DICK'S Sporting Goods Reviews | Glassdoor

DICK'S Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

2,605 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to accomplish (in 58 reviews)

• Receiving no benefits as a part time associate sucks (in 94 reviews)

"Look Out - Here we come!"

Current Employee - Yeah Right. . . in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Yeah Right. . . in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Growth opportunity, compettitive environment, fun place to be. The company is constanly examining ways to be better at everything we do - especially compete. It is a lot of fun to be part of the winning team. The company's senior leadership is passionate about being number one. They are not afraid to make the necessary tough decisions to gain a competetive advantage.

Cons

Despite strong performances, pats on the back are often hard to come by... Incentive compensation is nice, but it also nice to hear you are doing a good job during the year. The company has addressed significant communication shortfalls recently, but not all managers have followed suit. Information is typically easy to get now.

Advice to Management

Don't fall in to the typical do more with less mentality... Continue to provide access to the physical and people resources we need to operate to your expectations.

"Every season starts at Dicks"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Taunton, MA

Pros

Flexalbe schedules, easy to get promoted, pay you very well when stay loyal to the company, great people to work with. They offer a good discount 25% of most items, useful for christmas.

Cons

have to work alot of holidays and weekends, no down time at work, there are always things to do, always changeing floor plans.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for employees to order new products for customers, if every season starts at Dicks, than we should be able to get our hands on every peice of athletic equipment

3. "Apply to Dicks!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO

Pros

Great People and awesome place to work. the store is very clean and fun to work at. The store has great products and equally great discounts If you love working at sporting goods stores, then you will love to work at Dicks.

Cons

Retail jobs are tough during holidays

Advice to Management

Great Job!

5. "vague"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

a fun and stable place to work

Cons

long hours can exhaust a guy

Advice to Management

patience is the key

6. "Best In Class Retailer"

Pros

High energy culture with a drive to succeed, they want to be the best and if you strive to be the best at what you do it is a perfect match. Senior management is respectful of the need for work/life balance and model that behavior. Dick's Sporting Goods gives back in many ways, a couple of examples are: local team sponsorships/donations and the St. Judes Children's Hospital "Thanks and Giving" program.

Cons

It is still a "high growth" company that is working to build processes and standards to ensure that work is done effectively. Standing out in the crowd can be a challenge if you are not an executive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "I love my job 85% of the time!"

Pros

Fast paced and challenging.
    Higher management respects the opinions and knowledge of store staff.
    Changes happen often and fast!
    We sell fun.

Cons

If you can't multi task, you can't run a DSG store. And if you don't like change, its not for you. Changes happen fast and often.

Advice to Management

Payroll seems to be an issue in every store. Not enough to have the proper coverage for the proper customer service.

8. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Awesome employer because they work around my school schedule and understand when I need days off.

Cons

Could slightly work on communication.

Advice to Management

Awesome management. Could slightly improve on communication.

"Good job if you don't need money"

Former Employee - Associate in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Pflugerville, TX

Pros

easy, simple, great managers, great co-workers, fun environment, great advancement opportunities.

Cons

They, as a corporation, don't pay very well. Not that the job really deserves good pay, a trained money could do it. They were there for me when I needed them and I'm greatfull for that. That being said, they don't pay shite.

Advice to Management

Loved the managers, they listened when I had problem, there were very little scheduling problems and the few that there were were easily resolved. Great team all around.

"Like pumpkins eating fishsticks."

Current Employee - Lodge Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Lodge Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Best customers in the world.
    Good discount, great pro deals, online discount websites.
    Really work around my schedule (I'm a college student)
    Promote involvement with activities. "Living the brand"

Cons

Managers are not interested in selling firearms. (I've been told by four managers in my store and both my district manager and DLPM). They don't understand that it is my job to sell guns to all qualified people who want them. They believe the company makes no money on guns but I insist that I can upsell the extras (ammo, case, cleaning kits, etc) Stores and departments are not staffed properly. I may have 8 cashiers with three standing around with their thumbs up their butts and I am covering two or three departments because people call out. Other associates call out way too much, in the army we call them Bravo Foxtrots. I've been here two years and never called out yet I know of people who call out three to four times a week and the company never fires them.

Advice to Management

Grow some balls. Fire people who suck.

11. "Fun to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monaca, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monaca, PA

Pros

advnacement is a plus in this company. there is a very good chance to move up in the company which is nice

Cons

sometimes you work with difficult empoyees. Meaning some just show up to work just to get a pay check while others truley enjoy working there

Advice to Management

None. I believe managment is doing a great job in promoting this company. I believe it is heading in the right direection

Showing 2,605 of 2,628 reviews