DIRECTV Reviews | Glassdoor

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

1,228 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to get lots of overtime"

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped OT, cheap benefits, minimal supervisor interaction, Company vehicle. Safety is practiced.

Cons

Weather. Hot attics. Work holidays
    6 day weeks can be mandatory.

Advice to Management

A happy Tech is a hard working tech.

"exciting and interesting"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

I find it exhilarating and interesting. there's no time to be bored.

Cons

your work-family balance may suffer

Advice to Management

there are many things happening at the same time. Pause for a sec and look at the big picture.

"Great place to work. You are rewarded for good work."

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

You are the master of your own destiny. If you perform well and contrbute the sky is the limit. Good management. Just look at our results both with current financial metrics and sub growth. Cable is shrinking and FIOS has weak programming and limited HD options. We exceed in both HD content and were actually growing. Also the benefits at DTV are great. 401k, RSU, and pension. Not many companies give you that! Also our bonus is based on personal and business success. Upwards to 40% depending on your position.

Cons

Getting some people to view things at the macro level. We all need to understand how our contribution effects the whole company, not just our job or department. Smoe of the old timers are a little protectionist with information.

Advice to Management

Think ahead. Keep up the good work.

"I love working here, and I love the technological challenges."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, technologically challenging

Cons

No sick days. Only PTO days which are used for vacation + sick days.

Advice to Management

Bring back sick days. Not having sick days means people come in to work sick and infect everyone else around them.

"Not just the HDTV leader, the Employment leader!!!"

Current Employee - Training Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

DIRECTV is the best entertainment in the world, being a part of the Revolution is rewarding accross all platforms.

Cons

You cannot expect to join the team and expect to become the boss immediately. As with all career choices, time must be spent within the industry before this type of reward is available. You must learn your profession, especially the Satellite TV world.

Advice to Management

Train, train and then train some more. Technical training is not something learned in a short period of time, CSR's and Technicians must be dedicated individuals with a technical background with the expectation to make DIRECTV their choice for a career.

6. "DIRECTV is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

Pros

I like the industry, therefore I enjoy working at DIRECTV. I work in the customer care organization, it seems like the management is very together on this side of the business.

Cons

Having worked here for less than a year, I would not say that I have encountered any downsides.

Advice to Management

I would tell senior management to keep doing what they are doing. They are making good decisions, and taking the business in a positive direction. The only area we are lacking compared to our direct competitor is on the technology front. Perhaps they could purchase EchoStar's engeineering department in order to bring DIRECTV's STBs up to speed.

7. "Great place to intern at !!!"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in El Segundo, CA

Pros

DirecTV's internship program is a wonderful learning curve for any young engineer trying to make it big into the industry. Even as an engineer, many people are given really good development tasks. The mentors and managers are really supportive and encouraging which makes you feel less stressed while at work.

Cons

It actually depends on the department you work at. In some departments the work is quite repetitive but while in other you're enhancing the existing products or UI.

Advice to Management

The leadership at DTV is very well organised. Right now a lot of the employees out there are contract workers, but I would like to see the management employ more full-time employees.

"Great atmosphere and welcoming environment"

Former Employee - Ad Sales Marketing in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Sales Marketing in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Efficient internal communications and even though it is a relatively large corporation, the boundaries between management levels aren't explicit and managers talk to subordinates like it should be - friendly and as equals.

Cons

Not that many positions opening up for full time. Great opportunities for internships though. The only problem is a lot of the full time positions require at least a couple of years within the industry already. Of course, unless if you are an engineering student who just freshly graduated, other jobs like management, marketing, sales, finance etc are really only an option when you have already gained a few years of experience elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I think management is great within the Ad Sales team. It's like a giant family. Every week there is a meeting where the LA Ad Sales team has a conference call with the New York team and everybody is constantly kept in the loop. So information is Keep it up!

9. "DIRECTV is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Englewood, CO

Pros

DIRECTV is a great product that as an employee, you can really be proud of. We have great benefits, and overall the employees are treated well. You have the opportunity to interact with many departments within the company in which you are able to build many relationships that can promote upward growth.

Cons

Some of the promotions could be designed a little more fairly for customers. For example, the 12 month rebates should be automatic, which would provide a better customer experience.

Advice to Management

The national offer rebates should be instant. Customers should be able to change their equipment and packages within a certain time frame after activation, without having to pay for additional equipment or risk of losing their rebates.

10. "Really great place to work at."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Very well paid, management is very competitive, friendly environment.

Cons

Contractors get really bad cubicles. Plus there is a lot of moving around from building to building due to lack of space. Currently they are expanding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Showing 1,228 of 1,358 reviews