DICK'S Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

3.8
DICK'S Sporting Goods President and CEO Lauren Hobart
Lauren Hobart
Pros
  • "nice work environment and a good staff(in 297 reviews)

• "Friendly staff fun work environment flexible hours(in 231 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours and a lot of hard work(in 154 reviews)

• "Very competitive to get a job part time(in 151 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DICK'S Sporting Goods and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

The giant of sports retail

Nov 16, 2020 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management staff, good work life balance, friendly associates, good benefits

Cons

If you do not manage your time you will work quite a bit

2. 5.0

Excellent work environment

May 8, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

clear direction team efforts flexible hours good salary quality products

Cons

early shifts late shifts quiet at times self-direction low stocks

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fun place to work, but temper your expectations

May 5, 2021 - Department Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work around your schedule mostly Areas to grow if you stay long enough

Cons

Low pay for the work you are expected to do when you start to rise in rank Promotions are often time based and not experience based A lot of people that don't care about their job, you get to pick up the slack Hard push to sell credit cards to the store Only 2 days they are closed are Christmas and Easter. Expect to work at ~5pm on Thanksgiving until about 2am

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fun place to work

Apr 24, 2021 - OMNI Lead in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

25% is pretty good. Schedule is flexible.

Cons

The dress code changes are awful! It's fine that we all wear matching shirts (we used to be able to wear any plain tech tee), I get that change. But Now we have to wear pants where we used to be able to wear shorts. This is a problem because 1.) We are expected to be hustling and it's hot! 2.) Pants are more expensive and we have to wear brands we sell. 3.) A lot of people are wearing sweatpants so it's far less professional than the shorts. I know many people have complained about this change and we haven't hear anything from corporate. Even if they just allowed shorts during the summer months that would be a great improvement!

5. 4.0

Good Summer Job in College

Apr 20, 2021 - Retail Associate in Grandville, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment especially on weekends. Time flew while working because I was usually pretty busy helping customers and keeping the sales floor clean and organized.

Cons

Cons were that I had to work long hours on holidays (4th of July I had to work from open to close). We were short staffed all summer but I handled it pretty well so they weren't quick to hire any more help. I was drowning in work and felt like I was extremely underpaid for all the responsibilities I had. The managers were always quick to remind me what work I needed to do yet but they never lifted a finger to help me out - this is why I ended up leaving. They did offer me a raise before I left which was nice.

6. 2.0

Okay

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

hours team Being able to pick your days as a part timer

Cons

They want you to make sure people are not stealing but once you report it , they do not do anything besides ask you to follow and when that customer makes a complaint, they end up telling that next time dont follow them even though the manager told you to do it. Also pay is okay but as a graduate from university, you would think it would be more

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Management

May 5, 2021 - Footwear Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

the lead manager at my store is great he truly cares about us and loves to see us succeed

Cons

just like every job there is good leaders and bad over all its a great place to work and a friendly environment

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Job

May 7, 2021 - Associate in Las Cruces, NM
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Didn’t really have any cons.

9. 4.0

Depends on Store Management

Feb 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved my store managers during my tenure at DSG. They made working in retail a relatively painless experience and really recognized when you did great work. In store rewards and discounts are incredible for a retail role and you genuinely feel like the company cares about the little guy which is incredibly foreign in corporate retail. Most customers aren't really bad and will let you know if they need help.

Cons

Working on the register is horrible. This is the corporate part that drives most associates insane. You have to ask every customer to enroll in a rewards program and if you're not above 70% you're written up. On top of that you have to ask every customer if they want to sign up for a credit card that has 36% APR. If you don't you'll be penalized for that as well.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0

Great and fun environment

May 3, 2021 - Anything Available in Olathe, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your coworkers and customers at DSG are fantastic! It's a fun and chill environment.

Cons

The managers make it their mission to make DSG your life, and if you can't cooperate they schedule you once every 3 weeks.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,906 Reviews