DICK'S Sporting Goods Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
DICK'S Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to accomplish (in 58 reviews)

• Receiving no benefits as a part time associate sucks (in 94 reviews)

"Not for the faint of heart"

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Not too many pros for the footwear department. I guess the best one would be the discount.

Cons

Footwear department is HARD on a person. Constantly running up and down stairs and climbing shelves. Saturdays are horrendous, there is no way to serve all the customers in a timely manner which means you are run ragged and the customers are still upset when they leave.

Advice to Management

While I worked there, there were certain employees who were given preference over others as to their work week. Which left other employees working nights and weekends EVERY WEEK. Not very fair to those of us that have families.

"Great company, bad interpersonal politics"

Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA
    Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and programs for employees such as charity sales, blue call, pysch, etc

Cons

Management oversee the employees with the likeness of a controlled institution. The management have a regimen which consists of standing at the top of conveyors in shifts and surveilling the employees while they work, follow employees around the warehouse in an intimidating way even though the warehouse is completely wired with cameras, and favortism and corruption is so deeply embedded in the culture from management, that it makes working at a great company more than challenging. I am not ranting or venting, you are welcome to come and become apart of us and see firsthand.

Advice to Management

It is not so much the workers, but management's behavior needs to be reassessed by a third party. They have training classes so that is not working effectively. Therefore, I suggest a thorough dig and cut of the bad seeds to resolve these issues.

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buford, GA

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to wear gym shoes, that's about it.

Cons

Horrible management - they are only there to work you so they can make a bonus and move up in the company. They do not care if you have prior experience or a college degree, all they want is someone that can help make sales goals and work horrible hours. Hourly rate is poor, turnover rate is high, and hours are cut constantly, not guaranteeing the hours you were told at your interview.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the associates like drones, and more like people. And don't lie about hours when you interview people - Dick's will cut hours before they cut prices, leaving customers frustrated because there is no help on the floor and associates working multiple departments since there isn't enough coverage.

"Avoid At All Costs"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Buford, GA

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Management at this location is horrible. They definitely have their own agenda and only care about trying to make their budget. Management blame the employees for everything and rarely do you hear a positive message from any of them. It is extremely negative, demotivating environment. It is hard to have a positive attitude while working there.
    The pay is well below average for the area. There is little to no advancement opportunity. The General Manager of this location should be an Assistant at most. As a management team (senior management included) they have no idea that the problem is actually the management and their lack of ability to treat people fairly, nicely and positively. As a whole they are completely clueless as to why they are losing good people regularly and can't seem to hit their "numbers" on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to listen to your employees, some of them have a clue. Don't be so stubborn and think you are better than everyone else, because truly you are not. They need to take a step back and humble themselves. Engage with your employees and actually have conversations with them and treat them more than a robot. Also, don't refute everything they say since some of us are actually well educated and experienced, and, on a typical day, could run circles around you.

6. "No Advancement"

Current Employee - Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is important if you're young, but is not a big deal when you're trying to make ends meet or move forward.

Cons

No advancement from within, management often pushes blame on Department Managers. Employees get a few hours of computer training and then ate thrown to the wolves.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and take time to train, you might not loose so many tenured employees.

7. "Team Lead"

Former Employee - Team Sports Lead in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Team Sports Lead in Buford, GA

Pros

Great staff, decent pay, fun place to work, people are friendly and nice

Cons

Managers are useless puppets! Never to be found and when you finally find them is because Corporate is in the building or you will find them hitting Golf balls in our Golf Simulator. They treat their employees like slaves...they overwork them to the bone and without a lunch break. Long hours and working 7 straight days a week and instead of paying what they work, they cut the pay down to 40hrs instead of 60. They insult their employees and abuse them.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and learn to respect human beings.

8. "Dont work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Point, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Point, GA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods (More than a year)

Pros

Good associates,Employee discount,Good benefits,free lunch on overtime

Cons

Constant nit-picking,micro managing,making employees feel useless,a very racist company,no matter how much work is done it's not good enough,very poorly organized company,short 15 minute breaks in which you can be nowhere in the work area because they don't trust their employees it takes 5 minutes to get to the front of the building,also management berates employees any chance they get

Advice to Management

Recognize when you have good employees,start appreciating employees,treat people the way you want to be treated

9. "Has to be one of the worst jobs I have ever been in"

Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in Cumming, GA
    Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in Cumming, GA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the firearms department, which was great and fantastic because I'm able to talk to people and sell to people whom love and enjoy the same passion as I do.

Cons

I was harassed multiple times by 2 assistant managers, told to work on stuff that was out of my work field (which was never part of my job description), constantly made to make moves and changes around the store. One week I put together an entire isle, the next I was told to take the entire thing down. This happened all the time. The pay was sub par and the "employee discount" does not exists. Yeah you get 25% off but it's only on regular priced items. And when a sale came around the usually did get 25% off those items just like any other customer. Not only just that but guns and ammo; I never got a discount, many things that you would think you could get a discount you either did not get one or only 10%. They do a poor job taking care of their employees. Mind you that our store turn over rate is 145% which obviously means there is something wrong with this place.

Advice to Management

Quit harassing your employees because that's fine line of an HR complaint to a lawsuit. I'm sure I could find a lawyer and have a valid case because of these two separate managers but that's another story. Also understand that you pay your employees very poorly. So don't expect them to make everything look like a 5 star hotel and obviously as a leader look out for your employees welfare on top of being realistic on goals. You should understand the main job for us is to sale not to play bob the builder all day. So when a task does not get done 9 times out of 10 we are helping customers.

"The people you work with are great, the management needs some improvement."

Former Employee - Golf Associate in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Golf Associate in Canton, GA

Pros

It is a job.
    Neat stuff to play with at work
    25% discount on purchases
    Fellow employees were good people.
    If you like to stay busy, work in shoes or the lodge.
    Easy, simple work.

Cons

Constant complaining from employees about management and company policy.
    The left hand does not know what the right is doing. Lower level managers have no real clue what the store manager has in mind.
    Their prices are high...and they do not always match prices. Makes things tough to sell to a knowledgeable consumer.
    The goal of management is to make the store looks full, even though they have the same thing scattered everywhere.
    I was a temporary employee. When that ends, expect a bum's rush to the door. Definitely at will employment.
    Constantly asked to push socks. "Sir, along with you new shotgun, could I interest you in a pair of socks to keep the barrel warm?"
    Constantly on feet, find comfy shoes.

Advice to Management

You need to give your employees feedback, positive or negative.
    Very reactionary and short sighted, but that is retail.

11. "Retail is retail."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Decent discounts on "fun" sporting good products, some repeat customers that are enjoyable to interact with, bonuses are based on your particular store's sales so there's incentive to push the associates to do well.

Cons

The hours aren't good. The company sets expectations on metrics and when you achieve your goals they are never satisfied, so they simply up the goal or ask why you aren't doing as well as the top performer in your area.

Showing 52 of 2,629 reviews