limited. Being such a big corporation sometimes it is hard to feel that they are being transparent. They try very hard to be though.

Advice to Management

I have had a few managers in my various roles and each one has been unique. The ones who are too focused on giving feedback and trying topics out what you did wrong are the ones who are not respected. Please focus on giving a balance of good/constructive feedback.

DHL Express2017-08-22
  5. "NAM"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money is good as well as the employees.

Cons

Poor service, bad billing and customer service.

Advice to Management

Wale up and stop pricing accounts with no profit margin. Stop worrying about new business and start taking care of your loyal existing accounts.

DHL Express2016-11-09

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at DHL Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base salary was pretty solid, freedom to leave the office and not come back was great. True entrepreneur mind-set type of job. DHL has huge brand recognition all over the world.

Cons

The goals were unrealistic, 1 new account every week that spends over 2500 a month is next to impossible in most markets. The KPIs were more important to upper management then your actual success and revenue brought to the company. Micro-management doesn't even begin to describe the management style. Area sales managers were basically puppets for upper management and it was really tough to want to come into work every...

Advice to Management

Take a stand and try to implement what you know works. Sales is not a straight line and everyone has their own strategies to close business.

DHL Express2016-04-09

"Great Resume Builder"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Inside Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a great working atmosphere, footballs flying, cheering and such. Its a great job for a recent college grad. And an awesome Resume Builder. Good job to start learning how the Corporate world works

Cons

Boring job, company sometimes doest pay employees their bonus, and its a closed minded set or co workers. When you're and over achiever and want more out of life they look at you and treat you weird

DHL Express2016-03-24

"OK"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at DHL Express

Pros

Good Pay Good Benefits Nice People Good incentive plan Can move anywhere in the world

Cons

Micro management Too many bosses to report to You do multiple jobs it seems like

Advice to Management

Relax, and just worry about the numbers

DHL Express2015-01-09
      • "I love my DHL Express"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

-1st class global network. I email countries all over the world (i.e. South Africa, China, Brazil, etc.) -Great compensation. -Amazing culture. You get what you put in and some people dislike the work-life balance because they do not understand how to utilize our network to handle issues or get things done.

Cons

Selling is the easiest part of the job. There are so many factors that come into play with international shipping that can go wrong and give an easy out for customers. US based customers are so used to FedEx or UPS that if one thing goes wrong they will no longer want to do business with you. -Promotions should be given in reference to performance and not tenure within the company.

Advice to Management

Love the atmosphere and the goals of the company. There is never a time that I felt our management team on all levels does not care about the company, the customer, and the employee. -When implementing salaries for young professionals cost of living should factor in rent. The housing market in certain areas might be cheaper than others but rent is still high. Most young professionals are looking to rent and not buy...

DHL Express2014-09-16

"Work all you want they will make more"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity to make money with a "niche" international product

Cons

Work Life balance takes a hit, Competitors are getting more aggressive and competent, Management tends to Micro Manage

Advice to Management

Loosen your grip

DHL Express2013-11-14