DIRECTV Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 39 reviews)

1. "Ad Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone was nice and willing to help you learn as much as you can. Very relaxed work environment.

Cons

Hectic during the Merger

2. "Principle UX Designer"

Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology was somewhat cutting edge at the time, cannot speak to how things are now that AT&T owns them.

Cons

The Latin America group was completely dysfunctional. The company promoted a technical person to manage a design team - so that came with the usual nightmare scenarios. Never could get permission or access to do real research with users/customers (which is the basis of a user-centered design process)
    Also, total boys club.

Advice to Management

If people are working for the Latin American group they should have some familiarity with Spanish, this seems basic

3. "Toxic enviroment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros I can think of, the experience was 100% godawful. The location is convenient and the building is clean would be the closet thing to a pro.

Cons

It's chaos. Too many egos. There seems to be a revolving door when it comes to hiring freelancers. There is constant bullying and sexual harassment going on.

Advice to Management

Management, you know what is going on, fix it.

4. "Editor"

Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work closely with producers and editors. Positive work environment and co-workers.

Cons

Wanting to be more involved and help out more (if and when there is time)

Advice to Management

Management is open and honest.

5. "Field Sup/Micromanager"

Former Employee - Field Supervisor/Micromanager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Supervisor/Micromanager in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free service. Made some life long friends. Learned some really good leadership/coaching technics. Basically they teach you how to be the best micromanager you can be.

Cons

Well. Other than them making you drink corporate cool aid, ruining your life and making you think Directv is the best thing since sliced bread. The CEO sold the company and all his minions out to the Almighty AT&T. Then he retires the day the deal is done. What a joke. The training they give leaders makes you micro manage your team so bad that the techs, (in my opinion the most important role in the company) often feel threatened for their job. HR is a freaking joke. All they do is back up the managers and help you work on a way to get rid of people. I hope AT&T fires all the upper managers and give the company a restructure. The guy that was my direct report was the biggest micromanager I have ever seen in my life, we would get about thirty emails a day, basically undermining every move we made. Nothing you do is ever good enough for this company, because of the unorthodox training. This company is full of snakes in the grass. Especially the ones that work in Tech support. These people sit in their stupid little cubicals all day and talk to techs like they are idiots. Get my drift. This company went from good to the waste basket. I believe it was because all the big Bonus managers where so scared for their job in the wake of the acquisition they literally went crazy making this a place for Suck ups and snakes. Good luck Directv, now part of the AT&T family. Lol

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the Cool Aid and get a life.

6. "No growth, good work/life balance."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

In creative services work/life balance is good. People are very nice, but they take their time to get to know you. Office is nice and in a good location.

Cons

Lots of freelancers in line for a full time position so you end up waiting over a year to become an employee, no matter what they promise you. Some managers tend to be micromanagers. There isn't much opportunity for advancement. People stay a long time and who knows if company will grow or not. There are not a lot of company events (some may consider this a positive). The atmosphere is more corporate than a traditional agency.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and explain the truth to those who wish to be hired.

"Unprofessional Working Environment"

Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a good engineering team and company tried to add more innovative projects.

Cons

It was highly hostile and political work environment. More than anything, it was very incestous place. Everyone was involved with one another, and that's how you moved up. Never want to work at a place like that.

8. "Product Design Intern for DMG"

Former Intern - Product Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Product Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned so much about the specifics of UI design. There are a lot of very talented, fun people working on the DMG team. It pays well, especially for an intern position, and the management cares a lot about your development on the team. Great intern events and lunches. Amazing kitchen with soda, coffee, tea, whatever you desire.

Cons

The company itself really struggles regarding the design team. I was on the design team for mobile/web experiences. There were so many unnecessary hurdles that we had to conquer. Design is not a key part of the DTV experience and you can tell by how the designers are treated by all types of staff. Engineers drive the company and are able to make decisions for their own comfort, because they are the easier decisions to make. The design team has little influence over the engineers and the products struggle because of it.

Advice to Management

find a way to incorporate the design team as more integral in the Directv product space. Priority should be given to designers for their creativity and vision.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits regarding TV and fitness center. Nice culture, great people to work with.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

nothing

10. "Good Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good company to work for -great people, great culture.

Cons

Yet to be determine how the culture and work environment will change after the AT&T transaction.

Showing 41 of 1,372 reviews