DIRECTV Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 38 reviews)

1. "Management failures galore"

Former Employee - Senior I T Specialist III in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior I T Specialist III in Huntsville, AL

I worked at DIRECTV (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free TV service for employees.

Cons

Their customer service structure was a complete failure. The backend software, training, supoort, etc.

Advice to Management

Hopefully AT&T will fix you!

"Team Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great people to work with

Cons

DIRECTV used to be a great place to work and somewhere you could be proud to say was where you worked. But, since AT&T bought them out, it is completely different. They look for reasons to terminate people, they have taken benefits away from people, fired employees that have been there for years... no one is safe there.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what works and don't change it. Stand up for your subordinates, listen to those on the front line... they know what works

"Reconnect agent"

Former Employee - Addiction Treatment Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Addiction Treatment Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are diverse and awesome la times building well kept. Energetic.

Cons

You don't really get incentives,also CRM system crashed alot....unconcerned with well-being of employees .

Advice to Management

Own the fact that everyone is human and mistakes will be made by everyone..however as long as it get corrected in timely matter give second chances....and stop make underranking employees the fall guy for management mistakes

"The absolute worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Cleveland, OH

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wish was there was any. Cannot think of anything good to say . There are reasons why I left and will never go back again

Cons

From top to bottom , ex employee and customer I can say that by far worst company to deal on all ends

Advice to Management

Do something about your service

"Access Card Distribution"

Former Employee - Access Card Distribution in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Access Card Distribution in Huntsville, AL

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a job. Granted they paid more than other places.

Cons

Benefits suck.
    Directv allows their customers to walk all over the Directv employees. It is always the employees fault no matter how badly CSR are treated by the customer.
    The CSR (employees) are not allowed to do proper troubleshooting. No matter what the issue is the CSR can only do a reset and check the cable. After that a service call is ordered.
    Other employees hae stolen things from me even if things were stolen in front a supervisor.
    One time another employee was preaching Mormonism in the cafeteria. I finally confronted him with what i believed in. That employee went to human resources and complained that he was offended that I was so anti-Mormon and he was also offended by my religion. I was called into human resources and they said "it was not appropriate and against company to preach your religious believes." I was also repremanded by my supervisor and my manager threatened to terminate me. The next time I saw this employee he literally crammed his Mormonism down my throat, consistantly badgering me with Mormonism and how wrong I was not worshoping Mormonism. What happened to him? Nothing.
    One more thing. I was a tier 2 technician (I was very good at it) I was demoted down to access card distribution. I did not fall from grace, my position was eliminated.

Advice to Management

If I was you i would leave Directv. They will find a way to get rid of you. Directv does not lay-off employees. Directv will come after you with bogus reasons to terminate your job. Especially after 3 years.

7. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DirecTv had great benefits from health, to 401k matching and free tv to offer. Unfortunately, these benefits didn't outweigh the cons.

Cons

They required 6 days a week of work for most of the year at about 10 hours a day. They had no problem sending you to work over an hour and a half from your home and still requiring that you be there at 8. You only get paid if the job goes in, and when you work in an area with a lot of trees, not many jobs do

Advice to Management

Communicate with the employees more and actually tell them when they will have to stay out late or if they will be sent to a job far away instead of avoiding them.

8. "install technician"

Former Employee - Install Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Install Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you will get to know how the satellite works and what the longest distance you can run a rj45 before you start losing connection

Cons

its a difficult job , dangerous , time consuming , you wont have a life , low pay

Advice to Management

do something about the pay and more safety tips for technician to work

"POTENTIAL FOR EMPLOYER EXCELLENCE SQUANDERED BY ARROGANCE AND GREED"

Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) The (meager) checks didn't bounce. (But you virtually always received the paper ones later than their designated pay date. This was one of several examples of Management knowing the right thing to do and intentionally choosing NOT to do it.)

2) To supplement below-fair market wages, (dwindling) benefits were provided.

3) The work was interesting and may even have been fulfilling if you could parry what seemed like the relentless effort of Management to make it tedious.

4) Everyone was REQUIRED to behave civilly in interactions with others. This was a major provision, since civility seemed to be contrary to the first nature of a significant number of people there.

Cons

1) Even with huge and steadily-growing profits, the greedy, megalomaniacal Management continually required more and more work from fewer people, while simultaneously whittling away at wages, benefits, and perquisites that those people had long had.

2) Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism ramped up to the point where they became the only way to advance. Consequently, Management's people-managing skills were nil. To them, positions of authority were merely places from which to comfort their friends and afflict their 'enemies'.

3) As a rule, the functions in the company that people were chosen for had a direct correlation with the dominant uninformed stereotypes about the race, ethnicity, age, gender, etc. that those people are identified with. As a rule, within each functional group, women were subordinate to men. The height to which you rose in the company depended heavily on this. For most positions of power or privilege, the best person, as gleaned from Management's ultimate choices, was VIRTUALLY ALWAYS the most Nordic-looking of available males who spoke English without a foreign accent.

Effectively, this was DirecTV's answer to 'diversity and inclusion': a deceptively similar strategy best described as diversity and EXclusion, wherein they hired a diverse group of people for low-level positions, but promoted an increasingly more homogenous subset of that group as rank increased (and presumably so did power, privilege, and compensation) until the diversity was nowhere in evidence at the highest levels of the company.

From a look at the results, it was apparent that Management had a social agenda that rivaled or exceeded its business agenda. In an official declaration, it came as close to saying that it did as it probably thought it could without leaving itself legally exposed. And an evaluation of the output of many of those chosen supported the perception that Management cared more about WHO did a job than about HOW WELL the job got done. Among the 'chosen ones', the Peter Principle was alive and thriving at DirecTV.

These observations are worth noting because: A) they could be objectively observed; B) it's the kind of information about a company that is not easy to come by; C) they are things that anyone who is considering working there or patronizing it would probably want to know beforehand; and D) IT MATTERS for a lot of reasons.

4) A deceptive practice employed by the company was to hire people with extensive experience for positions working in capacities that were NOT mainly in their areas of expertise. This way, it could enlist people for much less than the true market value of their labor. After the people were hired, they almost certainly would be assigned, at some point, to do work that the bulk of their expertise was in -- with little or no increase in compensation, of course.

Although DirecTV's engagement in some of these practices did not make the company unique among American businesses, it does make the company no less wrong for doing them.

Advice to Management

Clearly, beneficence doesn't come easy for you. Otherwise, for as long as things have gone as well as they have for you, it would have manifested by now. But, if you are at all capable of it, then you're long overdue to show some of it to ALL of the people who actually earn most of the money you keep for yourselves.

ALSO: Come out from your provincial, culturally-sequestered pseudo-comfort zone and experience the rest of the world! I assure you: it really is a lot less scary out here than it must appear to be from your 19th Century perspective.

10. "Convergys"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Decent cafeteria, decent training, along bus route

Cons

Poor management, attendance line is a joke, benefits are a joke

Advice to Management

Take care of your teams instead of just letting the newbies flounder.

"Worst Company ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Free programming and there are some really good people but they are the exception rather than the rule, from those just waiting retirement to those who will step on anybody anytime for any reason!

Cons

Unfortunately the really good people are not in Sr management. They discard people when they have used them up, just like putting out the trash no matter that they didn't have justification for it, people can be performing above standards and still they are cut loose.

Advice to Management

Weed out leaders who can't lead, decide what you want to be a company that values its existing customer base or one that simply lives with churn

Showing 180 of 1,350 reviews